anyone ever used a rag with clay bar on it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
A guy at work was tell me about a rag that had clay on one side he got from a local detailing supplier. Said it was a lot easier than using a clay bar. I looked at the 2 cloth vendors but didnt see any.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Yeah I've seen that and a blue one from the UK. Not sure what my buddy got. He seemed to like and and used it on his new 2500.... And he's picky as hell. Just that and a spray wax

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the benefits of the clay bar is that after each section you knead it and hide many of the contaminants you just pulled out of the paint within the bar.
If you had a rag with a similar surface, there would be no way of "hiding" the contaminants and you'd be rubbing them all over the rest of the truck.
Clay is cheap, especially if you pick up a jar (just clay) from an autobody supplies store and split it with a buddy, and use car wash soap and water as lube instead of quick detailer.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
^^That was my first thought as well, how can you envelop the contaminants and prevent them from marring the surface afterwards. I suppose if you were only doing a limited area the rag one would work but I'm still not seeing the benefit over standard clay.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
As usual your guys make sense... That's why I ask

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read some of the reviews on the amazon link and guys were saying it didn't get contaminated like clay bar. They could just rinse it off and keep using it without worrying about dropping it either. I've never used it, but it must work similar to clay, but be somehow different then an actual lump of clay.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id imagine it's not meant for a full blown detail but just a quick one in between using a real clay bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
1 plus he said was if he did drop it you could rinse off what stuck to it.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I've been reading more into it and it's not a rag with clay on it, it's actually a polymerized rubber compound which would change the way it's used considerably from my initial thoughts. It's interesting and of the reviews I've read on the interwebs I have only seen a handful of negative ones. Might be something to check out in the spring, if it mars the finish that's what the Cyclo I bought is for.

OP
OP
cableguy_hd

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
well I will say his truck looked and felt nice.... of course its newer than mine. May just get one with Christmas money and see how it does.

parttimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have two of these, fine grade and medium grade. I use them for all my one step detail jobs. After washing, use a good lube and if you are worried about contaminants all you need t o do is dunk the towel in a bucket of soapy water. If you drop it, dunk it in soapy water. I can "clay an entire vehicle, either a full size truck, suv or car in about 20 minutes.

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a fan of the Arnold Speedy Prep Towel. I confirm the above post, if you drop the towel it's a simple wash and rinse. I can clay a vehicle in less than half the time compared to using a regular clay bar. Easy to use and does a great job of removing embedded contaminates. I prefer the ' fine ' grade towel.
As for contaminates remaining embedded in the towel and scratching the paint, never happened in my experience. I've probably done 40-50 vehicles using a Speedy Prep Towel w/o issue. To clean, rinse in bucket of water or hose off, that easy

Note, it is imperative that these towels be broken in prior to usage especially when using on soft clear coats. I highly recommend that you do not break it in on good glass as suggested in the instructions as it may potentially scratch the surface. I've seen first hand !
Brand new, I use an old piece of a glass table top that I test on before using on good glass. Once broken in, these towels are the bomb.

Problem is - I can't keep them, friends do not return them.... 3 gone now

Attached is a link with pics I posted of the damage that one of these towels can do if not broken in. However, don't let this scare you from purchasing one as this falls under user error. The scratches done by the towel in the pics is of door pillars on a Lexus, whereas the paint is super soft. A fly could land on the black door pillars and leave landing marks. Dodge clear coats fall in the med-hard/hard range in regards to hardness

Black Pillar Between Doors - Club Lexus Forums

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is from Autogeek:

Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel – Fine Grade

Better known as the “clay towel”

The Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel replaces the traditional clay bar by providing a more efficient, cost effective way of removing above-surface bonded contaminants from your vehicle’s finish. Manufactured with an advanced rubber polymer coating on one side, the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel makes achieving smooth, contaminant-free paint easier than ever. Remove paint over spray, bugs, tar, rail dust and industrial fall out with virtually no effort.

The Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel arguably makes the traditional clay bar obsolete. A traditional clay bar is only good for 5 to 10 cars. The Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel, thanks to its unique construction and advanced rubber polymer face, can be used up to 80 times! If you’re a professional detailer or car care enthusiast, the Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel is one of the best investments you can make!

It’s imperative that you remove above-surface contaminants before you polish or wax. Above-surface contaminants include paint overspray, bugs, tar, rail dust, and industrial fall out. By removing said contaminants, you create a smooth foundation that will allow a wax, sealant or coating to form a much greater bond. The cleaner the surface, the longer your wax, sealant or coating will last. The Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel removes bonded contaminants with virtually no effort.

The Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel is incredibly easy to use. Simply fold it in half (or into fours) and, using an approved lubricant like Nanoskin GLIDE, simply mist the surface and gently rub the towel back and forth and then side to side. Within seconds the paint will be silky-smooth and ready for waxing!

The fine grade Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel is ideal for vehicles that are new or well-maintained. The high-tech rubber polymerized coating will safely remove above-surface contaminants without scratching or dulling the finish.

12 x 12 inches

I have been using one of these for about the last year. I like it better than clay, it's easier, faster, and it lasts a lot longer. If you drop it all you have to do is rinse it out, whereas clay, you would have to throw the clay away. It's a little pricey but if you use it often I think that it will pay for itself.
Jay