Injectors -V- Nozzles? Plus- Rocker install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yea if you go with brand new injecotrs its pretty simple...take the fuel line off, take the feed tube out, remove the exhaust rocker, take the injector out....then reverse lol

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Man ive been watching some install vids today and ive gotten myself all excited to try my hand at stud, rocker, spring, and injector installs all at once.

There is no extra trick or special attention needed when adjusting rocker lash on our engines is there? Spring and rockers are the only thing I have not found a great install vid of yet.

I got to look for all the tq levels for all the bolts.

Anybody got a suggestion on a good torque wrench for these type of installs.?

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Also any input or knowledge on single -v- dual springs?

Rockers-How do I know what fulcrum I need? I assume stock since im not a pure race truck....???

holy hell are rocks expensive. geesh I choose the best hobbies.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've got all the torque numbers wrote down...but I'm gonne guess right now (they are in the garage)

Once the new injector is in...you tighten down the injector to 44 in/lbs...the you tighten the feed tube retaining nut to 11 ft/lbs...then you go back and tighten the injector to 89 in/lbs...then you go back and tighten the feed tube retaining nut to 37ft/lbs (yea, its a pain in the ass)

The little nuts on top of the injector that hold the wires, those are 11 in/lbs. The rockers (I believe) are 27 ft/lbs (I will verify tomorrow once I get my sheet)

As far as your question on if there is anything special you need to do with the rockers...yes, there is. Look up "adjusting your valve lash". On the side of your valve cover there should be some specs that say "valve lash"... int (intake) .010 and exh (axhaust) .020 What this is is the distance between your rocker and the valve spring bridge. Once they are in spec, this will quit down your engine A LOT. It is a recomended maintanace item at 100,000 miles. And if this scares you...don't let it...honestly it took me 10 minutes to do this...was the easiest thing all day. I will find you the write up I used to do this...it made life simple.

Hope this helps man...PM me if your interested and I'll give you my cell and I can answer any questions you have when you go to do the install. I'll get the torque specs and write up for you when I get up...I just got home from work.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks Braydon ill pm you. Not sure how long it will be till I do this, since some of these are costly! Just want to get my ducks in a row for when I can.

Have a torque wrench you like? in/lb and ft/lb?

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I personally like the torque wreches that makes the "click" sound...with some of the postions you have to torque these mofos down...you don't have room to look at a digital torque wrench to make sure its good. Thats just me.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
yeah ive read some of the digital tq wrenches have issues with lower tq numbers. Just not sure what one do get since I dont want to mess these installs up.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Any in/lb or ft/lb torque wrench with work...just don't confuse the two. That's when you'll mess something up lol

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Any in/lb or ft/lb torque wrench with work...just don't confuse the two. That's when you'll mess something up lol

lol yeah that would be very interesting install..... I was reading a little on CF and some had spoken well of snap-on but damn they are not at all cheap....

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No need for snap on man...a good Craftsman thats been calibrated correctly and you'll be good

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
craftsman I dont think is certified. Thats what im worried about is it being properly calibrated. I have a tq wrench already but when doing my suspension I got the feeling it was off(I got it second hand years ago). Since the engine tq is pretty important I figure it time for a new quality certified wrench.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
And injector torque specs.

Tighten injector hold downs to 44 IN/LBs...then tighten feed tube retaining nut to 11 FT/LBs..then go back and tighten the injectors hold downs to 89 IN/LBS...then go back and tighten the feed tube retaining but to 37 FT/LBS.

The injector wire nuts then will be tighten to 11 IN/LBS.

The fuel lines going from the rail to the feed tubes are torqued to 22 FT/LBS.

The exhaust rocker that you took off to get to the injector...that will be torque down to 27 FT/LBS.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
holy crap Braydon! thanks man! Got the link saved so I will be ready to rock. Get paid on tue so ill be a little closer to the goal.

Thinking about tossing in a few extra payments on the truck to get it mine sooner. That will set me back some.

Also saw the wiggle check to make sure the tubes are installed right. Im going to order one of those special nuts for uninstall and install of the tubes.

Side note:really could go for tacos right about now.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yes...do the wiggle test! Thats a sure fire way to make sure they are in..

And DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT buy the special tool to screw onto the feed tube so you can pry it out...its the biggest waste of money. I used a nut I had laying around that has the same threads. I'll get the size of it for you if you'd like. Or hell I'll send you the nut I used lol

I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow...I will get the size of the nut for ya and save ya some $$. Trust me, it works just as good as the special tool

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
wow thanks Braydon. Above and beyond my friend! you could just come on over and show me how its done. :D

but yeah if you could let me know the size and thread type that would be much help.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Not a prob man! I'll get that size on the nut soon man, I forgot it today lol

Hope I've been of some help!

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
after this yall should be pros and can come and install my harland sharp rockers for me :D when I get them...lol

looking forward to seeing this go down

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hell if anyone pays for my plane ticket I'll be more than happy to help! lol