Black tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Anyone have any tricks in keeping your tires black and not turning brown? I have always used bleach white and usually had good results but that was always on cars with smaller tires. Now that I have these bigger tires, the bleach white doesn't seem to work too well. I usually apply tire shine and that covers up the brown color but once that washes away, you see brown tire again and it's just ugly. Any tips?

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think that the best way to keep them black is to use a tire cleaner on them, then leave them alone.

If you really want to use a tire shine product on it, then use one that is water based because they don't tend to brown the tires.

There are also some new products on the market that are like paint coatings but for tires...they can usually give you a couple of months of dirt/water repellency.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a link to tire dressings.....there's a million products out there now....just try to stick to water based.
Tire Dressings, rubber protectants, tire shine

If you want to explore the coatings that are supposed to last a couple of months or so, here are a small sampling of some of them.
McKee's 37 Tire Coating, long lasting tire shine
BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant, plastic trim restorer, tire coating, long lasting tire shine
Forever Car Care - Products
TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat, tuf shine tire dressing, permanent tire shine, permanent tire sealant
Griots Garage Black Shine Tire & Trim Coating

OP
OP
C

Clancaster23

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Bighorn
Engine
So you think the tire shine is what turns them brown? Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to check them out.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use a cleaner with citrus in it just on the tire. The citrus will clean the tire very well just don't used it on your painted surfaces at it will remove the wax. Then use a good quality (water based) coating on it. Make sure the tire is dry before you apply the coating. And if you can let you truck sit for an hour or so after you apply it. Should not sling off then.

This has worked good for me over the years. Good luck.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adam's and McKee's make very good tire/rubber cleaners. My tires are noticeably cleaner after using one of them vs the all purpose cleaners I've used from Chemical Guys and Adam's

Midnite-CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
i tried Turtle Wax Jet Black on both my truck and the wife GTI. She had a membership at a carwash and would run her car through at least a couple of times a week all summer, and her tires are still black!

Its a bit of work applying them to larger truck tires, especially if they have aggressive sidewalls, but i've only applied it once this year and i'm still happy with them even with a fair amount of back road travel.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser

Midnite-CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Snapped a quick picture when I was swapping over to winter tires on the GTI. I used two coats of Turtle Wax Jet Black some time back in May. The car has been through dozens of car washes since and the tires still come out black when washed. (They haven't been cleaned for a couple of weeks now and are pretty dirty in the picture, but you can still tell how black they are compared to the winter rubber with nothing on them)