36 HOURS of rookie detailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
o man serious though. im already looking at more products :roflsquared: and planning for before summer how i can make it even better lol pretty excited to hit the 4runner also.... though she needs some serious attention as you know :buffer:

soon you will have a rack in your garage with $4k worth of detailing products and a pissed off wife too

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds like a smart guy :naughty:

ive used tons of detailing products and always come back to chemical guys stuff, by far the best to work with :buffer:

when it gets a little cooler, my red truck will be on the polishing block

I just used Optimum HyperPolish for the first time. VERY impressive product....could work it back and forth for a very long time and zero dust. Got swirl marks out quickly with a white polishing pad and then did a quick pass with little to no pressure and it finished off perfectly.

Since we always like to buy new stuff anyway, give it a try :)

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I just used Optimum HyperPolish for the first time. VERY impressive product....could work it back and forth for a very long time and zero dust. Got swirl marks out quickly with a white polishing pad and then did a quick pass with little to no pressure and it finished off perfectly.

Since we always like to buy new stuff anyway, give it a try :)

i will do just that, i actually joined a group and i get a box of detailing samples every month of various brands :buffer:

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im hoping once i finish my 4runner AKA "her baby" lol that will keep her from slitting my throat on the next purchase :roflsquared:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im out--looks like you got a couple of "experts" giving you plenty of information. Sometimes to much info can be confusing, especially when there are so many product choices. Good luck
Jay

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice Job!!! Careful detailing can be very addictive! I got a cart full of products like adams, chemical guys, McKees 37, meguiars, HD, etc...also love my Flex orbital.

its a lot of work the results make it worth! your truck looks amazing

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice Job!!! Careful detailing can be very addictive! I got a cart full of products like adams, chemical guys, McKees 37, meguiars, HD, etc...also love my Flex orbital.

its a lot of work the results make it worth! your truck looks amazing
Thanks brotha! Will be sounding amazing here shortly also [emoji41]. O I'm basically full fledged addicted already lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks brotha! Will be sounding amazing here shortly also [emoji41]. O I'm basically full fledged addicted already lol

Oh hell yeah you will. Can't wait to hear some videos when you pull the trigger and get it all installed. It's going to sound as good as it looks!!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was in the garage unloading groceries out the yota, saw this reflection and instantly dropped everything to whip my phone out and take some pics lol. I know it's a baby reflection compared to most on here but it's more then enough to make me proud of my first work! Since this thread I've got a ton more products [emoji23] done more studying and come pre-summer I'm going for more shine and more mirror lol addicted now79269c3faeddac451bf7e8e250b428d9.jpg8a09b2051376a8bc12b6479e84ef695d.jpg

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Was in the garage unloading groceries out the yota, saw this reflection and instantly dropped everything to whip my phone out and take some pics lol. I know it's a baby reflection compared to most on here but it's more then enough to make me proud of my first work! Since this thread I've got a ton more products [emoji23] done more studying and come pre-summer I'm going for more shine and more mirror lol addicted now79269c3faeddac451bf7e8e250b428d9.jpg8a09b2051376a8bc12b6479e84ef695d.jpg

with the way you are buying stuff, you are starting to be like me, im gona have to go shopping for more to keep you from catching up :happy107:

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
with the way you are buying stuff, you are starting to be like me, im gona have to go shopping for more to keep you from catching up :happy107:

when my garage shelfs grow up they wanna look like yours :roflsquared: :favorites13:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a disease!

I have so much detailing stuff its crazy, but then I got into OptiCoat/GlossCoat, so all I really need is a few polishing pads, IPA and sprayers and the OptiCoat/GlossCoat and applicator.

My RAM is white, which has taught me how much of a PITA it is to "catch" all the high spots in the coating before they set. Right when I think I got them all, just the right angle of light at night shows I missed a few. Luckily, the truck is white, so its hard (almost impossible) to tell during the day.

Optimum HyperPolish-ed the whole truck, removed the few swirl marks that I could see (again, PITA to find on white) then GlossCoat-ed the whole truck. Came out nice except for the high spots that I had to go back and knock down.

Interior wise Ive settled on Ultima interior shampoo gel followed by Ultima Interior Guard Plus for hard plastics and vinyl, and 303 cleaner and protectant for carpets and upholstery.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a disease!

I have so much detailing stuff its crazy, but then I got into OptiCoat/GlossCoat, so all I really need is a few polishing pads, IPA and sprayers and the OptiCoat/GlossCoat and applicator.

My RAM is white, which has taught me how much of a PITA it is to "catch" all the high spots in the coating before they set. Right when I think I got them all, just the right angle of light at night shows I missed a few. Luckily, the truck is white, so its hard (almost impossible) to tell during the day.

Optimum HyperPolish-ed the whole truck, removed the few swirl marks that I could see (again, PITA to find on white) then GlossCoat-ed the whole truck. Came out nice except for the high spots that I had to go back and knock down.

Interior wise Ive settled on Ultima interior shampoo gel followed by Ultima Interior Guard Plus for hard plastics and vinyl, and 303 cleaner and protectant for carpets and upholstery.

Yah this was literally my very first time using a detail product of any kind really. i ended up with FOUR lamps taken out of the house (woman was getting pissed finding more lamps missing lol) so i could try and see everything on the paint and i still missed stuff :3681700201_eef6d1e2
but good enough to look good until my next go before summer lol

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, try some of those dual-head halogen worklamps. They get hot as all get out, but they are quite good at helping to find swirls.

Sodium halide lights work well too, apparently. Found that out the hard way when I drove my truck to the parking garage at work.

OP
OP
ramportin1

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, try some of those dual-head halogen worklamps. They get hot as all get out, but they are quite good at helping to find swirls.

Sodium halide lights work well too, apparently. Found that out the hard way when I drove my truck to the parking garage at work.

LOL! o man thats not funny when it happens but damn funny to read! The dual head halogen worklamps are actually one of my next purchases. ive wanted some in my paint booth aka shed :roflsquared: and now that i have another need for em im going to grab probably two of them

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BTW, this is why everyone should decline the "free car wash with every service!" at your dealer, especially if you have a dark vehicle:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Explici.../photos/?tab=album&album_id=10152137312332670

That was my pristine G37 when the dealer decided to ignore me telling them and my computer file saying "DO NOT WASH".

I eventually got them to pay for correction and re-application of OptiCoat. And now I print out signs and hang them from every window and the steering wheel...."DO NOT WASH".

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I have a LED one from lowes that i love

8a41e37d2971b707d8c14b7c17709f91.jpg

Tons of light and will show you all the swirls you do or do not have, and its extremely light and puts out no heat

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
BTW, this is why everyone should decline the "free car wash with every service!" at your dealer, especially if you have a dark vehicle:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Explici.../photos/?tab=album&album_id=10152137312332670

That was my pristine G37 when the dealer decided to ignore me telling them and my computer file saying "DO NOT WASH".

I eventually got them to pay for correction and re-application of OptiCoat. And now I print out signs and hang them from every window and the steering wheel...."DO NOT WASH".

yeah when i bought my new black edition ram they told me "we will take it back and have them wash and clean it up while you do the paper work" i told them that if they do that i will cancel the check for the truck and they can keep it :roflsquared: