$600 seem high or about right?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my truck used a few months ago and the previous owner loved to take it to the carwash that swirls the heck out of the paint. Over the past two months I've been back and forth about what to do...ceramic or just regular paint sealant. I finally have chosen to do a paint sealant.

I found a local guy whose site shows amazing quality work and contacted him about a two stage polish of the truck. He said he'll do a wash, claybar, 2 stage polish/paint correction, coat of paint sealant, and then a layer of wax. He charges $600 and says it takes 8-10 hours to get everything done. I'm wondering if this is reasonable? Has anyone else taken their truck to a pro detailer for all of this stuff and paid around that?

Another shop I went to said $300 but that seemed so cheap I have a hard time believing they'd do a very good job, one other place said $450...which seemed reasonable but still kinda sketchy. Maybe I'm just basing everything off the guy with the $600 price since he is mobile and the other places have shops, which lead me to believe they should be more expensive than him due to overhead.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It really depends on the work they do (and not claim to do). You really get what you pay here. If you want to achieve a good repair or seal you have a lot of work and the price is higher. I would personnaly take the guy in order to make sure this (repair) job is well done.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hard to say but I would go with the 600 probably. Variance in price likely due to the skill of the labor. Get it done right the first time without the hassle of picking/dropping off.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Price seems in the ball park for what you described. I'd find out what products he uses, I'd go look at some vehicles he has done(in person)and I'd talk to previous customers. With a black truck, see what kind of price he gives you on a "coating" instead of a sealant and wax. The coating will resist small scratches better and will last a lot longer depending on how often you wash and if you park inside or outside. The coating should last about 2 years plus whereas the sealant and wax--maybe 6 month to a year depending on the above. Black is a ***** to maintain and the coating will just make it easier if the price is not out of sight. If you decide to go for the coating check to see how many he has done before cause some of them are a ***** to work with and really a ***** to get off if you screw it up.
Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Price seems in the ball park for what you described. I'd find out what products he uses, I'd go look at some vehicles he has done(in person)and I'd talk to previous customers. With a black truck, see what kind of price he gives you on a "coating" instead of a sealant and wax. The coating will resist small scratches better and will last a lot longer depending on how often you wash and if you park inside or outside. The coating should last about 2 years plus whereas the sealant and wax--maybe 6 month to a year depending on the above. Black is a ***** to maintain and the coating will just make it easier if the price is not out of site. If you decide to go for the coating check to see how many he has done before cause some of them are a ***** to work with and really a ***** to get off if you screw it up.
Jay

He won't do coatings at all, so I'd have to take it to another shop. The shop I got the coating quote at charges $1000 which is a little out of my price range.

I saw some of the $600 guys work at a Camaro show, he did like 10-15 of the 50 that were there...they looked amazing. I have to park outside since I have 7ft doors and truck is to tall, I also use the two bucket wash method and never use anything on the body that has touched the tires. I'm planning on buying a Flex this summer to do wax and paint sealant myself, just want it professionally done once first. Looks like the best route is to have the mobile guy do it for $600.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Detailing is a fine art... some are good others are not.. and you definitely get what you pay for... $600 doesn't sound bad for what you describe.

But sometimes the cheap shops do a good job, used to pay for a super detail after every harvest from working in the fields, full steam clean, underside and engine clean and body wash and claybar'd waxed and polished for $150... they did a damn good job for that... now that wasn't up to the level of things you describe but still shows a good detail can be cheap. The local Auto mall uses him for final details on sales on their used cars. Is always worth seeing where the dealers go and use them. I tend to find better quality instead of hack jobs that way.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think after he finishes with the seal and wax, if you maybe use something like Opti Spray Wax after every wash, it will give it a little added protection and the wax and sealant will last a little longer. It's just a spray on and wipe off--about 15 minutes and your done. Look it up on autogeek and read about it--I use it every week and also add it to my wash water when I wash the truck. It's tough to keep one nice when you have to park outside everyday. When I buy a new one I always drive it home and test fit it in the garage before I buy it--LOL
Jay

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Detailing is a fine art... some are good others are not.. and you definitely get what you pay for... $600 doesn't sound bad for what you describe.

But sometimes the cheap shops do a good job, used to pay for a super detail after every harvest from working in the fields, full steam clean, underside and engine clean and body wash and claybar'd waxed and polished for $150... they did a damn good job for that... now that wasn't up to the level of things you describe but still shows a good detail can be cheap. The local Auto mall uses him for final details on sales on their used cars. Is always worth seeing where the dealers go and use them. I tend to find better quality instead of hack jobs that way.

I agree!

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think after he finishes with the seal and wax, if you maybe use something like Opti Spray Wax after every wash, it will give it a little added protection and the wax and sealant will last a little longer. It's just a spray on and wipe off--about 15 minutes and your done. Look it up on autogeek and read about it--I use it every week and also add it to my wash water when I wash the truck. It's tough to keep one nice when you have to park outside everyday. When I buy a new one I always drive it home and test fit it in the garage before I buy it--LOL
Jay

I have Adam's H2O Guard and Gloss which is a paint sealant you apply while drying. I also am a clean freak so I usually wash the truck twice a week and clean it up with detail spray daily as needed. I knew I was going to be parking in the driveway and was okay with it, otherwise I definitely wouldn't have done the lift and bigger tires.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
After performing this myself on my truck last year, $600 is easy to justify. There's a TON of sheet metal on these things. Like others have said, check his other work, ask about the products... but as far as the price is concerned, it's fair.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
$600 is in line with what they charge around here. I agree, ya get what ya pay for.

samuelscreech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It's all about finding someone with experience you can trust. The volume shop I do work for only charges 225 for a 2 step. And it turns out as well as any I've seen

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^^^^^ Where are you located? IMHO that's realllllly cheap
Jay

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I as well am interested in a professional job. I know a guy who owns a body shop and does insurance claims and restoration work. He is known for his restoration work beyond the US and has done work for Jay Leno and has had cars that are 1 of 5 in the word in his shop. Not saying he is super special just that he knows his craft well and has 40 years experience. I had him look at my Ram and he went on to explain the cheaper silicone base job you can get for $150 and it will look really good but only fills the cracks and wears away in 6-8 months. Then he explained he does it right and makes paint, "look like glass." Actually removes the scratches instead of filling them. He told me 500-800 for his and it would take a whole day.

I'm just debating whether I pay that or have my buddy who is one of his buffers that would do my truck there anyway do it on the side for a couple hundred less. If anything were to happen I know Todd the shop owner would make it right...But I could pay my buddy a chunk which is a win...

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
seems reasonable to me. I always did friends vehicles for free (I have done mine more than 1000 times) but I finally tired of that after many years. Now if someone asks about a wax/polish job I say "300.00" and that scares them away, thank God lol.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a guy doing mine for $350. Wash, clay, polish, and sealant with C Quartz. I've seen 4 cars he did and it is well worth it. I will be dropping it off the first week of May and leaving it with him for a few days since this is his side job. Go to YouTube and look up C Quartz Results and you can see what it does for yourself. And from what he said, you shouldn't wax on top of a sealant. You lose the product then cause a sealant protects the paint and keep crap from sticking to it as where the wax will wear off but leave a fine residue that helps the dirt stick.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a guy doing mine for $350. Wash, clay, polish, and sealant with C Quartz. I've seen 4 cars he did and it is well worth it. I will be dropping it off the first week of May and leaving it with him for a few days since this is his side job. Go to YouTube and look up C Quartz Results and you can see what it does for yourself. And from what he said, you shouldn't wax on top of a sealant. You lose the product then cause a sealant protects the paint and keep crap from sticking to it as where the wax will wear off but leave a fine residue that helps the dirt stick.

Everything I've read contradicts what you're saying about wax over sealant. Not saying you are wrong, but maybe it's just particular products don't mesh well. The guy who is doing mine uses Adam's Polishes...which is how I found him since he is the local dealer for them. Adam's site even says you can layer as much as you want with sealant then wax. Sealant doesn't give as much of a shine as wax does, so in order to really get a car to pop you want something else. Some people will use glaze instead of wax, but layering from what I've seen on lots of sites is pretty common and suggested by detailers.

However, what you are saying is true...but if you keep on top of cleaning your car and waxing...you'll never have that issue. The products he is going to use is a 3-6 month paint sealant and a good wax that should last a month or two depending on weather. I plan on also waxing it again a month after he does it. Luckily I use the same products he does, so it should all work well with eachother.

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Everything I've read contradicts what you're saying about wax over sealant. Not saying you are wrong, but maybe it's just particular products don't mesh well. The guy who is doing mine uses Adam's Polishes...which is how I found him since he is the local dealer for them. Adam's site even says you can layer as much as you want with sealant then wax. Sealant doesn't give as much of a shine as wax does, so in order to really get a car to pop you want something else. Some people will use glaze instead of wax, but layering from what I've seen on lots of sites is pretty common and suggested by detailers.

However, what you are saying is true...but if you keep on top of cleaning your car and waxing...you'll never have that issue. The products he is going to use is a 3-6 month paint sealant and a good wax that should last a month or two depending on weather. I plan on also waxing it again a month after he does it. Luckily I use the same products he does, so it should all work well with eachother.

Yea. Wax helps it shine better he said. But sealant protects better. C Quartz lasts 2 years too. Per autogeek.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I used to charge 500/600 for complete wet sand and polish/seal/wax etc...that was like 10 years ago.
A little less if only spot sanding and using primarily the buffer and compounds. Every vehicle has different needs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye