MPG on new 2500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am seriously considering a new 2015 2500 diesel with the automatic transmission. Wondering what mpg I can expect highway driving 65mph? I realize it will increase some with mileage.

Last edited:

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
First thing is welcome to the forum.

Second thing is that question will get you a whole gammit of different answers, but basically you'll see anything from 13 - 21 MPG depending on how you drive, Town or Highway, altitude.....

I love my 3500, it will tow almost anything I put behind it, but it is NOT a toyota, not built to be a fuel sipper. I am happy with my milage, unloaded when I drove it from Palmdale california to Ontario Canada (3000 miles or 4700 KM) i got 23 MPG but that is only highway driving no city, cruise set at 65 and left till I needed fuel again, for 5 days. That number is hand calculated not via onbard computer, some people will agrue that but I know what I know, now that it's being used as most people use a vehicle (city and highway) (not including towing) I get around 17. Throw on the fiver and it drops considerably.

Hope this helps but if fuel economy is a consideration you might want to buy somehting else.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
what he said. i've got the 5.7 hemi and i have no idea what my mileage is with or without my truck camper on or towing my boat or both.if you buy a heavy duty truck for heavy duty working,it's irrelevant cuz it's not going to be good compared to a light duty.i just suck it up and feed the beast when it's thirsty.

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
My 2015 6.7 2500 gets 15-16 in the city. Work is about 5-6 miles away only.

On the I-5 freeway in both directions, I get 20-21 without towing.

Carlo

OP
OP
R

RamblinRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the info. I really want a 1500 EcoDiesel for the MPG but the more I look at the numbers it appears to be marginal for my towing and payload needs. I have a 6500 pound travel trailer and want to put my 650# motorcycle in the bed. Adding the tongue weight, a couple people and gear puts the truck over the 1260 payload weight but still under the GCWR.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
1500 's are not designed for that kind of weight,trust me. i killed an f 150 doing that. the ifs will wear out really fast.buy more truck than you need.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks for the info. I really want a 1500 EcoDiesel for the MPG but the more I look at the numbers it appears to be marginal for my towing and payload needs. I have a 6500 pound travel trailer and want to put my 650# motorcycle in the bed. Adding the tongue weight, a couple people and gear puts the truck over the 1260 payload weight but still under the GCWR.
The MPGs of the Eco are really tempting. You can add airbags to a 1500 and look like you are towing within weights but if you do it often or for long distances it will be tough on the truck. I only pull our camper a few times a year. Now that I have pulled it with a HD truck there is no way I would do it with a half ton again. Realistically my next truck could be a 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. But I plan on keeping my Cummins for a long long time.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

jmyork88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/eTorque
So far my '16 2500 with only 1300 miles on it is averaging about 13-14 city...i just made a trip to Texas and back avg 75-80 mph and I was able to do 18 mpg...this is calculating on fuelly app no the evic....so far im happy as the engine still hasnt broken in.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My '14 2500 could reach 25 or slightly more on long 55mph roads where I didn't have to adjust much. I used to drive 45 miles to work so I loved that. Freeway 21 to 23, city what everyone else says. Not using cruise and being mindful is what gets you the best mileage on these trucks.

If you get the diesel, tow as heavy and as often as you can immediately after picking it up for the first 6,000 miles. Engine needs that to do the "final finish" and you'll see the best fuel economy if you do.

Also, make sure that you ALWAYS, except on icy/slippery roads, have the exhaust brake on full mode all the time you drive it. Keeps the turbo from sooting up and clogging.

CaliforniaJeff

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Blackout 2500
Engine
CTD 6.7
I just made the move from an ED to a 2500 ctd
Buy it for what you need it for and buy it once, you'll be happier
Get about 23 highway mpg as opposed to 27 with the ED keeping my speed 65-70

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
First thing is welcome to the forum.

Second thing is that question will get you a whole gammit of different answers, but basically you'll see anything from 13 - 21 MPG depending on how you drive, Town or Highway, altitude.....

I love my 3500, it will tow almost anything I put behind it, but it is NOT a toyota, not built to be a fuel sipper. I am happy with my milage, unloaded when I drove it from Palmdale california to Ontario Canada (3000 miles or 4700 KM) i got 23 MPG but that is only highway driving no city, cruise set at 65 and left till I needed fuel again, for 5 days. That number is hand calculated not via onbard computer, some people will agrue that but I know what I know, now that it's being used as most people use a vehicle (city and highway) (not including towing) I get around 17. Throw on the fiver and it drops considerably.

Hope this helps but if fuel economy is a consideration you might want to buy somehting else.

very good mileage for sure, not to be a bummer but turn around and head the opposite direction and the numbers go down (I have done this numerous times) due to prevailing winds and the air gets thinner heading west.:favorites13: