Good Deal? Or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys I've been looking at a cummins for a while now and I stumbled on this one. I know it's got a lot of miles on it, but I don't think it's too much for a cummins.
The only real thing I know to look for in a diesel is not one that's advertised as "built". Let me know what you think, and some pointers on buying a diesel.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4131562437.html

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Me personally would stay away. I don't like high mileage trucks. For a Cummins that's not a lot of miles. The other item that would make me walk away is the 5th wheel hitch. You don't know how hard it has been worked. Right there you have 2 out of 3 red flags that I look for. The other is performance mods. You don't know how they treated the truck. I have a buddy who takes his 09 ford deleted dually to the track and beats the **** out of it. Wins a lot too. That's just my opinion on this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I agree with 1500...

It could be a great truck or a money pit. I think that is why you don't see too many for sale.

Do you have some specific plans or goals? It looks like a decent price as long as the body & interior is in good shape. Buying this truck you know that you will be spending some money on it. With 165xxx miles and a gooseneck, you can expect to be doing some tranny work in the near future if it has not already had some done. Plus anything else that a 8 year old truck needs maintained.

Personally, I hate buying used vehicles. I just can't stand the thought of inheriting someone else's bad habits or problems. And since I do not have the tools/desire to constantly wrench on a truck I always take into account what it will cost to have someone else work on the truck when needed.

Best of luck!! Post more pics if you decide to pull the trigger.

OP
OP
PCA4208

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The thing is is that this is about the best truck for the money right now. Of course I'd love to buy a newer 2500, but I just don't have the money. I'd just be using this for a daily driver, and to haul around atv's from time to time.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the miles arent bad at all. where I get turned off is the lift, gooseneck and wheels. goosenecks are usually, not always, a sign theyve seen a lot of work. and when I see a lift and wheels on a diesel, most of the times its also had performance mods done. its not necessarily bad, but can be a good risk

OP
OP
PCA4208

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I feel you. This is bout the only cummins in my price range that isn't advertised as being "built" or has a tuner. I did see a clean 2003 but it has 170,000 miles, and tuner and deletes and stuff. So I guess that ones out. If I did have the money though, this one is what I'd look at.
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4109104243.html

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Why are you guys ******** about the gooseneck? My Ram has a gooseneck and it was in fairly good shape when I bought it. Minus leaking t-case and blown plenum o'course.

Don't be bothered by a gooseneck. You wanna know how stupid people are? Some people will buy and pay to have a gooseneck installed to only use it once or twice to tow a travel trailer that they sell because they can't afford the payments.

I'd personally be looking for excessive brake wear, steering wear, clutch, other performance oddities. Not to mention mud caked in strange places.

OP
OP
PCA4208

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I talked to the guy. He said that he bought it from an old man who used it as a DD. He now uses it to tow his horse trailer and make dump runs about once a month each.
It's all stock, never had any tuners or anything. And never towed heavy.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why are you guys ******** about the gooseneck? My Ram has a gooseneck and it was in fairly good shape when I bought it. Minus leaking t-case and blown plenum o'course.

Don't be bothered by a gooseneck. You wanna know how stupid people are? Some people will buy and pay to have a gooseneck installed to only use it once or twice to tow a travel trailer that they sell because they can't afford the payments.

I'd personally be looking for excessive brake wear, steering wear, clutch, other performance oddities. Not to mention mud caked in strange places.

Not ********, just pointing it out. If you see similar trucks, one with a gooseneck hitch and one without, which one would you choose? It just means the truck couldve been used to haul heavy loads, reducing the life of the tranny and motor as opposed to one without. Not saying I wouldnt buy it just because of that

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Not ********, just pointing it out. If you see similar trucks, one with a gooseneck hitch and one without, which one would you choose? It just means the truck couldve been used to haul heavy loads, reducing the life of the tranny and motor as opposed to one without. Not saying I wouldnt buy it just because of that

It would only reduce the life of the transmission or engine if the owner abused it. And if that were the case, you would see signs of abuse elsewhere on the truck. That's my point.

OP
OP
PCA4208

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright guys. So any thoughts on what I said above?^^

All stock, tows with it once of twice a month for dump runs. Was a DD for an elderly man originally. No tuners.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright guys. So any thoughts on what I said above?^^

All stock, tows with it once of twice a month for dump runs. Was a DD for an elderly man originally. No tuners.

Light use.

I wouldn't worry about it. If the truck checks out fine for other abuse, I see no problem in buying it.

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
Ok so I talked to the guy. He said that he bought it from an old man who used it as a DD. He now uses it to tow his horse trailer and make dump runs about once a month each.

As much as I like that truck and would probably buy it in a heartbeat because you will never see a truck that nice for that low of a price in my area I take every vehicle I buy to a mechanic first just to look for signs of abuse. Someone mentioned mud in strange places.

When you say horse trailer... How many horses and how big? Horse trailers can be very @#$#!@% heavy. Also, he isn't a farmer by chance is he? I'm sorry to any farmers on the forums, I'd never buy anything used from a farmer. Everything is worked so damn hard.

Cheers!

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Like you said, the price is right... so it sounds like a test drive is in order. It is possible that it is the deal you have been looking for. Do you have a diesel mechanic you trust? See if you can make an appointment and stop by with the truck. And let the seller know you are doing this. if he knows of a problem he will be more likely tell you if he thinks you will find out anyway.

And whatever deal you make, make sure you have some cash left over. There will be things that need to be fixed or replaced at some point. You won't want your daily driver leaving you stranded all the time.

Oh, and you will mod it :****: why buy a classic 5.9 and not mod it... its begging for it!!

Best of luck!

OP
OP
PCA4208

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright well thanks all for the advise and comments. I think I'm going to hold off on the truck for now. I'd have to sell my truck then save up enough to pay for it, and with football, getting a job is extremely tough. When the season is over, I'll get a job, save up, and begin the search again. Sorry if I wasted any of your time with this, but I thought for sure that this was the one

I do know a good diesel mechanic, I'm friends with his son, and even he is training to be a diesel mechanic. If I plan to get a diesel in the future, I'll definitely take it to them.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Alright well thanks all for the advise and comments. I think I'm going to hold off on the truck for now. I'd have to sell my truck then save up enough to pay for it, and with football, getting a job is extremely tough. When the season is over, I'll get a job, save up, and begin the search again. Sorry if I wasted any of your time with this, but I thought for sure that this was the one

I do know a good diesel mechanic, I'm friends with his son, and even he is training to be a diesel mechanic. If I plan to get a diesel in the future, I'll definitely take it to them.

Sounds like you are making the right call. The problem with asking for opinions on a forum page is that you actually get them :)

You already have a good looking truck... enjoy it! Believe me, there will be plenty of time for jobs and debt.

OP
OP
PCA4208

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. And yeah I also decided to put what little mod money I have into my project 1979 w200.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would consider it.
I would run as quick as could from a 1500 with a gooseneck on it....
Although typically I wouldn't judge a truck just cause it had a gooseneck, none of our trucks have them but still pull 12k trailers pretty regularly.
Our trucks are farm trucks, they get worked but they don't get abused