Fuelling update - sump + better return location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CovenStine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hello,
I've got a '99 24v that's running fairly well- one thing I'm noticing is that the fuel lift pump is struggling to get primed on occasion.
I think I know what the issue is there, but while I'm working on it, I'm going to put in a no-drop tank sump (I think I'm sold on BD's low profile version).
I have a work body on my truck, and I'm wondering about better return locations than the filler neck, because adding the short, stiff, piece to the filler neck hose has made it quite difficult to get the fuel to flow correctly.

Once the sump's in place, can I run the fuel return back into the existing draw straw, or would that cause problems?

Other than the XDP sump-with-return (which looks to have its own issues) any better suggestions as to how/where to route the return?
I have a FASS system, but don't ask me which- the garage held onto all the paperwork when they put it in.

I'm considering dropping the tank ANYWAY just to get it sorted and RIGHT, but I'm undecided at this point.

Thanks for your advise!
~C

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Not sure what you mean by BD low profile sump but if you want a sump I would go with either beans diesel or G&R diesel.

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Also where is your return running right now?

OP
OP
C

CovenStine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
They installed the return to the filler neck, and the FASS way below the frame rails. (When the FASS pump was installed, my truck was a daily driver, so I had a garage diagnose the issue and install the pump, much to my regret)

this is the option that has its own return point, but I feel like the fuel will just fall back into the sump and aerate the fuel there: http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...uel-tank-sump-kit-with-integrated-return.aspx
this option is what I'd prefer, it seems like this would be much less likely to get caught on things passing underneath the truck than the various 2-3" deep multi-hole sumps: https://www.dieselperformance.com/shop/product/1050330-flow-max-tank-sump-kit-826

OP
OP
C

CovenStine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Any reason not to just use the current supply line as a return (the draw straw) when setting up a sump?