Advice needed, Black Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
First black vehicle, I know hard to keep clean. Pain in my ass. But so beautiful when clean.

Washed it over the weekend and have a lot of water marks on it. What's the best way to go about getting those off? I've bought harbor freight daul action polisher, but haven't used it yet. I was a bit overwhelmed on what pad to get to do what.

OP
OP
I

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess while I'm asking questions, if I wanted to put sealant/wax on with my polisher. Do I still take it off byhand and a microfiber or is there a pad to use to take it off as well?

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
you can use a buffer to take it off, after a good wax/seal you should be able to use a quick detailer to clean up spots

Hrolfr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once you get those spots off look into the Garry Dean Wash Method. His products are great too. 2 big bonuses with the method, 1 you do a panel or two at a time then dry so water spots don't have a chance to form 2 you never use the same wash media twice so you never re-introduce dirt and the chance for swirls on your black truck.

IMO use the buffer to apply and a good high GSM Korean Microfiber to remove. If you have a quality wax it should buff off easily by hand if you follow the directions.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It all depends on how hard the water that made the water spots is. Water spots can etch pretty quickly so you don't want to leave them on for too long, especially while out in the sun.

First thing I would do is to wash again, but using a rinseless wash like Optimum Wash and wax. If this doesn't remove the spots, then you can try distilled white vinegar if it's spotty, or a sealant that has cleaners in it like Duragloss 105 or 501, or Klasse AIO (by hand or machine, up to you). If this still doesn't work then the water spots have etched into the clear and you'll have to polish them out and hoepfully not compound them out. The pads to use and which compound and polish to use all depends, they work in certain ways together along with your polisher and your personal skill level.

Personally, whether I apply wax or sealant by hand or by machine, I prefer to always remove it by hand with a plush Microfiber towel.

Cobayashi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i would say vinegar and water in a spray bottle after cleaning in a sheltered area, it is a natural cleaner. i would suggest maybe vinegar with a clay bar, i don't know how well with a towel will work you might marr the paint. i have used to clean glass and i had to get a little aggressive with it using a towel.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Black is such a pain. I've been trying all different things to get my black car looking right. It will swirl easily if you don't take care in washing the vehicle. If a quick detailer doesn't take the water spots off, look into a clay bar kit. If that doesn't work, I would look into a cutting pad of some sort. I used a harbor freight DA on my car and I'm happy with the results.

8PSY36r.png

As far as sealing. I use Colinite 845 with a LCC black pad. I would recommend it, hands down.

NZSxZab.png

OP
OP
I

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for all the advice, i got some work ahead of me :)

Copperhead7310

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Zaino is incredible stuff. The more work you want to do the better the paint will look. Especially black.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone use the meguiar's black wax? I have always had a white truck. Just bought a black 2013.

It's not to bad. I use it on my wife's GMC to cover some scratches on her back door. That I couldn't get buffed out. It just doesn't hold up very well.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket