Anyone else have badly faded (black to grey) plastic trim..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great report

DavidRam,
Looks like a good product. Thanks for the report and follow up that answers several questions!

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny you ask, I was just applying some more to the trim pieces around the windshield yesterday. :)

It has been a little over 3 months and it's definitely holding up VERY well. The bed rail caps still look like new. My truck sits out in the hot sun and salt water air almost everyday, so that is a rather harsh environment, too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it safe on paint? If I accidentally get some on while doing the antenna

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The only black plastic left on the blue truck is the bed rail caps, and they do need some TLC. I'll have to give this a try.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
I used Forever Black on my last truck, best stuff I ever used. I will defiantly be purchasing some when then time comes. Faded trim looks the worst on a black vehicle. I never had luck with Mothers Back to Black, it would make it look good until it got rained on a few times and I think it made the trim fade faster.

Last edited:

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well I hate to be a stick in the mud but! I tried the forever black on my rambox and it turned out great at first. In a couple days it just started flaking off. I prepped the plastic three days in a row to make sure the product would stick. Thought I did everything to a T! In a couple weeks and washes it was pretty much all gone. I went on a couple different sites about what others were using for faded plastic. Believe it or not a lot of people are using black liquid shoe polish. It looks just like the forever black and at first thought to myself it probably is? It has been 2 months since I have applied and it still looks great. It turned out just like the forever black did but sticks! Make sure you research this your self before taking my word for it. You will see it all over the Internet!

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I hate to be a stick in the mud but! I tried the forever black on my rambox and it turned out great at first. In a couple days it just started flaking off. I prepped the plastic three days in a row to make sure the product would stick. Thought I did everything to a T! In a couple weeks and washes it was pretty much all gone. I went on a couple different sites about what others were using for faded plastic. Believe it or not a lot of people are using black liquid shoe polish. It looks just like the forever black and at first thought to myself it probably is? It has been 2 months since I have applied and it still looks great. It turned out just like the forever black did but sticks! Make sure you research this your self before taking my word for it. You will see it all over the Internet!

Sorry it did not work for you... Mine is 4 months old, many car washes, sitting daily in the sun/ocean-salt-water air and it still looks the day I applied it.

The shoe polish sounds like an interesting ideas, too. Thanks for sharing that!

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
I use a product called "Trim Coat" on my daily driver Toyota Tacoma from a company called Shine Supply. I only use it on some of the smaller trim pieces, like on the rear bumper and the factory bed rails . Its basically a black dye, it can be a little messy if not properly used, but it DOES WORK GREAT! It comes in either BLACK or GREY...and it lasts! It doesn't wash off at all, and rain doesn't affect it either. Granted I blue tape around the area i'm going to do to prevent any running or messes, but it it great stuff! Oh and wear disposable surgical gloves unless you like having grey or black hands!!! LOL

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I think for 12 bucks its worth a try for me. I hate having a black truck with grey trim even though my wheels are grey when clean.

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
UPDATE!!! I just did another coat of the black shoe polish on my Ram boxes. It held up about 1 year and 6 months from the first time I did it. It is almost 2 years since I first applied the first coat. There were a few light spots starting to show but for the most part every where else looks perfect. Since applying this new coat they now look brand new again. Pretty damn good for cheap shoe polish. This is all on my 1500.

My Ram boxes on my 2500 still look new since I bought it. They have not faded at all so I assume Ram used a different blend of material?
Just want to give you guys an update.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
UPDATE!!! I just did another coat of the black shoe polish on my Ram boxes. It held up about 1 year and 6 months from the first time I did it. It is almost 2 years since I first applied the first coat. There were a few light spots starting to show but for the most part every where else looks perfect. Since applying this new coat they now look brand new again. Pretty damn good for cheap shoe polish. This is all on my 1500.

My Ram boxes on my 2500 still look new since I bought it. They have not faded at all so I assume Ram used a different blend of material?
Just want to give you guys an update.

So just any old liquid shoe polish? I too have used the Forever Black and it has lasted well over a year. Did you use it on other trim or rubber pieces also?

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used this duplicolor clearcoat on my 2007 and it was good as new. Sold the truck a year after and it held perfectly. If your fade is extremely bad, you can buy it in black, then maybe a good idea to spray the clear coat on. Like 7 bucks a can, I think autozone stocks it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170706_155715.jpg
    IMG_20170706_155715.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 33

mills3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Very good thread. I'll have to keep this in mind for my truck. My door handles are black and are starting to get a little faded. I use Adam's VRT to keep them looking half decent, but perhaps it's time to look into the dye to make them look like new again!

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried this stuff today on my bed rails, door handles and fender flares. The fender flares came out streaky. The bed rails and door handles soaked it up fine and look good. Maybe I'll try another coat tomorrow.

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried this stuff today on my bed rails, door handles and fender flares. The fender flares came out streaky. The bed rails and door handles soaked it up fine and look good. Maybe I'll try another coat tomorrow.

What was it that you used?