Isv5.0 cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trophywa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500 NV4500 gasser 4x4
Engine
360cid 5.9 liter
Anybody here looked into these new offerings? I've been considering doing a rebuild for awhile on the (tired) gasser, and driving home from work today saw a semi truck on the hi way with cummins diesel motor pictures on it and though they came out with new marine motors, so I googled and Bam light duty V-8 diesel motors! Says on the web site they work for motor compartments where a gas V-8 or 10 would be, sweet. Now the fun part what needs to be done to get one in the old truck? Any advice or resource on such a project?

jaywa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It would be fairly straight forward really. I'm not sure what conversions are like in America but in Australia there's engine conversions much much harder then that being done regularly. I've got a firewall and transmission tunnel from a different car welded into one of mine just so I could put a bigger gearbox and motor in it. Most of the money on this would be just in parts

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You can just buy a Nissan Titan with one already in it in a few years

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Go with a 6BT conversion.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Year of vehicle makes a difference, you'll need motor mounts, matching bell housing & transmission, You can get all that fabricated into place with minimal skills. Then you gotta have your driveshaft shortened and balanced.

Another concern is rear end. Make sure your rear end can handle the torque.

The major part of work involved is cutting/welding the firewall and/or floorboard and then wiring all the motor stuffs.

Edit: it would be much easier to find a totaled vehicle and steal the engine, transmission, drive shaft, and rear end. Then you have all the heavy duty parts, at a much lower cost.

Last edited: