Best water for Spot-free wash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
I'm looking for some information on the best type of water filtration systems to leave a spot-free air dry. Hard water plays a factor in leaving spots, but water softeners only neutralize hard water by adding "soft" stuff instead of actually removing the sediment. In the end, you can still get water spots because of the high count of sediments in the water. I would think that having a filter that removes all sediments (as close to distilled water as possible) would be best for car washing?

Can the experts confirm this theory? How bout some info on good filtration systems. I'd like to attach it inline with the 1/2" copper pipe just before in exits the house. Only the hose will use it

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
George used a pool filter I think, its something he posted on youtube awhile back.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use a filter setup I made from parts at home depot. I have incredibly hard water that will leave spots even if you dry it immediately in the shade during cool weather! I use a mechanical filter to remove solids. It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better!

I have quick connects on either end and I only use it when I wash the car, there's no sense in filtering water for the yard.

Also, technique has a lot to do with spots. Don't spray your truck with high pressure water for the final rinse. All those mist drops leave spots because they dry so fast. Use a low pressure and flood the surface so the water sheets off and takes all the minerals with it.

[yt]LJasKbgGfWw[/yt]

OP
OP
AF_Hemi

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
can you get me more info on that George? we have ridiculously hard water here also. I dont need it to be PERFECT because of the other techniques/products i'll be using from now on (thanks to Adams' Products and Eric), but I'd like to eliminate the vast majority of "spotting" so I can take my time when washing

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That look like a good kit right there aaron, If I had a black truck I would def get it

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is pretty much exactly what I am using except mine isn't see through. And I built it for half the price. Just go to home depot and look through the water filter stuff. You'll see the small canisters and the filters. Get the smallest micron filter you can. Don't worry about charcoal, this water isn't for drinking so who cares if it has a chlorine odor?

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn good topic, dark blue is almost as bad as black for spots and even if I run through the car wash there are still some spots. But that's only when it's too cold to hand wash, haven't found one yet that gets the wheel wells and i hate havin a nice clean truck with crap in the wheel wells

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
sweet i have a 200.00 gift card to home depot. i didnt kjnow what to spend it on, now i do

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The water at our shop is not even potable! Suprising, because we are in a really nice township. I have an in-line clear filter like the one listed. I got it at Lowes or Home Depot. I have to change the filter out every two months.

It did not solve the problem, the sediment will still get through that filter. I went and bought a CR Spotless unit from Costco. It totally changed the paint on our cars. Absolutely no spotting! Only downfall is the refill resin is expensive. Costco is the cheapest place to get a CR Spotless.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
no costcos in oklahoma dammit

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Water here is hard too. Leaves spots like crazy, usually I wash, dry, then quick detail to prevent it, but I need to buy a filter to make it faster. Wouldn't an inline hose filter (for an RV) work OK? I need something that's quick to connect/disconnect to a hose source that's not mine. :D

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I have never had water spots on my truck after I washed it.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
JJ i dont get them either...but if i actually use soap and water to wash i sham, and wipe clean with microfiber, but lately i been using waterless stuff....

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never had water spots on my truck after I washed it.

Must have soft water. I don't remember getting them as bad before I moved. Water must be different

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Must have soft water. I don't remember getting them as bad before I moved. Water must be different

:crazy: I don't use fukken water!

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They weren't too bad in Arizona, out here they are ridiculous.