How many miles is too many miles for mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hey everyone. Not new to RF but somewhat new to the cummins forum.

Im considering selling my dear ol gasser in spring and picking up a cummins. Id like to mod it and maybe do a tuner, intake, exhaust, etc. Obviously I know how little abuse these trannys can stand up to, but how about the engine? How many miles is too many for mods? For example, I found a 2001 24V with 233K miles on it. High milage, but how would the engine stand up to mods? Hell, at 233K is the break in period even owner yet? [emoji38]

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hey everyone. Not new to RF but somewhat new to the cummins forum.

Im considering selling my dear ol gasser in spring and picking up a cummins. Id like to mod it and maybe do a tuner, intake, exhaust, etc. Obviously I know how little abuse these trannys can stand up to, but how about the engine? How many miles is too many for mods? For example, I found a 2001 24V with 233K miles on it. High milage, but how would the engine stand up to mods? Hell, at 233K is the break in period even owner yet? [emoji38]

Thanks all.

Anybody?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
233k is not a lot of miles on Cummins if it was maintained and not beat to hell during that time.

Tuning for hp will definitely find any weak spots but you are going to find them one way or another. You need to do your research to see what, if any, replacements have already occurred on the truck. Really this is no different than modding any older vehicle. You will never really know what you have until something breaks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk