Help a humble chevy guy switch to Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrazyViking17

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
Hey all. My apologies in advance, I know these posts are probably played out and many will say "use the search function" but I could really use a few pointers to start my research.

I've been a life long chevy guy, which expanded to VW (love my TDI), and became a diesel convert with my M1009 Blazer.

However, as I worked out all the things I wanted to do to my Blazer, i came to the realization that what I seemed to be trying to make... was a Diesel Ram.

So, what I'm asking for, is some suggestions on what years, and models of Ram's I should be in the market for based on my needs.

- mechanically injected Diesel (hate OBD controls, I trust mechanical more)
- 4x4 (I'm a firefighter/emt so getting to the station in bad weather is a must)
- manual transmission (4,5 or 6 speed really, overdrive is preferred but I've got my jetta for fuel economy so a 4 speed is workable).
- solid axle
- 4 door short bed
- fuel economy and reliability is more important than earth rotating power levels. I dont tow regularly, but it would be nice to have the option.
- I may do some mild wheeling in GWNF, off road camping, hunting, fishing, etc, but no serious Rubicon style rock crawling.

That's probably the general overview.

Just looking for year ranges, engine options, what transmissions may be problematic and should be avoided (im familiar with the NV4500 but know nothing else about Ram transmission options beyond that). etc. etc.

Thank you in advance for any and all help. And apologies for such a noob post. I'm in the hiring process for a career firefighter position, and if hired a truck will be part of what I purchase in the following few months. So I'm just starting my research early, figured I'd ask people in the know.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
You find it you'll have a sweet truck.
It can be built for you.
Exactly that truck if it's not factory.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
well you could get a 89-91 12v 4x4 then go to bayer auto and get them to build a 4 door cab. you're probably looking at a 50 grand truck. Bayer Truck & Equipment - Elrosa MN | Custom Built Heavy-Duty Truck Bodies, Truck Beds, Boxes & Trailers | Truck Customization & Sales | Auto & Collision Repair
or you can compromise a bit and get a 2500 89-93 95-97 club cab it's not a 4 door and the 95-97 is not a solid axle. the choice is yours, of course i could be wrong don't know 1st gens that well . i just know that 2nd gen 4x4's came with a CAD system that's vacuum powered. much like the late 90's 4x4 blazers.

OP
OP
C

CrazyViking17

Reaction score
Ram Year
?
Engine
?
this is why I ask questions ;)

yeah, i can compromise a bit. club cab is totally acceptable as a stand in for four door. I just think I'd be really claustrophobic in a standard cab.

looks like 1st gen Ram's are right up my alley, time to start doing some more in depth learnin.

thank you for a reality check and nudge in the right direction guys.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
i just know that 2nd gen 4x4's came with a CAD system that's vacuum powered. much like the late 90's 4x4 blazers.
Unless it's an 02. Still 2nd gen but no CAD.
I'd go with a 2002 2nd Gen, 2500/3500 srw, 5.9L Cummins, ext cab.
Well, I'd go V8 gas. But that,s just me.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
Unless it's an 02. Still 2nd gen but no CAD.

I'd go with a 2002 2nd Gen, 2500/3500 srw, 5.9L Cummins, ext cab.

Well, I'd go V8 gas. But that,s just me.

thanks for the info then he could swap a 12v cummins

sent from my brick using clay

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
89-95 good luck finding anything but a regular cab.

96-97 you could get club cab (2 doors with back seat, no rear doors though) and still get the 12v motor with OBD1 but nearly fully mechanical, 5spd manual, very reliable aside from the killer dowel pin.

Early 98 could get the quad cab (i might be wrong about that) with 4 doors. Early still got the 12v but good luck finding the quad cab 5spd 12v. Next to impossible.

98.5-2001 quad cabs are easy to find but motor was changed to 24v and more computer control, still very reliable though. 5spd still an option also a 6spd H.O. was added. All 5spds have a known 5th gear problem where a nut backs off. Fairly easy fix. 6spds were pretty much the same up til 5th gear where it's a little lower than the 5spd and 6th is a little higher. Better city driving characteristics but parts are more expensive and won't take to high power adders like the 5spd.

Biggest problems with the motors:
12v- killer dowel pin: Pin in the timing cover comes loose over time and falls out. If you're lucky it falls straight into the oil pan causing no issue. If you're unlucky, it hits the chain and bounces around a little, often shooting through the timing cover. If life really hates you for some reason, it gets stuck in the chain and blows the whole motor. Plenty of kits out there and most any diesel shop will know what you're talking about.
24v- 53 block: Many 24v blocks were made in Brazil where others were made in Mexico. You want a Mexican block. The Brazil blocks have the number "53" stamped on the side by the injection pump. The problem with 53 blocks is they have thinner cast walls and have been known to crack. Nothing other than temporary fixes for these other than buying a non-53 block. Many people have no problem with them and push em to 500rwhp and 500k miles but others see em blow on a stock truck with less than 100k. Luck of the draw.

All 94-01 4x4 trucks have the CAD system like mentioned above. Most people hate it but I've never had a problem with it. Only problem with my 4wd was one vacuum line got pushed against the exhaust after I bottomed out in the sand and burned/rubbed a large hole. Other than that, no problems yet (knock on wood) and I have 150k on my 360 gasser.