Needing a cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
So I am wanting to get a cummins. Have a few options figured I would post up to see whats all involved.

1. Buddy has a 01 V10 on his lot I can get for what he has in it ($3500), its got a blown motor. so would do either a 24v or 12v conversion not sure, still need to talk to a buddy who has done this switch to see whats involved.

2. Use my truck and stick a 12v in it, less computer stuff to mess with I believe in the swap. But then again I have no clue and maybe the 24v would be better.

3. Try and find a cheap quad cab diesel around 200k miles (as that is usually whats in my price range

now your thoughts and any advice please

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Forget the swap ..

You can find 12v's and 24v's with those miles pretty good . There is a place in near Chicago that has tons of them ... I will try and think of the name . Austins dad just bought one from up there brought it to the shop .. great 24v

Now pros and cons ...
12v no electrical BS ... straight air and fuel to make that puppy go .. Bad , no tuning capability as it has no "brain" . But allot of options to make real power with fuel pins ect ..

24v has its goods and bad .. stay with a vp44 pump they are cheaper . Common rail CTD'S can and will get pricy . For instance .. My old 24v injectors 700 bucks . Common rail Injectors 3k plus .

When looking at a CTD ... and to not have to spend tons of money fixing it or rebuilding I would look at a 12v with a manual trans .

My 2 cents

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
No thats Just 30 min east of me , they sell stuff but they are a-holes

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get a truck that was built as a diesel, Luke.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah ima have to agree with Michael, prob save you a lot of troubles etc even though it would be super bad ass cause I have always wanted to do a swap in my rcsb

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with everybody else, if ya wanna Cummins, buy one and don't experiment with a swap..

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
I have a guy in my car club who took a v10 and put the 24v in it. Couple months working when he could, got it done. But yeah will probably just buy one been scouring the interwebs all day too. Need to decide what I am gonna sell of my truck, before listing it for sale too

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I agree with ramhunter, your best bet is trying to find a 12 valve in good condition. the holy grail of all cummins engines.

the swap isnt to bad, especially if you have a good idea what you are doing and you know someone who did it already. there are a few guys on cummins forum that swapped a 12 valve into their 1500 with great success and AMAZING gas mileage.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I know you sort of need a cummins more so then just wanting one so I don't think a swap to your truck is the best route to go
You more so need a 2500(the HD suspension, beefier tranny and axles etc.) then a cummins really, the cummins will just make you happier lol

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Gas mileage, and ease pulling my camper/trailers. The swap seems fun, may have to try a 12v in one of my dads 41 Plymouth p/u's. Gotta get my hands figured out with work, and then will go from there.

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
That gray one I have seen browsing locally here, gonna have to get my money around to see what I can do

I have a feeling I am going to be heading south to get a good one, as up here they all have rust.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Why's the 12V regarded as the greatest Cummins engine found in the dodge? Other than the fact that it's all mechanical.

OP
OP
wermbang

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Maybe its the cheaper parts, and ease of repairing things??? plus tons of power

RYAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Maybe its the cheaper parts, and ease of repairing things??? plus tons of power

pretty much, they are so much simpler then the common rails. Like ramhunter said earlier the price difference for injectors is tremendous, a long with just about everything else. no need for a tuner. it adds up over time.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yeah I'd imagine prices and repairs be a bit easier for someone. My buddys dad has a 1st gen 12V and that thing is so much easier on the eyes under the hood than the CR.

I think the prices for CR parts are fair. The prices for the amount of power you get kinda go hand in hand when it comes to sticks, turbo, and pumps. Shoot it takes all that to cross the 400HP line with a 12/24V, when a CR can do it with just a programmer.