Questions from a gasser driver.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just kicking tires with the thought of getting a cummins. Had a a couple questions for you guys. 05 SLT 4x4 quad can long bed, 5.9L, 236k miles, one owner all service records, newer tranny and tires. Asking 11 grand. Seems like a deal? I don't know that I'll pursue it, but it got me thinking. So the following is hypothetical: As a daily driver with the occasionally monthly 500 mile road trip, would this be a decent choice? (Or any cummins for that matter) also my main concern is cost of ownership. On any diesel no matter mileage, what have y'all's experiences been with repairs and such. Some I have heard say it's cheaper to own a diesel than a gasser, others claim service and parts are 3x more expensive. No, I don't tow much or very often, but I am looking for a lifetime truck that I can do anything anywhere with as my needs may change. Limited budget right now says that whatever I have needs to be fairly decent on the wallet as far as services and such. Where are he negatives to daily driving cummins ownership? Or am I better off sticking with my Hemi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
It isn't cheaper owning a modern diesel over a has job. An 05 b5.9 is a pretty stout engine with a great service life. At 11 grand it is a good deal if its in decent shape. Is it completely stock? I ask because I've seen so many of the diesels get into the hands of wannabes that ruin the truck so they can "roll coal" on the way into the Luke Bryan concert.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Appears totally stock and in good shape. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner. As far as diesel service costs in general, you say it isn't more expensive than a gas truck?

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
No, diesels will pretty much always be more expensive. Just doing an oil change costs far more. At least it doesn't have a DOC and SCR in the after treatment. They can get 15-20 mpg pretty regularly but it will trend downwards with higher mileage. Is the front end falling apart?

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure about any details on that specific truck as I haven't spoken with the seller yet. I'm willing to trade a little higher costs for increased reliability/durability and fuel mileage, (although mileage doesn't matter cause diesel here is 45 cents higher than regular. )
My hemi is awesome, but I don't think you'll find anyone who will even attempt to claim it or any gasser is as durable as a diesel. I'll post more info about this specific truck tomorrow. I was just trying to find out if the higher costs of ownership is worth it I suppose, and how a cummins works as a daily driver.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Double post

Last edited:

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Diesels are a different animal. They can run forever, others have big problems (like the 6.0 powerstroke and 6.4 PS). When they break its expensive. The 5.9 was always a great engine, people want to keep them for the most part, I know it better than most because I work for cummins. At 250k it might need some work, but it also might run like a top if its been cared for. Of worry about the rest of the truck though. A quarter mill is a lot on any pickup.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
In my experience it's a wash when it comes to ownership cost. If you can do the work yourself you will save a lot of money. The only maintenance/repairs that I have had to do on my truck have been serpentine belt (broke due to the a/c compressor seizing), wheel bearings, sway bar end links, oil/filter and fuel filter changes. Only the oil and fuel filter are related to the engine.
Sure the oil change costs more, but you are going 2-3 times the distance between oil changes.
Both vehicles had/have tuners and the diesel gets about 25% better fuel economy across the board. I can speak for stock vs stock.

OP
OP
F

FordConvert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks like the deal I found slipped me buy. Sold in less than 24 hours of being posted. Appreciate all the advice though y'all.