Dang that engine is quiet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
There are a couple things I dont like about the new cummins engines.

1. 6.7, should only be available in the 3500.
2. restrictions, I would never buy a 4G cummins because of how ****** they sound, and like said earlier they dont run like a diesel.

the new trucks are really being made to better suit the old guy pulling a camper.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...

Why? the only difference in a 2500 and a 3500 is an overload spring in the rear. It's not like there is a huge difference between the 2 to cut the diesel from the 3/4 ton trucks completely.

I don't need a 1 ton, but I love the diesels

...you have a 2500 :think:

the new trucks are really being made to better suit the old guy pulling a camper.
Camper pullin huh?
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/show-time/439869-spoiled-nasty-build-thread-w-picts.html

Last edited:

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've seen plenty of 4gen cummins that would spank that ass. They are mean. Delete the egr/dpf crap off and you basically have a 5.9 block (sorta)...then you can do to them exactly what you can do to a 5.9

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I've seen plenty of 4gen cummins that would spank that ass. They are mean. Delete the egr/dpf crap off and you basically have a 5.9 block (sorta)...then you can do to them exactly what you can do to a 5.9

You have a 5.9 block plus 1 whole liter! What could be better than that?!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
There are a couple things I dont like about the new cummins engines.

2. restrictions, I would never buy a 4G cummins because of how ****** they sound, and like said earlier they dont run like a diesel.

Number one makes zero sense to me

Number 2, I would take a 6.7 in a heart beat
It doesn't cost anymore to delete a 6.7 then it does to tune and straight pipe a 5.9
They are wicked deleted and come stock with an exhaust brake
I actually pick our 6.7 over the 5.9 all time, it's pushing close to 500 hp with $2500 in aftermarket parts and is louder then the straight piped 5.9 and the 6.7 still has the stock muffler

Btw all cummins have been built to be quiet not just 6.7
Take a look at the stock intake of a 5.9, silencer baffles in the torque tube and silencer ring on the turbo

It's alot easier to make a quiet truck loud then a loud truck quiet

You cannot sell a straight piped truck off a lot

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
No way in hell is the 6.7 louder than the 5.9 lol. My neighbor has a full deleted 2010 6.7 5" turbo back and my 4" turbo back is a bit louder!

But yesh, the 6.7 has the potential to be a bad *****

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Why? the only difference in a 2500 and a 3500 is an overload spring in the rear. It's not like there is a huge difference between the 2 to cut the diesel from the 3/4 ton trucks completely.

I don't need a 1 ton, but I love the diesels

...you have a 2500 :think:

Should have clarified more, I would have liked if they kept the 5.9 in the 3500 and put the 6.7 in the 2500. I prefer the 5.9 much more and really have zero need for a bigger engine. but there are people who do, so that is where they can get the 3500.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Should have clarified more, I would have liked if they kept the 5.9 in the 3500 and put the 6.7 in the 2500. I prefer the 5.9 much more and really have zero need for a bigger engine. but there are people who do, so that is where they can get the 3500.

They didn't change for the need for a bigger engine
The bigger displacement makes up for the rest of the exhaust restrictions making the motor compareable to a 5.9 (since those lovely exhaust restrictions were forced by government regulations)
The 6.7 had only bumped stock power up 25 hp and 40 ft lb originally in 07, which is a similar gain as the 04.5 model year
Of course the larger displacement does leave you with a more capable motor
The only reason they have 800ft lb now is to stay competitive in the market

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One of the real reasons I want a Cummins is the loud and the rattle.
I miss my '95 like WHOA!

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
They didn't change for the need for a bigger engine
The bigger displacement makes up for the rest of the exhaust restrictions making the motor compareable to a 5.9 (since those lovely exhaust restrictions were forced by government regulations)
The 6.7 had only bumped stock power up 25 hp and 40 ft lb originally in 07, which is a similar gain as the 04.5 model year
Of course the larger displacement does leave you with a more capable motor
The only reason they have 800ft lb now is to stay competitive in the market

Exactly, they couldn't keep the 5.9 at all because once the EPA stepped in in 07, the 5.9 was not capable of becoming competitive in the diesel market (not just against Powerstroke or Duramax) if it was forced to follow the restrictions that had been implemented under the new green diesel laws, so it was time for a new engine, and the 6.7 was born.

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
98 CTD 12 Valve- Half the valves, twice the fun
Man I hate the EPA... Got to love a civilian, non-federal company that makes federal laws... Isnt that illegal somewhere????? Dont get me wrong, Im all for the enviroment, I love animals (They taste damned good in a frying pan) and I love the outdoors, but when a bunch of tree hugging hippies ***** commies make laws that hurt the people overall (IE emissions restrictions, which ruin fuel economy... A free flowing engine is a happy engine) someone needs to draw the line.. RANT=OFF
That being said, Inferno, if you ever blow your engine, sell me your truck for cheap lol

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Not only did the truck just hit 75,000 miles last night, but I treat that truck like if it were my first born child (practicing for that one day in the far future) lol...bath it, feed it, and read bed time stories to it..Jk lol. Sure does keep my pockets empty like a kid does haha.

All in all, I love that truck and hope it lasts another 500,000+ more miles! I take care it like that too. :)

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Ha you guys should see the standards they have been putting on tractors and farm equipment now
I had to put DEF fluid in one of te new hollands at school

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didnt think the restrictions were in place for tractors. Heck we still run agro diesel in our sets (Heck I still run agro in my dodge when Im home, got to love a state that doesnt give a crap lol... 2.99 a gallon last time I was home, almost a dollar cheaper)

Inferno, I just hit 111k on my 98. Slowly but surely Im working the bugs out of her. Just ordered the headliner kit last night to redo the liner, getting the oil pressure sending unit this afternoon, and hopefully getting some new rubber for the front end with an alignment next paycheck. After all that, next thing is a paint job, then its engine modification time woot!

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drive it every day back and forth to work. I got it from my pops earlier this year, he hardly drove it at all. The engine just got broke in right lol.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Man that's just too bad ass.. At the rate you're going with miles/decade you won't have to buy another vehicle lol

OP
OP
V

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats the plan. Heck, the previous truck we had before this was a 89 Ramcharger in MINT condition. Only had 150k on the 360 before he traded it in for the 2500. Up until dad got medically retired, he babied that thing, now hes good if he drives to the garbage dump once a week.