New Cummins and Dodge owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TurboDragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hey guys I just got a 2007 Cummins.. Its the 5.9L.. it is stock and only has 51,*** miles.. What are the first upgrades I should make? And what do i need to know about this truck in general? Thank you!

FlyinHaYn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I just got a 2007 Cummins.. Its the 5.9L.. it is stock and only has 51,*** miles.. What are the first upgrades I should make? And what do i need to know about this truck in general? Thank you!

Congratulations on the new Cummins. You will not be disappointed.
The question that i will start off with is, what is your goal for now? As far as HP goes, and the uses of the truck.

One thing that you should be happy to know is that you fortunately did not buy the Cummins with EGR on it. Lol.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Congrats on the new truck.
I would start with a visit to either Draconian diesel for some EFI-live tuning from Dave Matthews or Anarchy diesel.
Then pick up some gauges or an edge CTS for monitoring purposes.
Stick or auto?

FlyinHaYn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Congrats on the new truck.
I would start with a visit to either Draconian diesel for some EFI-live tuning from Dave Matthews or Anarchy diesel.
Then pick up some gauges or an edge CTS for monitoring purposes.
Stick or auto?
Those two are a great start, but it'd be helpful to have a goal.
Then again, you can't go wrong with EFI and some Edge gauges.. Even stacked.

OP
OP
TurboDragon

TurboDragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Its auto, which i hope isn't a big deal... I'm not much of a manual guy... what is egr? and can you guys explain tuners/programmers to me? I'm new to diesel and tuners/programers too.. I know very little about them..

OP
OP
TurboDragon

TurboDragon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Also i think my main goal for this truck is efficiency. I really appreciate the help guys!

FlyinHaYn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EGR came out in the 6.7.. It recirculates the exhaust back through to cut back on emissions. Simply put.
And with all this Clean Movement those deletes are being to be watched for. EPA is federal offense. Lol
As an automatic, especially a Dodge.. You should be ready to upgrade some things in it. Such as the torque converter and shafts if u plan on stacking major power. For now TC will suffice.

FlyinHaYn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For efficiency and no major power, and I had a truck your year, like I said EFI Live..
Edge is decent too, just runs a little hotter.
Maybe smarty, they're good, but you'll need gauges again.

I would do these few things for efficiency...
-Programmer/gauges.
-Intake (if you'd like)
-Exhaust (if you'd like)
-50 or 75hp Nozzles, or Inj (money wise)
-And depending in which route you take with programmers..
Something to help with fuel pressure.. I'm thinking about trying out an ATS Atomizer.
-And of course, a fuel system.. FASS or AirDog II

FlyinHaYn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To learn about tuners.. Honestly.. Just look up Edge, Smarty, Bully Dog, H&S, and read a little. You'll get the gist of it. EFI is for YOU as an individual owner.. That's the awesome thing about it, you decide what outputs you want, whether for efficiency or embarrassing a ricer.
There's also a programmer made with EFI technology but for the death of me I cannot remember the name.. It has two options to buy from..Towing, or performance. And I think I remember five levels.

ELIMIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fast One
go biofuel! gotta love diesel

ELIMIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fast One
hey maybe this question has been answered but can you turn a turbo diesel into a multifuel engine? like the M35A2C ?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Also i think my main goal for this truck is efficiency. I really appreciate the help guys!

I know its been a while but I just found this post again. Tuners/Programmers just change the parameters of the stock engine computer. A lot can be altered to improve hp, fuel economy, and to improve drive ability.
If you are looking for efficiency then I would go with EFI-Live and have a tuner write you a tune for fuel economy. It will add a little power as well. I have 4 tunes written for my truck (fuel economy, tow, street, and race). My fuel eco tune is about 60hp over stock and gets about 1.5mpg better fuel economy over the race tune (I run the race dune daily).
I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket intake, as the oem one is very efficient so you're just wasting money.
Exhaust will help a little.
Then as with any vehicle keep up on all of your fluid and filter changes, tire rotations and air pressures.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

change your filters! mopar makes a deep pleat air filter for the stock box. i also suggest a quality fuel filter such as baldwin. 2 common overlooked maintenance items. i would also suggest checking all fluids and their condition. at 51k, everything is probably still good though.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
I know its been a while but I just found this post again. Tuners/Programmers just change the parameters of the stock engine computer. A lot can be altered to improve hp, fuel economy, and to improve drive ability.
If you are looking for efficiency then I would go with EFI-Live and have a tuner write you a tune for fuel economy. It will add a little power as well. I have 4 tunes written for my truck (fuel economy, tow, street, and race). My fuel eco tune is about 60hp over stock and gets about 1.5mpg better fuel economy over the race tune (I run the race dune daily).
I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket intake, as the oem one is very efficient so you're just wasting money.
Then as with any vehicle keep up on all of your fluid and filter changes, tire rotations and air pressures.

Congrats with your Cummins! There are several tuners, down-loaders, on the market for your truck, from H&S, Banks Power, BullyDog, thats just to name a few. To free the hot exhaust gasses a 4 inch turbo-back, intake manifold, and a true closed cold air intake system will help your Cummins inhale and exhale cold dense air. These items that I mentioned will help lower egt's and a gain of better miles per gallon.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins

Congrats with your Cummins! There are several tuners, down-loaders, on the market for your truck, from H&S, Banks Power, BullyDog, thats just to name a few. To free the hot exhaust gasses a 4 inch turbo-back, intake manifold, and a true closed cold air intake system will help your Cummins inhale and exhale cold dense air. These items that I mentioned will help lower egt's and a gain of better miles per gallon.