Cycling Glow plugs on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Can anyone tell me if there's a way for someone with a 2014 RAM 3500 with push button start, to force the glow plugs to cycle on, without cranking the motor? In the old days you used to turn the key to the run position and the glow plugs indicator light would come on, you waited for the light to go out before you turned the key to the start position, if you felt your truck needed it you could cycle this on a couple of times to ensure everything was good and hot before you attempted to start the truck in the extreme cold, The other day My 2014 ram refused to start but if I tried to cycle the glow plugs again the truck went right into start mode as the glow plugs I guess were still relatively warm. I would like to have cycled the glow plugs a couple of times prior to trying to start. Can this be done???

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Thr Cummins does not have glow plugs, it uses a grid heater to heat the intake air.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
You may want to use your block heater cord if you have one?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mine does not have push to start but it does have remote start. When using remote start in the morning the grid heater engages and the truck will not start until the warm up cycle is complete. But it does start every time.

I realize that it is way colder up there but I would have expected the push to start to act the same way. How cold was it when you were trying to start your truck?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As said, there are no glow plugs. If you turn the ignition on, there is a little light that lets you know the grid heater is heating. Wait until the light goes out to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
I don't think he should have any issues starting the truck with a grid heater regardless where he lives. My stock grid heater is removed, I know the weather in Tx does not get that cold compared to other states. I have been in some of the coldest places with my truck a snow storm in Bismarck, North Dakota 2 years ago while visiting my wife's family. The next morning you couldn't even see the vehicles totally covered in snow. My truck started right up, dragged for about 3 or 4 seconds, but it started up no grid heater and no block heater cord. From there we went to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada, it was way below O no issues starting, again with no grid heater, and no block heater cord. I was using Power Service Diesel Kleen white bottle to keep fuel from gelling. If your having issues starting, check your batteries. Or maybe your not doing something right?

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes you can cycle the grid heater more than once.

Turn the key to "ON" (don't start) and wait for the grid heater light to go off.
Once it goes off, turn the key to "OFF"

Then turn the key to "ON" (don't start) and wait for the grid heater light to go off.

You can repeat the heater cycle as many times as you want to.

BTW, it does say all this in your owners manual.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
His problem is that he doesn't insert a key anywhere to cycle it
The push button start automatically go through the heater cycle by itself, I believe it'll only do it when it reads a certain temp is to cold (don't know what it would use, I would've assumed IAT temp but my cycle light doesn't come on if my truck was plugged in, coolant temp will be 85-100 degrees but IAT temp is 10-15 degrees)

WhiteRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 CCLB
Engine
6.7 CTD
His problem is that he doesn't insert a key anywhere to cycle it
The push button start automatically go through the heater cycle by itself, I believe it'll only do it when it reads a certain temp is to cold (don't know what it would use, I would've assumed IAT temp but my cycle light doesn't come on if my truck was plugged in, coolant temp will be 85-100 degrees but IAT temp is 10-15 degrees)

If only I had read more thoroughly... :slap:

Yeah, the only thing I'd suggest is using a plug.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything Whiteram said is true. Cycle the ignition. Just don't start the truck. It doesn't sound like it is being given any time at all. One time should do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Can anyone tell me if there's a way for someone with a 2014 RAM 3500 with push button start, to force the glow plugs to cycle on, without cranking the motor? In the old days you used to turn the key to the run position and the glow plugs indicator light would come on, you waited for the light to go out before you turned the key to the start position, if you felt your truck needed it you could cycle this on a couple of times to ensure everything was good and hot before you attempted to start the truck in the extreme cold, The other day My 2014 ram refused to start but if I tried to cycle the glow plugs again the truck went right into start mode as the glow plugs I guess were still relatively warm. I would like to have cycled the glow plugs a couple of times prior to trying to start. Can this be done???

Back to your original question... Next time you want to cycle the grid heater a few times before starting the truck try pushing the start button twice without your foot on the brake pedal. I tried this on the wife's Durango and that is how to cycle through ACC and ON with the push to start.
I am not familiar with the new EVIC so I can't tell you what to look for so you know the grid heater is cycling

ceide4489

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes you just push the button without pushing brake pedal

Once goes to accessory and a second push goes to run without starting and then you will see it says diesel preheat in process and a timer . Then if needed a second time push button again for off and repeat process

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Mine does not have push to start but it does have remote start. When using remote start in the morning the grid heater engages and the truck will not start until the warm up cycle is complete. But it does start every time.

I realize that it is way colder up there but I would have expected the push to start to act the same way. How cold was it when you were trying to start your truck?

It was -30'C or -22'F. not the coldest I've ever been in but cold enough, and this being my first Diesel its a whole new beast for me.

Back to your original question... Next time you want to cycle the grid heater a few times before starting the truck try pushing the start button twice without your foot on the brake pedal. I tried this on the wife's Durango and that is how to cycle through ACC and ON with the push to start.
I am not familiar with the new EVIC so I can't tell you what to look for so you know the grid heater is cycling

Will try this next time I start it without the remote start system. there is a little timer in the bottom left of the console that counts down.

Yes you just push the button without pushing brake pedal

Once goes to accessory and a second push goes to run without starting and then you will see it says diesel preheat in process and a timer . Then if needed a second time push button again for off and repeat process

This is great I will try this the next time I start without the remote. Hopefully I won't have to do this much, but this morning it was cold again but I took my car this morning.

Thank you everyone for the responses it is appreciated.:)

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
You may want to use your block heater cord if you have one?

I do have one but the truck had been left outside for three weeks in the cold and I just tried to start it. In Alberta I made sure every vehicle I owned started at least at -35 without being pluged in, if it didn't start it got fixed or replaced. This is my first diesel and I'm learning but it's alot different from gas engines. I knew they were harder to start I was just surprised that it didn't start, I figure it would but I guess three weeks in those temparature was just to much.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD

This worked exactly as described it will cycle the grid heater this way as many time as you want it too. Thanks

OP
OP
CDN Ram

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
Happened again to me, the truck wouldn't start "no heater grid". It didn't matter how I tried to use it either, with auto or manual method discussed in this thread. No way would the truck run a heater grid cycle or start, just crank and crank. The outside temperature was -27'C, after talking to dodge on the phone the morning it wouldn't start I took a video of the dash showing no count down on the heater grid just the truck going right to start mode. In the video I discovered that the truck was reading an outside air temperature of +2'C. which according the Dodge the truck won't run a heater grid cycle if the temperature is above 0'C. So the truck is going in, looks like a out air temp sensor. once I finally got the truck running the outside air temp reading returned to normal, but at least I have it on video for Dodge. Has anyone had or heard of this problem?