Diesel noob has a question about fuel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CabinDweller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I just bought my first diesel truck a week ago. I went to my local Marathon station tonight to refuel and was confused on whether to use "diesel" or "premium diesel". I ended up going with the premium ($.06 more per gallon) but would like to know exactly what the difference is and which I should use moving forward. I've tried searching the internet without solid success. I see a lot of talk about #1 and #2 diesel. Can someone put "premium diesel" in noob terms for me? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
From: Why you should avoid using "Premium" Diesel | Team-BHP

Do these fuels deliver on their promise? In one word, NO. Premium diesel is basically regular diesel with some cleaning additives thrown in. They do nothing to enhance the power or fuel economy of your car. Fact is, when the oil companies were pulled up by the MRTPC (Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Commission), they were unable to prove that premium fuels make good on any of their claims. Oil companies don’t even share the exact chemicals that are used to formulate premium diesel. It is noteworthy to mention that all of them source detergent-based additives manufactured by Afton Chemical (part of the NewMarket Corp).