Black truck with clear coat scratches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So i bought a used 2014 ram that has several coat scratches. They are noticeable, but don't feel deep when you run your hand over them.
Will a good detail shop be able to buff these out? Is it worth trying to get them out myself before going to a detailer? If so, what product and application method would you suggest. Trying not to go as far as doing a DIY sand job.
Thanks for the advice.

Ram-engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I use nufinish after a good foam wash and clay bar. I also have a black ram that I try to keep clean.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't get them out by hand unfortunately. They will need to be compounded then polished out. If you don't want to deal with swirls popping up easily I'd recommend a ceramic coating but it's expensive. The other option is to have them apply a paint sealant, they last 6 months-8 months depending on how you treat the truck and weather. My truck was covered in swirl marks due to the previous owner taking it through car washes instead of properly washing it at home. Black is a job to maintain and keep clean. If you don't have experience with a polisher then I'd take it to a detailer for sure. My truck was $650 to have it washed, clayed, compounded, polished, paint sealant applied and waxed. The biggest thing after that is to wash it using the 3 bucket method and using good products to ensure you're not helping introduce more swirls or scratches.

PS pics would help...I'm going off assumption they are swirls or very minor scratches. It's impossible to tell what to expect without seeing what you're working with.

Last edited:

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, polishing isn't very hard. After I had it done the first time I bought a Flex DA polisher and did it myself. It's very time consuming, but cheaper than having a detailer doing it 2 times a year or once every year. It does require knowledge and skill, but it's not hard. I started a detailing business 6 months ago and realized there are a lot of uneducated Detailer's out there that charge a ton for crappy work. I have cleaned up cars that people paid a ton to have polished and found buffer trails everywhere. A good detailer will tell you they can remove 85-90% of swirls and scratches since getting 99% to perfect takes so much work you'd easily be paying a thousand dollars or more. So before you go to get the work done ask for pictures of prior work and references of the guys work and what expectations you should have for his prices.

TSINND

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 2500 6.7
I also have a 14 black in color and paint is crappy. I use a flex with adams and its better but still not perfect.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a 14 black in color and paint is crappy. I use a flex with adams and its better but still not perfect.

What pads are you using on the Flex when polishing?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Scratches can seldom be corrected by hand. You need a polisher. Most of the polishers are idiot proof if you follow the instructions and watch a few "U" tube presentations on a web site like autogeek. When you remove the scratches ALWAYS use the LEAST abrasive solution first, if it works, great, if not you can step down to the next abrasive product. It takes some time and yes it's a lot of work(the first time), but if you take proper care of the paint after you have removed the scratches you should be OK for awhile. Some scratches can be "filled" with some types of wax but it won't last and the scratches will reappear. Remember, every time you touch your truck with your hand, a dry towel, rub against it with your jeans, almost anything, you are going to leave some sort of a scratch. Some are a lot more noticeable than others. I never wipe a dry surface with a dry towel or microfiber--I always apply some sort of liquid either to the paint or to the towel. Most of your scratches will come from the wash process. Use the 2 bucket method and use good microfiber mitts and towels, as it will reduce your scratch problem. Black is so much fun to keep up with---LOL---but nothing looks better after a good polish and wax.
Jay

OP
OP
DailyRam

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks guys. I will try to get some pics tomorrow so you can see what I am working with.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As a general rule of thumb, if your finger nail catches on the scratch it most likely cant be buffed out. My 15 is black and came with a few scratches that I cant get out. I use 3m 3 step with the corresponding pad for each and this system works well at removing swirls and light scratch marks but anything deep you should leave to good body shop. No matter what you do remember that clear coat depth varies between manufacturers but all are very thin on modern cars and trucks and can easily be damaged no matter what machine you use including an orbital. Always, always, always let the machine do the work and keep it moving.

Also, you might try some of waxes out there that are formulated specifically for Black vehicles. This is really just a cover up but can give decent results.

Good luck.

12ValveBrandon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So yea don't try any of the "magic scratch remover" or anything that sold for do it at home people. Just pay a professional to cut buff and polish. It will most likely not make everything disappear but it will make an incredible difference both making scratches disappear and bringing the shine back to your paint. We have a guy in my home town that does this stuff out of his garage and puts out some really good work while still being cheap. But if you don't have a guy like that then you may have to pay some decent money for it. Unfortunately this process is pretty time consuming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a DA polisher
Upgrade the backing plate to a Lake County backing plate
Buy some Lake County pads
Meguairs M205 and 105
No possible way of doing damage
Teach yourself then upgrade to a Flex or Rupes