Bug protection on painted bumpers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So it is lovebug season here in south louisiana and I'm wondering if there are any products out there that anyone has tried that will allow for easy removal. Since my truck is black and the temps today got a little above 100 degrees I spent the afternoon cleaning and putting a fresh coat of wax on the front end. If the bugs are left on too long their guts will etch the clear. Right now it has a fresh coat of Blackfire wet diamond

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go with the 3M clear film. Not only will it protect against bugs but Rock nicks as well.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ I agree with this, but if it isn't an option, I just make sure there is plenty of wax on the front painted surfaces and try to wash often. Also Poorboys make an excellent bug removal product. I've used it and it does a really good job. I carry some on vacation with me to help remove the bugs collected while on the road.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/poorboys-bug-squash.html#.WZpB1z6GOG4
Jay

Last edited:

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^^ I agree with this, but if it isn't an option, I just make sure there is plenty of wax on the front painted surfaces and try to wash often. Also Poorboys make an excellent bug removal product. I've used it and it does a really good job. I carry some on vacation with me to help remove the bugs collected while on the road.
Poorboy’s World Bug Squash
Jay

+1 on the Poor Boy's Bug Squash!

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We don't have the bug situation as bad as you but I was finding it was difficult getting the bugs off of the front of my Ram.

I put a coat of Collinite 845 on the front grill, headlights & bumper and they come off a lot easier now.

OP
OP
I

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 3m treatment is out. I'm not a fan and the pricing here the last time I checked is a little on the high side.

I have tried a ceramic paint coating kit. It wasn't Adams though. The truck came out great and the hydrophobic properties were great. It just didn't seem to last as long as I thought it would. I even through some pinnicle souveran on it to help and I still had a few bugs that stuck to the paint.

I repolished it yesterday and used the blackfire seal followed by the Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. Results were spectacular as expected. I put 2 coats on the front cap. I'll see how it does against the bugs.

I spent about 3 days researching thre new products out there and trying to figure out seals vs waxes vs ceramic coatings. The problem is I guess is they cannot reveal too much about their products without giving away trade secrets. Some try and scare the poop out of you so that you take it to a professional.

I'm a shady tree detailer. My stopping point is where wetsanding begins. Now if anyone could tell me how to get sealant/wax off of plastic that would be a god send. I have tried the mcckeys wax remover and it didn't work.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Polish and a buffer. Go to autopia forum and ask the exact same question and see what the pro's recommend.(No offense meant to Adams rep)
Jay

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Believe it or not..

Spray it with WD40 - wipe it off.. bug will wash right off when you wash it next time.

Thunderbucket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We don't have the bug situation as bad as you but I was finding it was difficult getting the bugs off of the front of my Ram.

I put a coat of Collinite 845 on the front grill, headlights & bumper and they come off a lot easier now.

I use collinite 476s, same thing I can use my fingers and swipe the bugs off.... I put on pretty thick coat

If you can't dodge it... RAM it!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You might be better off if you use a couple of thin coats instead of one heavy coat of Collinite.
Jay

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might be better off if you use a couple of thin coats instead of one heavy coat of Collinite.
Jay

True. There isn't really such a thing as a thick coat of wax, anyways ;) Only a certain amount will actually bond to the paint, the rest gets buffed off.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always found that the thicker you put it on the harder it is to get off once it flashes. I think most manufactures recommend a very very light coat--at least with the products I use. Besides it allows me to spend more time in my "safe place"---the garage :naughty::naughty:
Jay

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I always found that the thicker you put it on the harder it is to get off once it flashes. I think most manufactures recommend a very very light coat--at least with the products I use. Besides it allows me to spend more time in my "safe place"---the garage :naughty::naughty:
Jay

It's like drywall mud.....it's all fun and games until you've got a foot of drywall dust in your house from going ape ***** with the mud.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's like drywall mud.....it's all fun and games until you've got a foot of drywall dust in your house from going ape ***** with the mud.

Being in the drywall biz this was hillarious lol:happy107:

Midnite-CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I don't have the love bug problem here, but I use Rejex on both my truck front and the front of my trailer.

Everything I read when researching it, it was one of the top choices for RVers in areas where love bugs are a problem. Works well, majority of bugs wash right off with a pressure washer and no scrubbing, a little elbow grease gets the rest.

Also use it on my rims as well, makes brake dust come right off.

OP
OP
I

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to loon into the Rejex after reading the reviews. I put another coat of Blackfire's all in one and sealer and I am/was good to go. Appreciate all of the responses!

TorqueMonster 3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins / Aisin 6 Speed
I know this is only my second post " Don't fry me" LOL But I can tell you from years of experience and being VERY OCD about our rides that the 3M Film although it is a little spendy will save you big bucks and work in the future. I have it on 75 % of our GTS and its on everything facing forward and rocker panels of the wife's SRT JGC. The JGC is a 2007 and the front of it looks Brand new still. Now remember that you do need to remove and replace it about every 3-4 years. IMO its deff been worth the $

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree. I don't have my RAM done yet (will be done next week if time allows) but I had my Charger don't and it was worth every penny I live in NW Florida so I have to deal with the dreaded love bug season,the clear bra makes it way easier to clean the front end and the extra protection from rockchips is a extra bonus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45