Automatic car wash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there anyway, or products I can use that would make it safer to use an automatic car wash? Every time I go to work my truck gets filthy, parked for a day and a half at a rail yard. There is absolutely no way I can keep up with it hand washing. I only use the touch free type, and I heard even those kinds can leave swirls and of course strip the wax.

Any suggestions?

It's a 2014 Black Ram Express, I know, I know.....black is impossible to keep clean.

Thanks

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Touch free are a lot better. It's the types of soap they use that can strip the wax although it might not do as much damage if you have used a good brand of sealant. Some sealants almost need to be polished with a buffer to remove them. A good polish is a lot better than just wax. Your right about one thing------Black is a ***** to keep clean!!!!! LOL
Jay

OP
OP
Z

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the details spray contain some sort of protectant? Also I normally just do the cheap wash only ,none of the super duper special rain protection foam stuff, mostly cause it seems to leave a film on the glass...do you think it's better to do the best wash or just the basic.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I normally get the more expensive 1 but that's mostly for the undercarriage spray.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
There's a couple car washes by the house, the touchless one doesn't have the undercarriage spray so I've used the brush-type one about 4 times, and so far haven't seen any scratches or swirls. Maybe I've been lucky so far. It's a relatively new one, and I think the brushes are silicone, or at least some sort of rubber. Seems to do a good job... :shrug:

SiriusBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am using a "touchless" Laser wash. It has been thru the brushes twice at the dealership and once at a local. The swirl marks alone keep me at the touchless. Waiting to have it fully detailed and then its touchless once a week until the next detail. (Black Express 2014 here as well)

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Stick with the touchless washes, they are the lesser of two evils.

They use very strong soaps, heavy in detergents, and often VERY hot water, both of which are hard on the lifespan on your sealant/wax protection.

That being said, applying some wax or sealant a little more often is much less labor intensive than polishing all the time. ;)

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Stick with the touchless washes, they are the lesser of two evils.

They use very strong soaps, heavy in detergents, and often VERY hot water, both of which are hard on the lifespan on your sealant/wax protection.

That being said, applying some wax or sealant a little more often is much less labor intensive than polishing all the time. ;)

Eek, makes it sound like I'm playing with fire by letting those crazy spinning brushes abuse my truck.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Eek, makes it sound like I'm playing with fire by letting those crazy spinning brushes abuse my truck.

You are indeed. Those are swirl-o-matics!

Go take a close up picture of your paint in bright sunlight, or inside with the flash on if you want to really be horrified!

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
You are indeed. Those are swirl-o-matics!

Go take a close up picture of your paint in bright sunlight, or inside with the flash on if you want to really be horrified!

At 5,400 miles I am not ready to be horrified!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everytime you touch your vehicles finish you are going to leave some sort of mark. Some are a lot more noticeable than others but none the less you are going to leave a mark(scratch). The darker the color the more noticeable it is going to be. Just imagine what those swirling brushes that are doing to the finish. As Nick said, touchless is the best of 2 evils. There are lots of products that can help, detailer spray, microfiber towels, spray wax, etc etc etc. IMHO using a rotating brush against your paint is not one of them----
Jay

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Dang, it's fun to watch it too. Guess I need to teach the kids how to hand wash it for me then. Probably keep on whirly brushing my old van though.

soldiercowboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l 4x4 Tradesman crew cab
I use the rotating brushes and rubber silicone strips I have never seen any marks of any kind yet I use the same place for my new truck and my old truck same results but I get the ultimate package was tricolor foam wheel cleaner etc from the express car wash. I just do not have time to hand wash it and for $16 I have it done and get a free plain wash for free with unlimited vacuum use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
Im pretty sure Satan invented those rotating brushes in the automatic washes and those "horsehair" foam brushes you see at self wash coin-op car washes...LOL

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
around here they reuse the water and while it's filtered very fine bits of sand will still get through. i do use them every so often just for the undercarriage spray which is pretty much required with all the salt i gather during winter

biggest issue i have with them is i usually end up with dirt streaks coming from under plastic parts and makes it look worse then before the wash