2nd Detail but using better product question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did my first work on my 17 in March. I clayed with mothers, polished with Meguiars Ultimate polish, then waxed with Meguiars black wax.

Its been 3 months and I've decided I want to seal since I didn't before and use better products. Did some research on auto geek, chemical guys, etc and I'm thinking I'll go Klasse AIO, and then Klasse glaze seal, followed by a non cleaner caranuba.

Question is since there is likely still some wax from my previous job i need to clean/prep it before the glaze. The Klasse AIO will do this for me, but I've still got a full bottle of the Meguiars ultimate polish which would I'm thinking do the same thing as far as removing the old wax.

Do you guys polish everytime to clean or would you just get a say a spray cleaner and clean it, and then just go Klasse glaze seal and a wax and skip the Klasse AIO?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally use chemical guys citrus spray wash. It removes the wax then I seal and wax. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I personally use chemical guys citrus spray wash. It removes the wax then I seal and wax. So far so good.

I'll check out. Only thing I didn't like when browsing Chemical guys is they have way too many products in the same categories. So its hard to narrow down what I want.

I picked Klasse based on the claims of lasting a year, reviews, and being priced pretty reasonably. Since my truck is always outside I'd probably do 6 months. Want some solid UV protection for the sun so I'm open to others as well.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had chemical guys jet seal on my car and mecguiars carnauba paste for about 5 months. Looks good but probably going to redo it as he car sits outside 24/7. Trucks got seal and wax as well for 3 months.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You want to remove any old wax before sealing, this can easily be done by using Dawn or any other dish soap, it will strip the wax and any other grease away then you can seal away to your heart's content.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Remember that any paint correction ie; scratches/swirls need to be removed before you seal. Also if your truck is outside 24/7 I would check again to see if you need to clay bar your truck again. It's kinda like a house, if the foundation isn't worth a ****, nothing else will be either. If your surface isn't squeaky clean, you're just covering up crap on the surface----and you'll be able to see any scratches/swirls under the sealant and wax. Just for grins, take a look at Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 and Collinite 845 Wax. Also take a look at autopia.
Jay

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the Klasse stuff for years. I grew tired of the dual layer process. I started using the blackfire brand sealants and polishes. I love the stuff. Like the guys said above the difference is in the prep. The dawn wash will remove any thing you have one there enough to put the Klasse on there. I would wash and dry and look at the condition of the paint for swirl marks(easier to see if it is a dark color.) and possibly do a polish product then do Klasse. I'm not a pro by any means but I'm better than the average Joe lol

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You want to remove any old wax before sealing, this can easily be done by using Dawn or any other dish soap, it will strip the wax and any other grease away then you can seal away to your heart's content.

Interesting didn't know that dish soap would strip wax. Thanks

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the Klasse stuff for years. I grew tired of the dual layer process. I started using the blackfire brand sealants and polishes. I love the stuff. Like the guys said above the difference is in the prep. The dawn wash will remove any thing you have one there enough to put the Klasse on there. I would wash and dry and look at the condition of the paint for swirl marks(easier to see if it is a dark color.) and possibly do a polish product then do Klasse. I'm not a pro by any means but I'm better than the average Joe lol

I was originally looking at Blackfire, but from what I read the Crystal seal only lasts a month or two, while really easy to apply. But even if easy I guess I liked the 6 months to a year protection Klasse at the price.

Typically on autogeek it mentions length of durability of products but on Blackfire Wet Diamond and The Wolfgang 3.0 mentioned above I don't seen any mention. Safe to assume they are in that 6 month to a year group?

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember that any paint correction ie; scratches/swirls need to be removed before you seal. Also if your truck is outside 24/7 I would check again to see if you need to clay bar your truck again. It's kinda like a house, if the foundation isn't worth a ****, nothing else will be either. If your surface isn't squeaky clean, you're just covering up crap on the surface----and you'll be able to see any scratches/swirls under the sealant and wax. Just for grins, take a look at Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 and Collinite 845 Wax. Also take a look at autopia.
Jay

Wolfgang definitely looks solid and has great reviews. Adding it to consideration

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I was originally looking at Blackfire, but from what I read the Crystal seal only lasts a month or two, while really easy to apply. But even if easy I guess I liked the 6 months to a year protection Klasse at the price.

Typically on autogeek it mentions length of durability of products but on Blackfire Wet Diamond and The Wolfgang 3.0 mentioned above I don't seen any mention. Safe to assume they are in that 6 month to a year group?

I get about 3 months out of the Blackfire that I use on the wife's Audi. I use the Wolfgang 3.0 on my truck and it lasts all summer. The Blackfire is super liquid and always saturated a full 2 sets of application pads when I machine it into the Audi but I only use one set of pads with the Wolfgang on the larger truck.
fdbfc771543752fd3826f275f7a8433b.jpg

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get about 3 months out of the Blackfire that I use on the wife's Audi. I use the Wolfgang 3.0 on my truck and it lasts all summer. The Blackfire is super liquid and always saturated a full 2 sets of application pads when I machine it into the Audi but I only use one set of pads with the Wolfgang on the larger truck.
fdbfc771543752fd3826f275f7a8433b.jpg

Good info being that you have used both. They are the same price and Wolfgang comes with a free microfiber and applicator now so sounds like the way to go. Do you wax over the top or is the Wolfgang glossy enough as is?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Good info being that you have used both. They are the same price and Wolfgang comes with a free microfiber and applicator now so sounds like the way to go. Do you wax over the top or is the Wolfgang glossy enough as is?

I always wax over any sealant, it helps it last longer. The gloss is there with either sealant but after 3-4 coats of a good wax it's nice and deep.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always wax over any sealant, it helps it last longer. The gloss is there with either sealant but after 3-4 coats of a good wax it's nice and deep.

Perfect thanks the reviews have me sold on Wolfgang. Now to decide my wax

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always top the Wolfgang with Collinite 845. The combination has worked well for me. My truck is garage kept and I seal and wax it at least once a month so mine would not be a good example to use for testing longevity. I do know you can expect at least 6 months from the Wolfgang by itself. Topped with Collinite you should get more than that, but it all depends on the weather conditions, how often you wash your truck, do you use automatic car washes(tunnels of destruction), what type soap do you use--etc etc etc. Make sure you let the Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 setup for about 24 hours before you top it with any wax. Also you might think about using something like Opti Spray Wax after you wash your truck. Just a little more protection and a little more "pop". It will only take an additional 15-30 minutes to do the whole truck, and it's not real expensive.
Jay

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with what Pull Ya said. I think what you wash your vehicle with and how often is more of a determining factor of how long stuff will last. On my last truck I had about 2 coats of the blackfire and a coat of the pennicle wax. It stayed out in the elements 24/7 including the parking lot of a chemical plant. Due to schedule and the timeliness of the rain I only washed my truck about 3 times last year. it was an 08. I washed and put a light polish and a coat of the blackfire all finish and it looked better than the shape I got my new truck in 3 days later.

Carwash soap does more harm than good. Prime example is my wifes ride. I use the same stuff on hers. It has about half the life span of mine. I will do a full detail about every 6 months. In between I would use a good wax like the pennical or collinite just to keep the shine nice and deep. I don't think that there is any product out there that will look as good at 6m and 1year as it does when it is initially applied.

I have and use a good polymer sealant (blackfire all finish) a good wax (pennical souveran) and a detailing spray(blackfire as well don't remember what it is called.) to remove the waterspots after I wash and dry and give it a nice pop. If you stick with those three types and get a good named brand you really cannot go wrong. I've used them all from meguires, Zaino, Klasse, 3m, Pennical, and a brand used specifically by body shops.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only hand wash it at home. I'm sure eventually at some point during the winter when I'm in a not care mood and just wanna get the crap off it I might get a car wash, but trying to stick to hand wash only.

So far the only thing its been washed with is Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. Probably once every 2 weeks or so.

I was thinking about the Collinite 845 over it or Chemicals Guys ***. Both around same price. Sounds like Collinite is tougher, and CG *** is more of a wax whereas Collinite is kind of a sealant wax.

I'm going to clay it before I seal. Doesn't feel smooth right now, has a little over spray from plastidipping my emblems that I want to get off. Being that I used Meguiars black paste probably 3 months ago I'd assume most of the wax is off of it. But as far as using dish soap to make sure all the wax is off do I just wash it like normal but use dish soap instead of car wash?

Looking forward to getting some smoothness for keeping it clean. I have an empty lot across from my house and I'm assuming its from the wind but its the dustiest house. So I wash and a day later already have a dust film

Last edited:

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are going to clay it again I would clay and use something like the Meguires deep crystal paint cleaner(not the wax combo) You should be able to find it at autozone or other local parts places. It like a very fine polish that removes very fine swirl marks and light imperfections. I used it to remove transferred paint from door dings without having to break out a true polish. Clay and use the meguires the paint will be squeeky clean.

OP
OP
B

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are going to clay it again I would clay and use something like the Meguires deep crystal paint cleaner(not the wax combo) You should be able to find it at autozone or other local parts places. It like a very fine polish that removes very fine swirl marks and light imperfections. I used it to remove transferred paint from door dings without having to break out a true polish. Clay and use the meguires the paint will be squeeky clean.

I think I still have some Mothers spray that came with my clay kit. But if not I'll grab that. Just ordered the Wolfgang 3.0 and Chemical Guys ***. I'll post pics when done. Should be here by Friday.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope things go well. Please post some pictures when your done.
Jay

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963