Diesel for a newbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey yall, Ive wanted a diesel forever and think Im finally ready to upgrade from the hemi. Im looking at a 2015 2500 with a manual trans. I am diesel dumb, Ive heard that they take a lot of up keep and thats about the extent of my knowledge. Looking for any info you can share to help me out as far as maintainance and do's and dont's go. Any help is appreciated.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The only extra routine maintenance item is changing the fuel filter(s). Otherwise, the Cummins like to be used. Not necessarily beat on but like long trips, towing,any thing to get the temps up and keep them up will help ensure the emissions system stays cleared.

What's making you decide to get a Cummins?

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm kinda planning on the future, I will have the need for the extra towing capacity both work and pleasure and the fuel economy would be nice as well. In addition I need a crew cab, kids are getting to big for extended rides in the QC.

What's the life expectancy of the fuel filter?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
All good reasons to upgrade :). Crew cab makes traveling with kids so much easier.

Fuel filter is good for about 15k miles unless you get fuel with a bunch of crap in it. The +13 trucks actually have 2 filters to change. I change mine every other oil change.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Pulled the trigger on a new ram 2500 today. I gotta ask are all manuals sluggish through second gear? 1-2 feel like I'm carrying a fully loaded trailer or something3-6 are nice and peppy. Is that just the nature of these trucks or will it improve as the engine breaks in?

Also any dos and donts? As far as break in driving, brands of gas, additives? And what the hell is up with that pos fuel cap?

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most people don't even use first gear on the manual cummins. Way to short of a gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Congrats, where are the pics? I hope you kept the addons and goodies from your trade in.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Seriously..... Pics man!! :).

As far as dos and don'ts.... There was a thread a while back that had a bunch of good stuff in it but here's a few.

Break in - hook up to your trailer as soon a reasonable. The motors are broke in by Cummins at the factory so now you just need to use it.

Fuel - find a station near you that sells a lot of diesel. Avoid bio-diesel if possible (harsh on injectors).

Get an extra set of fuel filters to have on the road for long trips. This way if you get some bad fuel you can get back on the road

Additives - the manual says you dont need them. I use them in the winter to counter act the affects of winter blend fuel. I used to run Stanadyne but switched to Archoil this year. Archoil seems to make the engine a little quieter and MPGs are up some as well.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Love the red. The bumpers would look better if the rims were black too. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ive been reading up on how to properly break in the truck. Is 500 miles a good time to change the first oil? and should I wait till after the first oil change to start towing?