Advice please for detailing my black Ram focused on removing imperfections

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will preface by saying my prior car, a Chrysler 300 (silver) was hand detailed for all 9+ years I owned it. The handful of times it went through a car wash it was touchless, and a few of those were done in a self service bay.

The black obviously shows imperfections, and never having black before, it "bugs" me. The truck was used so I knew it would come with blemishes. The scratches are, well, scratches. But it's the swirl marks that I would like to see limited or removed. My twice a year detailing with my 300 (all by hand) consisted of:
Bug & Tar Remover
Wash
Clay Bar
Polish
Wax
Trim Detail
I used Mequiars products as I just like how they work. Definitely am a fan of the Tech 2.0 wax. This is what I have done for decades with my previous cars.

I've done a bit of research, and I think I will invest in a PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher. I will get a 5" backing pad, but I'm a tad confused as to the best polishing pads to get. I really didn't understand about how pads cut into the finish, and different pads had different purposes. I don't need the heavy duty pads as the finish isn't old and oxidized. The main purpose for the Porter-Cable is to remove the swirl marks to get a glassier finish. A few weeks ago by hand I did the first mini-detai on my Ram. I used Scratch-X, Swirl Remover, and Tech 2.0 wax, but it really didn't do much for the imperfections.

Based on my thoughts above, how would you approach me setting myself up for the first real detailing of the truck which I will do end of summer. I do believe I "need" the Porter Cable as just by hand as I have always done before won't cut it with black. Silver was so much easier.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
The main thing I would suggest to you is to be at peace with the fact that black is never going to look perfect unless you just finished detailing and paint correcting it. Even after paint corrrecting, black will show dust, pollen, dirt, salt, etc the second you drive a couple miles. It's just the nature of the beast with that color.

You can still keep it up and make it look great. Black is a sweet color to see when it's clean. But if you worry about it too much youll drive yourself crazy with it.

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The main thing I would suggest to you is to be at peace with the fact that black is never going to look perfect unless you just finished detailing and paint correcting it. Even after paint corrrecting, black will show dust, pollen, dirt, salt, etc the second you drive a couple miles. It's just the nature of the beast with that color.

You can still keep it up and make it look great. Black is a sweet color to see when it's clean. But if you worry about it too much youll drive yourself crazy with it.

I realize that. I just want to try and remove the swirl marks that exist from when I got it a couple of months ago. Dirt/dust/pollen 10 minutes after washing it I accept, but am hoping if I do one solid detail with the Porter cable and the proper pads that at least I can make the finish look more glass like with less swirls with the scratches still there.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a thorough detail a.couple weeks ago: wash, clay bar, compound wax, polish, detail wax, etc... Once done my swirls were gone. However, it has been raining just about every day since then and haven't been able to do the normal clean to see if those swirls are really gone. I'll provide an update if it will stop raining and I get a chance to clean it to confirm.

By the way, I purchased a 6" Chicago Electric polisher from Harbor Freight for 50 bucks. I am not one to usually recommend or buy power tools from that retailer, but figured it wont be used more than 6 times a year, so it should be fine. It definitely worked well and I didn't notice any difference compared to my high end sanders/polishers...

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did a thorough detail a.couple weeks ago: wash, clay bar, compound wax, polish, detail wax, etc... Once done my swirls were gone. However, it has been raining just about every day since then and haven't been able to do the normal clean to see if those swirls are really gone. I'll provide an update if it will stop raining and I get a chance to clean it to confirm.

By the way, I purchased a 6" Chicago Electric polisher from Harbor Freight for 50 bucks. I am not one to usually recommend or buy power tools from that retailer, but figured it wont be used more than 6 times a year, so it should be fine. It definitely worked well and I didn't notice any difference compared to my high end sanders/polishers...

I am assuming then that your detailing did incorporate the use of a polisher. That is something I have never used before. I have always been 100% by hand.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
You'll definitely want to use an orbiting polisher machine for the best result. Doing it by hand would be a lot of work and the result wouldnt be as good.

Look into some compounds for paint correction and always start with the least abrasive. Odds are it will take less than you'd think to get the swirls and stuff out of the paint.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am assuming then that your detailing did incorporate the use of a polisher. That is something I have never used before. I have always been 100% by hand.

Yes, I used the new polisher I bought. I have always done by hand or with the cheap $30 orbital, never got rid of the swirls. Could never use my better sander/polishers on the truck since they are for building surfboards and are packed with dust. Not letting those anywhere near my vehicles. Was glad to find the good deal on the Chicago Electric. If it doesn't take care of the swirls, at least it made the job easier!!!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^^^ I agree. Most scratches are the result of improper washing techniques.
Jay

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id grab a griots garage 6" over the porter cable. Its a good machine with amazing customer service. As mentioned, start with the least aggressive polish pad combo and work your way up. You could try a white pad with some meguiars m205 for a polish, or meguairs d151 for an AIO (all in one polish and protection).

OP
OP
metalmancpa

metalmancpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So much detailing information out there, and products to boot. After too much research, here's the direction I'm taking:

Griot's 6" Orbital Polisher
Griot's Black foam finishing pads
Griot's Red waxing pads

With that equipment, my first real detail will be (Meguiar's):
Gold Class Car Wash, and may use Dawn first as a wax remover first
Clay Bar
M205 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish (use Orbital)
M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant 2.0 (use Orbital)
Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Liquid Wax (use Orbital)*

*I was going to use the NXT 2.0 Tech Wax, but being it's a synthetic product and the fact I'll be polishing first, I believe the Carnauba is a better final step.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You may want to grab a more aggressive pad as well just in case. You would be fine topping with your nxt 2.0 if you like. Good luck and take your time.