What should I look for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bduemig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am a Ford guy so I am not too familiar with Dodge. I recently purchased a larger 5th wheel and my 94 F250 7.3 idit falls below the weight of my trailer so I am looking for a 1 ton dually.

I found a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT Laramie Quad Cab with a 5.9L with a 6 speed manual transmission.

When I go to look at it, is there anything special (weak areas ) I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'd look for the same stuff as any other vehicle; any leaks, damage, or poor body work. A decent test drive is needed. Check how it starts, and shifts. Look for items/areas that could show a blown head gasket, or weak transmission, especially for towing. Check the coolant for oil film on top, oil cap for signs of foaming, smoke on acceleration, white smoke especially usually is a head gasket. Check the bottom of the front tranny plate for any leakage that could be a rear main seal. Does it track straight or all over the road? Any vibration/death wobble? Other than that, I believe the 5.9 is a solid workhorse sir.

Fishman1113

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look underneath for fender well and rocker rust. Also feel those areas on the painted side to see if there is any "soft" spots. I bought my 03 without knowing much about the rust issues with the older rams. I loved everything about it but the rust issues that showed up only a month or two after buying it. (I bought it in 2011). But the rust issues are an easy fix. Especially if you can get to them before the cancer starts or at least really gets going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk