P1048 :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Today, I was passing someone on the highway/back road-ish, and as I was passing someone I got the P1223 and 1048 codes. The 1223 code is for the grid heater (on the highway yesterday the grid heater light came on a beeped a few times, then went off...random) and the 1048 is high common rail pressure (on the smarty) or Fuel delivery error. I also noticed a real power decrease in the truck with harder throttle. Generally, it drives fine...whats the problem here?

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So I turned my smarty back to the stock tune, and my truck went back to normal. Today I decided to switch to the 100HP tune and I ran fine, until I started working the truck. I was running late to school so I was going between 70-100 the whole way until it repeatedly started started the glow plug sign with beaps and eventually the check engine light. Also, I could tell the truck heavily defueled after the check engine light.

I've read the p1048 code can be the fuel filter, fuel pump, or injectors (not starting weird, excess smoke, or rattling). But what can be brining up the p1223 code?

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I haven't yet, but I bought it brand new this past January. Wouldn't it have come updated, or is there already a new software?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would update it and see if it gives you the code again
Who knows when it was actually manufactured
I've heard of other guys having the p1223 codes and it being a problem with the smarty softwathapaskan fall I believe) that has since been fixed
Can't hurt to try!

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
UPDATE: I updated my smarty, and it fixed my grid heater code (thanks Cody, awesome input), however I was still getting the P1048. So I changed my fuel filter and I swear the truck now runs 100% better than before, in addition got rid of the code. It was a stupid mistake not to change the fuel filter when I bought the truck because it was REALLY bad. I used a 7um oem filter.

Also, big thanks to Schroeder for the how to update smarty thread.
http://www.ramforum.com/f67/smarty-update-how-13244/

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Glad you got it sorted out!
Sorry for the spelling too, I really need to proofread

With your tuner and pressure box make sure you stay ontop of the fuel filters!

ol'red02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
glad you figured it out! nothing worse than codes being thrown at you and having no idea why, been there brother!

Mark Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Today, I was passing someone on the highway/back road-ish, and as I was passing someone I got the P1223 and 1048 codes. The 1223 code is for the grid heater (on the highway yesterday the grid heater light came on a beeped a few times, then went off...random) and the 1048 is high common rail pressure (on the smarty) or Fuel delivery error. I also noticed a real power decrease in the truck with harder throttle. Generally, it drives fine...whats the problem here?
Fixed my truck with just retorquing injector stems to 41 lb there is a tsb from cummins