To go diesel or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 3500 CCLB 4X4 Big Horn
Engine
you don't like my 6.7?

I got this to fit in!

Oh man...

:)

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Nothing wrong with the 6.7 unless you care about 1/4 mile performance. For the dragstrip, I prefer the 5.9. On the street, the 6.7 is more than enough truck.

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I could contribute to this thread more but I've only put 45miles on mine. I'm still on my trip... Damn it

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

Davy120

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yep just told my wife soon as my truck is paid off gona trade it in for a 3rd gen cummins lol 3rd gen only so i can keep all my crap off my truck now and just do a part for part swap.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Nothing wrong with the 6.7 unless you care about 1/4 mile performance. For the dragstrip, I prefer the 5.9. On the street, the 6.7 is more than enough truck.

100% correct... A deleted 6.7 is nothing but a big 5.9, it's just the transmission that holds it back. However, that transmission is a tow machine lol. If I bought my truck because I tow a lot, I would've without a doubt gone for a 6.7.

Plus, I don't think black diesel plans on building a drag truck.. It is a CCLB SRW 3500 :roflsquared: .... Not saying it can't be fast because it'll still haul ass with the deletes, but it's not really light like a RC 2500 lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
For driving around the street, a manual would be fine, but the difference in track times from an auto to even a skilled manual driver are night and day. Auto wins every time in these trucks.

no doubt but you still see tons of manuals at the track
it makes racing more fun:naughty:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I like having a truck that isnt hunting for gears when I tow 12k lbs of skid steer and trailer
Having one thats pretty quick at the track on top of that is fun too...

BlackDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I'm not dragging whatsoever. Of course I will do a 1/4 mile time here and there just to see how the progress is going, and to race my friends 2010 GMC 3500 CCLB SRW hahah.

OP
OP
LoneStar210

LoneStar210

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drove a new one briefly today. Gotta say, they are nice. Will probably have to keep my current ram for awhile but looks like cummins will be the next truck for sure

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I traded a 2010 1500 Ram Big Horn QC for my 2500. Nothing against the 1500 - the Hemi had power to spare, but after 2,000 miles, all I have to say is GET THE DIESEL GET THE DIESEL GET THE DIESEL GET THE DIESEL!!!!

No regrets at all here. I just about $1500 right-side up on my truck. I'm loving not breaking loads into two.

My 2 cents - from a guy who made the same change you're considering.

I will admit, the move from life-long gasser to all the mysteries of the diesel were a little intimidating but I'm having fun learning. This forum has a lot of diesel-knowledgeable guys willing to share what they know.

Definitely keep us posted.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
I made the switch from a 2002 5.9 gasser to a 2004 duramax (2000 cummins work truck) i tow a lot, more than 50% of my miles are towing and most of my miles are highway, my gasser could tow the loads but being a 5.9 i would get like 4.5-8 mpg depending on what i was hauling, my diesels get 16-21 mpg depending on the load, the savings in fuel alone 20k+ miles/year make up for diesel being more expensive, the payment being more and the increased maintenance for the diesel. and last month i pocketed 50 bucks on fuel savings, straight to the mod fund.

The jist, if you tow a lot and want the maximum truck life and mpgs and power and can deal with added maintenance responsibilities and costs get a diesel

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
What added maintenance are you talking about?

10 quarts for an oil change, if it's brand new all of that dpf crud, having to warm it up, it you live in the northland having to plug it in.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The only downside in maintenance is the oil, which really isn't all that bad when considering how often you have to get it changed. With a diesel the only common maintenance is oil, fuel filter, and air filter.

With a new truck there is no DPF maintenance, it's just getting it to go into regen mode to clean out the DPF...which is simply just driving. Until they add the urea (DEF) at least...

The cold weather stuff is an issue though. However, our buddy lonestar's from TX, like myself... and We really dont have to worry about that stuff lol.. But you are right as in certain areas you do pay a premium, like oil changes and diesel fuel. Although I do put diesel a lot less than I used to put gas because of how much longer it lasts

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
The only downside in maintenance is the oil, which really isn't all that bad when considering how often you have to get it changed. With a diesel the only common maintenance is oil, fuel filter, and air filter.

With a new truck there is no DPF maintenance, it's just getting it to go into regen mode to clean out the DPF...which is simply just driving. Until they add the urea (DEF) at least...

The cold weather stuff is an issue though. However, our buddy lonestar's from TX, like myself... and We really dont have to worry about that stuff lol.. But you are right as in certain areas you do pay a premium, like oil changes and diesel fuel. Although I do put diesel a lot less than I used to put gas because of how much longer it lasts

In my line of work the factors i mentioned are enough for people to not buy diesels, when it is -20 outside and you have to haul a 32 foot gooseneck full of cows 400 miles.. you know the story. I have been up working the minnesota canada boarder in the middle of winter with the 2000 cummins, nowhere near electricity and other such amenities, it's always started but i have gotten lucky more than once.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Lol yeah you're in a whole different world there buddy! When it comes to actual commercial use, you've definitely gotta take everything into perspective... I'll stick to hauling pipes and tools on a gooseneck in 100* weather haha

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Lol yeah you're in a whole different world there buddy! When it comes to actual commercial use, you've definitely gotta take everything into perspective... I'll stick to hauling pipes and tools on a gooseneck in 100* weather haha

i so wish i could do that.... i would be such a boss at it lol

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
WHAT?!?!?!? thats awesome!!! how old do you have to be?? and roughly how much do you make??? guess you need a commercail lisence??