Yeah, I really want a Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
I really want a Cummins. I asked a lot of questions and got plenty of great answers from you folks.

So to sum it all up........if I get a Cummins and I get the DPF removed (and I think there was one more thing that needs to be removed I forget what it is)........ is that the "cure all"?

It just seems too good to be true. It really is the cure all? How much does it cost to delete all that stuff? Will it be hard to find a shop that will do it? Considering it will void the warantee.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Egr is the other. It's not the cure all but damn close. There are a few options for replacing the deleted parts. (this only works from 07.5-12 6.7L's) DPF- you can just remove the dpf with a delete pipe or to get better flow and sound delete the cat with a new down pipe. This will range for roughly $90-150. EGR- you have a couple of options also. Just unplug it. Get a egr delete kit ($120-$150) this keeps the factory intake horn and caps off the areas where the removed egr left open. In addition you can add a new intake horn ($300-400). Now for the expensive part, the tuner. You can still find smarty jr's that are delete capable for around $600-700. That will be your cheapest option. Most will recommend H&S, and so will I. You have technically 4 options with H&S. XRT PRO. Same as the smarty, it's a hand held tuner that you choose the tune you want and remove it. These are starting to climb in price $1000+. And the one that just about everyone will recommend the mini maxx. You can find 2 options with the mini maxx a pre-ban race tuner or a street version with a unlock code. (there is a non delete Street version also) the mm will give you the ability to choose from 3 (same as the XRT) power levels on the fly with the ability to choose what you want to monitor. (visually looks like a bullydog tuner) these will run $1200+ and are getting harder to find for the lower end of the price range. You can also get custom tunes made from various tuners but you need the mcc unlock $200. Your "4th" option you can still find used ones kicking around is the predecessor to the mm is the black maxx. Cost will be the same as the mm.
Hope this helps

Sent From My HTC ONE MAX

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Other delete options are EFI Live, RaceME (basically the new smarty) and there's a re tuner called Torque Tech I believe.
Used delete capable mini maxx are running about $1400-$1500 now

OP
OP
W

WhySoSerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Not Yet
Engine
To Be Announced
Thanks for the great replies you 2. Very good information. Man, this is a lot that is involved. I guess that is the price we have to pay though, to get a truck that we truly want.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I just bought one saturday after months of looking
If youre patient you will find what youre looking for

Badunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Will it be hard to find a shop that will do it? Considering it will void the warantee.

A shop couldn't care less about voiding your warranty. They may care, however, about the steep penalties if they (or any of their customers) get caught. You might also consider that it will be illegal for you to sell your vehicle with the emissions equipment deleted. Don't get rid of the stuff you remove. You may need to reinstall it all before selling.

I certainly understand your desire to do the deletes; the emissions equipment was the primary reason I did not purchase a Cummins this time.

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What all are you trying to "cure"?

Is your new truck sick? does leaving that stuff on there result in a "dead" truck down the road?

As has been mentioned, you lose the warranty, and it technically is Illegal to sell the truck without the original emissions equipment.

Not trying to be smart-alick, but what's the deal yo?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Emmisions systems on 07.5-current diesels decrease power, fuel economy and reliabilty of the engine. Simple as that.

They add uneeded back pressure to the exhaust, they use diesel fuel to clean out the particulate filters and recirculate unfiltered exhaust back into the engine.

There are positives to the emmisions equipment but the down side is what most people point out.

HorseManAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Ram 2500
OP: if you really want a CTD, might I suggest buying one and driving it a while as is...I think you'll be surprised at mileage and performance. You may find that you'd rather leave everything stock. If you're really into the mods and deletes, I'd suggest finding an older low mileage CTD and messing with it.

Reactions: Sud