Dirt in Turbo...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
My fiance and me are going over to Illinois this weekend. One of the guys I served with is getting married.
So I figured it would be a good idea to check all the fluids since it has been a while since the truck has been on a roadtrip. I pop the hood and find this...

So I tore the intake out and checked the turbo for dirt. It doesn't look bad, but I want a couple other opinions...

I scrubbed the compressor wheel and the inside as best I could and all I got was this... I think I am ok... any other thoughts?

Just as a precaution, I am cleaning out the intake and making sure everything is all tight before we leave.

Ram725

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
You should be fine. These motors eat almost anything. On my 06 a mechanic left a RAG INSIDE the intake tube... Needless to say the turbo sucked it up. I took it apart took the rag (what was left of it) out and the motor ran perfectly fine for 20k + miles afterwards till I sold it.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There isn't anything you can do now about the dirt n such that might have been sucked in.
Just check that connection with your oil everytime you get petrol.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it to much. Looks pretty good considering. A good idea would be to turn on your exhaust brake and drive around with that on as I've heard and read from tons of diesel guys it's a good way to keep your turbo clean. They say it's actually a good idea to always drive with it on, although it might diminish your cruising speed/mpg's while cruising at no throttle above 1500 RPM's. I drive with mine on ever since I bought it. Keeps the slider clean and free as well.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
That looks like the same as mine when I pulled my old K&N filter off the turbo on my '06. If its K&N I'd be in contact with them to see about getting the filter replaced under warranty. There shouldn't be anything in there, and there wasn't last time I checked my turbo with the new filter. That being said, theoretically that dust shouldn't hurt anything, but why ingest more than you need to?

Ram725

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I just wouldnt run K&N on the Cummins... will never trust them again with a diesel.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I assume you had a dusted truck they blamed on the K&N filter. Did you contact K&N? What was their response/assistance to get it resolved?

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Nope, it's an AFE, and has worked fantastically! The boot probably just came off because I didn't have it on tight enough or something.

That is what I though guys, thanks a lot for the extra opinions.

And, Trup, I do not have an exhaust brake on my truck. The didn't add them to our trucks until the second half of 07 with the change over to 6.7s from the 5.9s.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Didn't note that image with the tube disconnected. My bad.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Ram725

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I assume you had a dusted truck they blamed on the K&N filter. Did you contact K&N? What was their response/assistance to get it resolved?

Had an 03 with K&N. Nothing but easy highway miles. No dirt or dust. Motor was acting up and just not sounding right, popped the hood off and the K&N had "holes" in it. Removed the intake and I had straight dirt in my turbo. Then when I bought the 06 Cummins it had K&N on it, removed it and yup... dirt all up inside the cummins. Just go look at Cummins forum or any other cummins site and 90% of guys recommend against K&N. I have worked for diesel performance shops for 3 years and worked for Dodge/Ram for another 4 years and none of the techs or guys I work with recommend a K&N on the Cummins.

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Ooh, sorry man I didn't know that. Thanks for educating me.

No worries man, anytime! That's what we are all here for! :happy160:

Didn't note that image with the tube disconnected. My bad.

That's cool

Had an 03 with K&N. Nothing but easy highway miles. No dirt or dust. Motor was acting up and just not sounding right, popped the hood off and the K&N had "holes" in it. Removed the intake and I had straight dirt in my turbo. Then when I bought the 06 Cummins it had K&N on it, removed it and yup... dirt all up inside the cummins. Just go look at Cummins forum or any other cummins site and 90% of guys recommend against K&N. I have worked for diesel performance shops for 3 years and worked for Dodge/Ram for another 4 years and none of the techs or guys I work with recommend a K&N on the Cummins.

I've heard the same thing... they just don't do their job
Soooo... been a long day, but she is finally back together! Thanks for the help guys!
IMG_20130509_214532_zps50ebbf85.jpg

OP
OP
USMC1188

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Reminds me, I need to wash my prefilter

Yea, I need to get one... the only problem, AFE doesn't make a red one for that filter anymore. Every other color of the rainbow, just not red

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Judging from the pics, you must have caught it shortly after the tube became disconnected. Sounds like you got lucky.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm hearing a lot of hate on k&n... I have the CAI.... What other brand of filter would fit without ne buying a new air box?