Tell me about the infamous 53 block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
So I've been looking at 2nd gens for sale in my area and would like to learn more about the 53 block. I know all about the rest of the truck and even most of the CTD engine, however, i dont know a whole lot about the 53 block.

I know that there was a casting flaw which results in them being cracked, flawed, etc. I know about the repair method too.

Once it cracks once, is that it? Is that the only time it ever will? Once its repaired, is it fixed forever?

What years had the 53 block? If i find one with 200k miles and it has never cracked, will it eventually? What else should i worry about?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

samuelscreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I'd say if it's made it 100k without a crack it's probably a good block. I've parted out 2 with over 175k and both blocks were fine

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Usually crack between 100k - 150k. Seen some with high hp that haven't cracks but seen some with mild mods crack. Its pretty hit or miss but do you wanna take the chance? Choice is all yours haha

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The 53's are mostly found in 98.5 to 00 years maybe some 01's I can't remember

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
http://dieseliq.com/cummins-diesel-engine-53-block

The Cummins "53" Block was used in Cummins 24 valve ISB diesel engines from 1998.5-2002. Manufactured by Brazilian company, TUPY.

The "53" block casting has thin water jacket walls that are susceptible to cracking. With coolant cavitation, corrosion, coolant pressure in the block, frequent or heavy towing they may crack, causing a loss of coolant. Failing to let an engine properly warm after a cold start, and engine overheating can contribute to the development and propagation of cracks in the water jackets of these blocks.

Cracks commonly develop on the passenger side of the 53" blocks, right below the freeze plugs. Automatic transmission owners may have difficulty viewing cracks because they often occur directly beneath the automatic transmission heat exchanger.

Cummins "53" Block Identification

Cummins "53" blocks can be identified by a "53" casting number located on the side of the block. The casting number is commonly seen on the passenger side, below the injection pump, although some #53 blocks have the casting number located on the driver side near the front of the engine.

To determine if a particular engine has a "53" block, on the passenger side of the engine, you should see a large wiring harness mounted to the block. Directly below oil filter mounting assembly, and directly in front of the front turbo drain port in the block, just above where the oil pan meets the block, if present there will be a "53" cast in the block. The numbers will be about 1 inch tall.

Cummins Diesel "53" Block Repair

Temporary "53" block fixes include block stitching and welding. These temporary fixes can hold you over until you can find a replacement engine.

The real problem with these temporary fixes is the wall thickness in that area of the block. That's why drilling out the ends of the crack, V-notching the wound, and welding don't necessarily permanently fix the problem. The block could re-crack.

Luke