Oil Change-different stories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TASCStunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
******* Diesel
OK, Sorry for the Oil Change Question but no one locally seems to have a straight answer, So I come to the Forum. (2014 Cummins 6.7)
Please send me to a link if this horse has been beaten enough. My engine indicator image on the dash says 55% life with 6,760 miles which would put me at approximately 14000 for a due oil change
and User guide says not to exceed 15000.
All the Dealers say they know what it says in the manuals but they say no more than 8K. SO, I called Ram customer service and they also said around 8K.
who do I listen to?
thx

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Great lookin truck! Sorry I can't help with your question though....

My '12 needed oil changes every 5500 miles until changes were made. Now I change it every 7500 or so when the light comes on.

OP
OP
T

TASCStunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
******* Diesel
Thanks! Just trying to get to the bottom of it. The skeptic in me thinks the dealer just wants you to go through the free oil changes asap so they can have you come in and start charging you. If I were to hypothetically go in 3-4 times a year for oil changes thats about 400.00 @ 120.00 a change. not crazy but not chump change either.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The dealerships 'recommend' shorter service intervals, they are not the factory recommended service intervals. Follow the owner's/service manual and they can't do anything, they may complain but you are following the factory recommended maintenance program and can not void any warranties doing that.

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
For the first two years, I'll have mine changed every 6 months, since I wont put enough miles on it to make me change it sooner. After that, I'm thinking around 8 to 10k between changes, but I really haven't given it much thought.

As others have said, as long as you don't exceed what the manual recommends, you'll be fine.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
I've personally heard on the new ones, change and do not exceed 15,000 miles for the oil changes. I can't speak for the newer 6.7Cummins, because I don't own one lol. However, when I bought my 2008 6.7 Cummins. If I remember correctly my maual stated do not exceed 7,500 miles for oil change. The service department told me to change at every 3,000 miles religiously, to avoid warranty. During that time there was big time issues with the 6.7 Cummins that Chrysler, and during that time Dodge was learning to learn, and how to deal with the problems. With the removal of the emissions crap, I use Mobil 1 5/40 Turbo Diesel Oil, and change about every 12,000 miles. Of course mine does not have the fancy cluster guage to see oil life. Personally if it was me I would go by the oil life cluster guage, or by what the manual states. After all it is a manual stating on how to care for your vehicle. But again that will be up to you.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Unless you are sending an oil sample off to a place such as Blackstone, oil change intervals are just a guess at best.
With that said, I change mine about every 7,500 miles, sometimes sooner. Three jugs of Rotella T6 and a Cummins filter comes to about $80. I change it twice a year and it takes no time at all. Fumoto valve + an old 5 gallon can of Trick race fuel = quick and clean oil changes.
I believe that early 6.7's had a shorter oil change interval because with the DPF the trucks would "make oil" between changes.

OP
OP
T

TASCStunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
******* Diesel
Thanks for all the advise and input!!
At the end of the day I,we just want to do the right thing without the influence of a sales or service manager. I'll keep checking the oil and will most likely change it every 6 months or 10k. ....or sooner if needed. I wanted to ask you guys for an unbiased opinion and to make sure my gut was on the right track. Thanks again!

OP
OP
T

TASCStunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
******* Diesel
Av8b6015
How do you like your lift? Looks awesome. Which one is it and how's the ride compared to the factory suspension?
Thx

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There was actually scientific study done by RAM under threat of class action lawsuit which revealed that the 7,500 mile claim by RAM on oil changes was premature, and driven by dealers to keep revenues up. Oil changes, it seemed, were about 25% of their non-warranty "cash" business diesel mechanics were doing for their dealerships. In short the shorter oil change intervals was helping pay for their mechanics nationwide at the expense of the truck owners. A consumer group blew the whistle.

RAM announced in, I believe, 2013 Cummins were perfectly OK at 15,000 mile intervals. I pull often with my '14 3500 so I change mine at 11k or 12k just so I feel better.

Equally important to the oil change is the fuel filter change. Make sure that gets done every 15,000 miles as well. Not doing it means lessened power and effected fuel economy.

Last edited:

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 2500 and my dealer said to go with what the computer says. I'm just over 10k miles right now and I'm at 17%. Going to change the oil tomorrow myself along with the fuel filters which is at 10% I believe.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
The most important is to stay with the same oil. Some guys will use a different oil at every oil change. Very important to use the same oil, rather it's conventional, or a synthetic. When changing the oil let the oil drain for awhile, I let mine drain for about 45 minutes with the oil cap off. For those that go to the dealerships, they buy the oil in bulk, whatever is cheaper they get, and slap a Mopar sticker on it. So they are always changing oil all the time, and they get whatever is cheaper in bulk at the time.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reporting in on my oil and fuel filter changes.

I had no problem going in through the wheel well and breaking the original filter from the factory. In fact I ended up just using a friction wrench that I picked up at autozone. No problem at all loosening to the point I could spin it by hand. I originally bought a filter socket (thinking I would need it), but that created less room after the wrench was attached (you run out of space going down). Anyway the method I used to get the filter out was to stick my finger in the hole, tilt it towards me and pull it through. Tip: wear gloves and don't be a dummy like me. The threads in the filter are sharp and I ended cutting my finger, plus the oil was pretty hot lol. Since the filter was off I was past the point of no return, so I sucked it up and pulled it out. I did spill a little oil, but not too bad. Pre filled the new filter and installed the same way. I had a little difficulty locating the bracket, but eventually got it on. If I had to do it again, I would have my wife guide me from the top while I located it through the wheel well.

Having said all that, the oil change went much faster (and less messy) than the fuel filter changes. I did install a Fumoto valve while I was under the truck. When doing my fuel filters I had to extend the drain tube from the engine, get tube for the rear (for draining), then you have the mess when removing the rear and water/fuel separator sensor. Once you remove the rear filter and dump the fuel into a catch can, more fuel will come out once the sensor is removed. It seemed to release vacuum pressure, and of course fuel came pouring out all over the place, so do it over something to catch the fuel.

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Av8b6015
How do you like your lift? Looks awesome. Which one is it and how's the ride compared to the factory suspension?
Thx

It's the Rough Country 5" lift. It rides good, maybe just a little bit stiffer, but not uncomfortable. I only had the stock suspension for 1000 miles.