Mag-Hytec trans/diff on 2014 2500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I've been doing a lot of searching and I can't quite locate the answer I'm looking for.

I'm thinking about replacing the transmission and both differential covers on my RAM. I can't find anything that states compatibility with my model year. It seems to be only up to 2013.

Anyway have you, or have you seen anything on the net in reference to a 2014+ install?

Also cannot locate an answer for the following;

- Will a front diff cover work? Apparently there is mention of clearance issues with steering/dampening components.

- Trans pan: what do I need to know about the internal filter and this trans pan? I found some old threads that talk about replacing the stock filter with something else so it is compatible with this pan? Why would you need to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I too have read about guys having clearance issues after upgrading the front differential cover but I haven't tried it for myself. Plus, I don't spend enough time in 4x for the extra capacity too make much difference.

I don't see why a special filter would be required to run the deeper tranny pan... Again, I haven't done this myself yet but from what I've read most seem to do the upgrade when service was due making replacing the filter part of the process.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply brother.

Yeah I can't figure out why mag hytec recommends a different filter (not the spin on one but the other one), unless it has something to do with the way it is supposed to be fit with the pan.

On a different note, I contacted PML and they do have diff covers that will work with 2014+ RAMs. They also state that their tranny pan works with the stock filter. I wish I knew what Mag-Hytec's reason was for a different filter.

OP
OP
jadocs

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Went back and re-read the Mag-Hytec info. I believe I misunderstood what they were saying. They include an OEM sump filter with every high capacity pan and state to purchase the spin on filter from the dealership. Their assumption is that both filters are replaced when installing a new pan. In other words a special filter is not required.

On a separate note, I did find a good way to get most of the trans oil from the pan out before dropping it. Use a hand pump and go in through the filler neck (where the dipstick is) and pump it out. This will leave about 1 quart in the pan which is manageable during removal.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That makes sense about the tranny filters. Confirms what I remember reading. And thanks for the tip for getting most of the fluid out of the old pan. I need to remember that when I change mine next year.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have front and rear magtech diff pans with the deep trans pan. I barely have a scratch or two on the front pan, across one of the fins, from my dual steering stabilizer, and thats with about 40,000 miles now. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Ill take a picture in the morning, as Ill be under there anyway, grinding off stock control arm mounts.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk