To go diesel or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoneStar210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure this has been asked numerous times but I enjoy opinions. I've a got 2012 ram that does everything I need but I keep looking at diesels. Something about them keeps attracting me. I know I'd lose my butt on trading but I'm pretty sure one day I'll have me a cummins. Thinking I should stop the mods and just hold off until I get that great cummins motor. Opinions ?

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
question is how bad do YOU want it?? im in the same boat as you but i know when the time comes ill have mine so ima just keep modding

OP
OP
LoneStar210

LoneStar210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I understand. I bought my truck a few months ago and while I have no complaints about it, I know my next one will be a diesel. Currently have a bighorn 4x4 crewcab.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do you need a diesel or is it just a want?

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yeah i was getting one and then this one was gave to me at a monthly payment lol but i aint complaing... my next one will be a diesel cause i will need one and my want has been there:D

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I really don't like this "do you need or want a diesel?", because 75% of the diesel owners out there truly don't need one, like myself.

I'm sorry if this might seem biased, but (cummins) diesel engines are as good as it gets! You have an engine that is no doubt going to last 200,000+ miles with proper maintenance, get you 500+HP and 1000+ ft/lbs of torque with exhaust, tuner, and intake, tow anything you put behind it, beat sports cars, and while doing all that get you 18-24 MPGs...C'mon it's a no brainer! I say if you want one you go for it, don't let this "do you need one" change your mind... And honestly, if you really want one this bad, you're not gonna be genuinely happy until you get it.

I say go for it :waytogo:

I'll still never forget the feeling I had driving mine out of the lot...

OP
OP
LoneStar210

LoneStar210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Diesel is great conversation huh? Might stop my dealership again tomorrow to just "look around "

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i honestly would try to get and early 3rd gen if posssible... my dream but would kill for a 2nd gen also

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Here is the only thing to consider though...do you want a new or used truck? The new 6.7 diesel can make power after you delete the DPF/EGR, but once you add a tuner, you are at its limits without spending $7k on a built transmission. If you just want a diesel to have one and dont plan to go crazy with mods, then the 6.7 is great for that. If you are looking to build a high HP Beast that is reliable and wont break the bank too bad, then look for a used 5.9.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I say 04.5-07, more specifically 06-07 5.9 Cummins... Not sure what your over all goal is, but the power is endless with the 06-07 with EFI Live.

Just to let you know, when I got mine all I wanted to do was intake, tune, and exhaust... Now I've found myself with a built trans/supporting mods and saving up for twins and larger injectors. Just a little heads up...

Last edited:

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yeah I would never buy a new cummins, to much ********* on them. 04.5-07 5.9 is the best IMO. although I am a bit biased.

I couldnt agree more with infernoredram, I have 0 need for a diesel. but I have a love for cummins engines, so if the opportunity presents itself why not take it? If you want something bad enough you will find a way to get it.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yea those are some sick beast for sure... for got about the whole efi live tuning ablility

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really don't like this "do you need or want a diesel?", because 75% of the diesel owners out there truly don't need one, like myself.

I'm sorry if this might seem biased, but (cummins) diesel engines are as good as it gets! You have an engine that is no doubt going to last 200,000+ miles with proper maintenance, get you 500+HP and 1000+ ft/lbs of torque with exhaust, tuner, and intake, tow anything you put behind it, beat sports cars, and while doing all that get you 18-24 MPGs...C'mon it's a no brainer! I say if you want one you go for it, don't let this "do you need one" change your mind... And honestly, if you really want one this bad, you're not gonna be genuinely happy until you get it.

I say go for it :waytogo:

I'll still never forget the feeling I had driving mine out of the lot...

Amen! I love this

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have always "Wanted" one but before I bought this 2012 I had two truck that were my final picks.. My current truck and a 2012 Cummins... in the end I could not justify paying another 10+ grand for a truck that I was not going to "Use" did I have the money to get one? Yes I did but it was a personal choice... The Cummins motor is amazing! no doubt and since I put a lot of miles on my trucks I figured why not because they run forever... But my brother has a 2003 Chevy Tahoe that has 291,000 miles on it and that truck still runs like it's new with basic maintenance gas motors are pretty damn good themselves..

It all comes down to personal preference bud.. if you have the cash flow go with a Cummins more bang for your buck. In the end it's getting something that you "Want" and will enjoy having.

Every once in awhile I wish I would have went with the 2012 Cummins over the Hemi but "Want" and "Need" played a big part in my choice and when your talking about 50 grand.... That's a lot compaired to getting a gas motor.. But I wanted brand new, not used. I might try and pick up a 08' Mega Cummins if I can find one at a good price just to have as my "Power House" truck.

Get something you're going to be happy with.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Here is the only thing to consider though...do you want a new or used truck? The new 6.7 diesel can make power after you delete the DPF/EGR, but once you add a tuner, you are at its limits without spending $7k on a built transmission. If you just want a diesel to have one and dont plan to go crazy with mods, then the 6.7 is great for that. If you are looking to build a high HP Beast that is reliable and wont break the bank too bad, then look for a used 5.9.

Why not go with a manual trans?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
For driving around the street, a manual would be fine, but the difference in track times from an auto to even a skilled manual driver are night and day. Auto wins every time in these trucks.