36 HOURS of rookie detailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
before i start i wanna clarify i have literally never once held a polisher/buffer or used a single compound or polish or ANYTHING outside of cheap carwash soap and a cheap napa spray wax maybe 3 times so i know you detailing pros out there coulda got better results in less time but im real happy and proud of my work lol. so... my truck is 10 years old now, ive owned him since new and have neglected the paint close to as much as you can. also about 7 years of oversized M/T's that stick out with no flares have done a number on the paint. After seeing lots of you guys in this section have amazing looking paint and talking with my detailer friend i went all in and bought myself a PC, and a whole lot of moneys worth of chemical guys products lol. i spent 36 hours on this straight only breaks were to eat and sleep. i wish i had some good before pics of the paint but i didnt think to take any other then the close up swirls ill post here.
i am SUPER happy with how it turned out and my paint didnt shine half this much even when i bought it new lol. unfortunately i dont have the weather to get any great pictures nut i managed to get a few so here they are

Attachments

• swirls.jpg
    swirls.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 88
  • swirls2.jpg
    swirls2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 89
  • corrected.jpg
    corrected.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 86
  • shine.jpg
    shine.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 84
  • shine1.jpg
    shine1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the best pics i could get on this cold foggy morning

Attachments

• shine2.jpg
    shine2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 82
  • lot reflection.jpg
    lot reflection.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 81
  • lot reflection2.jpg
    lot reflection2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 85
  • lot reflection3.jpg
    lot reflection3.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 84

tdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice work man! Looks great! Detailing gets addicting ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice work man! Looks great! Detailing gets addicting ...

Thank you! o yeah i can definitely say this is a new addiction lol

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
You did an excellent job!

akennedyusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn looks brand new! Good job!

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, really appreciate the positive feedback! i poured my little heart out into this project lol

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great!!!! Can you tell us a little about the process you used--we may be able to give you a couple of hints to make it a little easier next time. Your finished product looks great and the scratches seem to be gone so your correction evidently went well. Do you generally park inside or outside and what type of weather do you generally have?
Jay

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great!!!! Can you tell us a little about the process you used--we may be able to give you a couple of hints to make it a little easier next time. Your finished product looks great and the scratches seem to be gone so your correction evidently went well. Do you generally park inside or outside and what type of weather do you generally have?
Jay

I would love any tips for sure as im quickly falling deep down the detailing rabbit hole and loving it lol. so...
step 1: foam cannon and hand wash using Mr pink then dried
step 2: clay bar using mothers gold claybar kit (i can see i missed some stuff here on my hood particularly but didnt notice until after i polished -_-)
step 3: exact same as step #1.
step 4: buffed using my new PC and chem guys V36 with orange hex pad... this took me a while to get down the right amount of pressure to use. i did multiple passes with like zero results because of this. i had to pull out my food scale a few times to try and teach myself 5lbs lol which i read online is the right amount of pressure?
step 5: polish using PC and white hex pad with chem guys V38.
step 6: applied chem guys white light glaze by hand with MF applicator, waited 30 minutes then hand buffed off.
step 7: applied chem guys jetseal by hand same process as the glaze.
step 8: applied chem guys wheel coat max sealent to my rims using same method as glaze and seal...
i have butter wet wax to put over my jetseal but just didnt have time so soon as i get time i will apply the wax and then keep up on that for sure.

parking overnight is in my garage, but at work i park outside and the truck gets covered in gypsum (sheetrock dust) and i mean covered multiple times a week because of my work so idk how that will affect my sealant, any advice on that would be great!

weather is about 70% of the year rain (oregon) and average probably about 57 degrees or so? our winters can get kinda nasty, last year it sucked, ice everywhere and quite a bit of snow so the city poured gravel and salt on all the roads :flipthebird:. thats about all i can think of.... advice is definitely appreciated as i still have another vehicle to do lol

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
After seeing lots of you guys in this section have amazing looking paint and talking with my detailer friend i went all in and bought myself a PC, and a whole lot of moneys worth of chemical guys products lol.

sounds like a smart guy :naughty:

ive used tons of detailing products and always come back to chemical guys stuff, by far the best to work with :buffer:

when it gets a little cooler, my red truck will be on the polishing block

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like a smart guy :naughty:

ive used tons of detailing products and always come back to chemical guys stuff, by far the best to work with :buffer:

when it gets a little cooler, my red truck will be on the polishing block

lol! Yeah so far i have yet to stump him :crazy: someday maybe :roflsquared:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
lol! Yeah so far i have yet to stump him :crazy: someday maybe :roflsquared:

i will be so proud if you manage to stump him lol, it means you paid close attention to instruction and improved upon it :happy107:

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i will be so proud if you manage to stump him lol, it means you paid close attention to instruction and improved upon it :happy107:

i accept this challenge and will be asking you even more questions now lol!

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
i accept this challenge and will be asking you even more questions now lol!

bring em on, i told you im getting my white 3rd gen fix through your truck, at least until i redo my 3/4 ton, then it will be a white truck competition :crazy:

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
bring em on, i told you im getting my white 3rd gen fix through your truck, at least until i redo my 3/4 ton, then it will be a white truck competition :crazy:

o dang i better step my game up quickly! lol, at least until then you already know youll see my truck pretty often :roflsquared:

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
o dang i better step my game up quickly! lol, at least until then you already know youll see my truck pretty often :roflsquared:

now that you spent that much time getting your truck to look this good, the detailing bug will bite and you will forever be chasing more shine for it, so you are very welcome!

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
now that you spent that much time getting your truck to look this good, the detailing bug will bite and you will forever be chasing more shine for it, so you are very welcome!

o man serious though. im already looking at more products :roflsquared: and planning for before summer how i can make it even better lol pretty excited to hit the 4runner also.... though she needs some serious attention as you know :buffer: