Talk me in or out of buying a diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muleywannabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 on order, I can back out if need be. I found the dream truck of mine. 2013 Ram 2500 diesel, the way I want the truck etc.

I pull a trailer every weekend and sometimes during the week. I either pull it with my mower on the the trailer or I pull a UTV to the farm to check trail cameras all summer and hunt all fall. I also pull my 30hp tractor at least 12 times a year and its a load for a 1/2 ton truck.

here is my dilemma...I love the ride of a 1/2 ton truck, comfortable, non lumber wagon type ride. I currently own a toyota tundra and its not the best ride either, kinda rough actually but the 5.7L V8 is a screamer engine.

Here are my main concerns...

is a new diesel really that much work? I will buy new and I drive normal most of the time, some highway daily and mostly in town driving.

Will the 2500 Ram ride a lot more rough? I have a little one and I hate to see her bounce around in the back seat instead of riding in comfort.

What are your thoughts? Talk me into buying a diesel 2500 or tell me to keep the one I ordered. Either way I am getting a nice truck and not highly concerned about the initial price of the vehicle but rather the ongoing costs.

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2010 2500 mega cab and I love
Everything about it. Rides very very smooth. My dad has a tundra and my truck has a smoother ride than his. I say go for the diesel. I think you will be happier with it in the long run. As far as cost goes, it cost me about $110 to fill up my tank from a quarter of a tank full. Oil changes run me $100 but I use high quality synthetic oil and change it myself.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I don't see your need for a diesel, as the trailers you're pulling aren't that heavy, but you also don't want to regret getting the 1500 when your "dream truck" was available.

Only you can really answer what's more important.

Chris

OP
OP
M

muleywannabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
They have a 32 gallon tank so the higher price tag is to be expected. I am excited about a 32 gallon tank!

OP
OP
M

muleywannabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I don't see your need for a diesel, as the trailers you're pulling aren't that heavy, but you also don't want to regret getting the 1500 when your "dream truck" was available.

Only you can really answer what's more important.

Chris

Chris,

you have a good point. I just see horror stories like yours and the long wait and I am the type that does not wait for anything...here I sitting on 4 weeks already and the truck I ordered has not even thought about being made yet. So, I start searching around and looking around etc...my wheels start spinning and look what happens. haha. Initially, when I started looking at trucks, I leaned towards the diesel, then backed off because of price but I found the exact truck I ordered in a diesel and the price tag is very nice too...better than expected

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say get it, your Hemi could hang, but the Cummins will do it better. If you wait for the Hemi, you'll always have that, 'i could've had a Cummins' in the back of your head.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I had a 1500 Hemi, now have a 2500 Cummins. Yes the cost to maintain is higher, but the pulling difference is night and day. I was sold at my first test drive as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
Go diesel you'll never look back, I have had two older ones [95-98] and loved both pulling power is unmatched, fuel economy depends on how you drive, the loads weight and gear ratio the truck has maintance is somewhat expensive but a well maintained diesel will go well into the 400k mileage range.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If you are already driving the diesel now, then I'm sure you have already made up your mind. Only thing stopping you now is the wife...haha.

OP
OP
M

muleywannabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Love the diesel. Im sold just wish it rode like a half ton lol. Its not horrible but every bump is felt...gotaa remember its a 2500 haha

mceranowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Cummins my choice

I have owned a 2005 hemi Ram 1500, which was capable of...and did ok towing 7000 lbs of boat and trailer. I swore I would get the diesel for my next truck but ended up getting a phenomenal deal on a 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie, so of course I bought it. Since that time I have cursed myself every time I have towed something. My experience has been...if on flat terrain it does an admirable job, however on almost any grade the hemi will start to breathe hard and drop gears badly...even if in tow mode. It drove me crazy to tow with it so now I am the proud owner of a 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn with the cummins diesel. Don't get me wrong, the 1500 was a great truck and rode very well. But if you think you will regret not getting the diesel and contemplate getting it in a couple years I would go for it instead of another hemi. Just my 2 cents from my own experience.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think you're going to love that CTD! There is a part of me that thinks I should have coughed up the extra $$ for one.

That part would be the part that just got 12.7 MPG with my Hemi 2500!
Pretty sure even with the DPF rubbish I could best that easy with a new Cummins.

Sybil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If my wife read this...she would kill me. hahaha

I'm with your wife on this one. My husband keeps trying to convince me to trade my 2011 CC 4x4 sport in on an all black 2013 mega cab dually diesel.

I said no, our truck is paid for and I like it better than the diesel.

I got my way, of course. Took some distractions on my part tho:boobs:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm with your wife on this one. My husband keeps trying to convince me to trade my 2011 CC 4x4 sport in on an all black 2013 mega cab dually diesel.

I said no, our truck is paid for and I like it better than the diesel.

I got my way, of course. Took some distractions on my part tho:boobs:

I thought only my wife did that. LOL!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Riehlsassy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 & 2500
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7 Cummins
I currently own both a 2012 1500 Crew Cab with 5.7 Ltr. Hemi as well as a 2012 2500 Crew Cab with 6.7 Ltr. Cummins. I originally traded in my 2010 Ram 1500 for the 2500 Diesel, due to the fact that I put an insanely high amount of mileage on my vehicles and wanted to have an engine that would last longer than the truck payment. The Cummins is quick, Very quick! although coming from the comfort of the 1500 the ride was much rougher which was a bummer for me. So I gave the 2500 to my husband and picked up the 1500 Hemi. I have owned that one for almost a year and although I love the 1500 itself I am ordering a fully loaded 2014 1500 Crew Cab Eco Diesel. If the new light duty diesel can provide me with the benefits of a diesel with the ride and comfort of the gas engine models I will be quite thrilled.

Just my two Cents :)