Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram General Forum > Detailing

Detailing

Black in winter

This is a discussion on Black in winter within the Detailing forums, part of the Dodge Ram General Forum category!
So winter is in full force here in Michigan, which means one thing...salt! Lots and lots of salt! My black ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chisox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2017, 07:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2016
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Default Black in winter
So winter is in full force here in Michigan, which means one thing...salt! Lots and lots of salt! My black truck looks like a salt lick everyday. I've been taking it to the quarter wash every couple of days, just to spray it off and give it a once over. Drying isn't a real option, since it will freeze up with in a few minutes. I feel forced to take it to a regular car wash every couple of weeks and run it down that tunnel of doom, just to make sure the underbelly gets a good rinse. Before winter hit, I made sure I detailed it, wash, sealer, wax, top layer of detail wax, door jams and all.

So I guess I'm asking, what do the serious detail guys recommend for the dead of winter time care? Best things to do to ensure come spring, that my truck has survived winter?

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
MaizeNBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by MaizeNBlue View Post
So winter is in full force here in Michigan, which means one thing...salt! Lots and lots of salt! My black truck looks like a salt lick everyday. I've been taking it to the quarter wash every couple of days, just to spray it off and give it a once over. Drying isn't a real option, since it will freeze up with in a few minutes. I feel forced to take it to a regular car wash every couple of weeks and run it down that tunnel of doom, just to make sure the underbelly gets a good rinse. Before winter hit, I made sure I detailed it, wash, sealer, wax, top layer of detail wax, door jams and all.

So I guess I'm asking, what do the serious detail guys recommend for the dead of winter time care? Best things to do to ensure come spring, that my truck has survived winter?
If you can wash your truck more than once a week in the winter, I recommend Optimum No Rinse or ONR. This product is quite versatile. Can be used as a waterless wash, clay lube, and detailer.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
bhonshell37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4
Sounds like your on the right track, I get in the habit or rinsing out the frame rails as well as spraying where the fender and fender liner meet with the high pressure hose. Anywhere salt and moisture can hide I try to get to. The exterior really isn't going to be worrisome with a good detail like that every season change, it's the undercarriage, frame rails and hidden places.
Andrew09HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Engine: 5.7
I bring my truck to work every Saturday and wash it, rain, shine or snow. I let is sit in the dock for almost 4 hours just to dry as much as possible. I am lucky to have access to the heated dock otherwise the salt would drive me crazy.

MaizeNBlue likes this.
Chisox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: 5.7
Originally Posted by Chisox View Post
I bring my truck to work every Saturday and wash it, rain, shine or snow. I let is sit in the dock for almost 4 hours just to dry as much as possible. I am lucky to have access to the heated dock otherwise the salt would drive me crazy.

Nice! That is very handy.
dkmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Engine: 5.7 Hemi
You could look into a coating to protect the paint. The down side is that they are pretty pricey. Other than that sounds like your on the right track with the sealant and wax. I understand your situation with the weather and the salt, but damn I hate those "tunnels of destruction". I guess sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Jay

Pull Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015 R/T
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
does not help your situation but I always store my toys for the winter. I told you I could not help you lol. Actually as long as you spray the underside at least once a week you should be fine, luckily were I live they do not use salt as it's to cold and salt would be a waste. Again even though salt is not used in my vicinity I take the car to an indoor facility and give the underside a good spray, if not busy I dry the car off and let the underside drip dry. The wash holds approximately 12 vehicles so if I go 1/2 hour before closing i's not busy and I can hand dry etc. Good luck fighting Mr Salt.

Where the $$$$ went, 14 MagnaFlow exhaust, 5% tint back 20% side windows, tonneau, sprayed box liner, Belltech 2/4, Spohn pan hard Hellwig sways x2 K&N drop in
THETANK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Engine: Hemi 5.7
It's the same regiment I used for 12 years on my 04 Dakota (minus the sealer) at the end there was just a little rust stating at the bottom of the doors. It was Gun Metal in color, and did have plenty of swirl marks. This being a black truck is a entire different world for me, and my ocd and black paint to don't play well together. I cringe the entire way down the tunnel of doom, and I always wave away the girls with the dirty towels, that come out to dry it (I still tip them a cpl of bucks for standing in the cold) .
MaizeNBlue is offline   Reply With Quote