sorry for dumb question, i'm a newbie, if u dont use the exhaust brake does the truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
sorry for dumb question, i'm a newbie, if u dont use the exhaust brake does the truck consume the diesel exhaust fluid DEF at all? or at a slower rate? TRUCK is 2015 Ram 2500 diesel cummins.

markyfly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The exhaust brake and the after treatment system are 2 completely separate things. The exhaust brake slows you down by using the compression of the engine.

The DEF is injected into the exhaust to break down the NOx emissions into nitrogen and oxygen

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
What he said^^^ no dumb questions here! That's why we're all here is to ask questions and share knowledge.

AirborneRGR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should ALWAYS use the exhaust brake to prevent carbon build up on the actuator in the turbo. It's a variable geometry turbo, over time carbon will build up and prevent it from sliding. Using the exhaust brake, engages the actuator when you let off the throttle, to slow the vehicle.

Long periods of idling are also bad for the turbo and DPF. Delete it.....

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I have no input except for the fact that it'll save on brake wear :)

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
The exhaust brake and the after treatment system are 2 completely separate things. The exhaust brake slows you down by using the compression of the engine.

The DEF is injected into the exhaust to break down the NOx emissions into nitrogen and oxygen
Thanks for your reply. One last question, when i press on the switch of the exhaust brake, its 'icon' on the dashboard turns orange yellow & when you press once more it turns to green. What does the orange yellow and green represent? I assume that orange yellow means half the exhaust brake is engaged and greeen means full exhaust brake engaged?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You should ALWAYS use the exhaust brake to prevent carbon build up on the actuator in the turbo. It's a variable geometry turbo, over time carbon will build up and prevent it from sliding. Using the exhaust brake, engages the actuator when you let off the throttle, to slow the vehicle.

Long periods of idling are also bad for the turbo and DPF. Delete it.....

Unless they changed something the Cummins has never used a variable vane turbo. It is a variable nozzle which doesn't coke up like the variable vane turbo's that GM and Ford use.
Since it is a 2015 truck there is no good reason to delete it, I'm sure most people like the whole not getting cancer thing.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Unless they changed something the Cummins has never used a variable vane turbo. It is a variable nozzle which doesn't coke up like the variable vane turbo's that GM and Ford use.
Since it is a 2015 truck there is no good reason to delete it, I'm sure most people like the whole not getting cancer thing.

They do and have choked up with soot if you don't use the exhaust brake. Soot prevents the collar from sliding.
I do have to agree about not needing to delete. Aftermarket tuning will do to a new emission intact truck what deleting did a few years ago. EFI-Live has opened a lot of doors.