Ceramic Coating. $$$$$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXHeat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone here had ceramic coating done to their truck? There's a local detailing shop that I'd seen on Facebook that does full details, including ceramic coating. I noticed they don't typically list their prices, so I messaged them to see how much. $1,700 for ceramic coating on a full sized truck, which I assume doesn't include paint correction first. I see why they don't list pricing! So anyone who's had it done, was it worth the money? I don't think I'll be doing it, regular old waxing will have to do for me. Too rich for my blood.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They do it in my area. 1200 for paint correction with ceramic coating. Im sure its nice but i cant pay that much. Maybe if i had 100k vehicle I would.

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone here had ceramic coating done to their truck? There's a local detailing shop that I'd seen on Facebook that does full details, including ceramic coating. I noticed they don't typically list their prices, so I messaged them to see how much. $1,700 for ceramic coating on a full sized truck, which I assume doesn't include paint correction first. I see why they don't list pricing! So anyone who's had it done, was it worth the money? I don't think I'll be doing it, regular old waxing will have to do for me. Too rich for my blood.

That price should include a full paint correction.
I have had it done on a few pair of high end rims, made cleaning them a lot easier. I could never justify the cost for a full vehicle. Think I was quoted $1200 for my 14 Jeep SRT. Plus I enjoy detailing my cars/trucks.

SJP_1809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would hope like hell $1700 included paint correction, if not, what are they smoking?

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Usually the paint correction is done before the coating is put on. A good shop will do this automically.
I had my truck done last May. It is killer. I had the Cquartz Finest done to the whole exterior of the truck, including the wheels. Cquartz Finest is the top of the Cquartz coatings. (There are 3 of them, Cquartz, Cquartz UK and Cquartz Finest.) Only certified and approved detailers can use Cquartz Finest. It is not available for purchase to the public.
Dropped the truck off at 8AM and I literally drove it away at 6PM. They did the whole truck including the paint correction and getting oils out of the paint and so forth. The head detailer there said it was about 250 bucks in product. (They used IronX on the wheels.) Out the door, I paid 950 bucks. The trucks looks bright and pops and cleaning is a breeze.
If anyone is on the fence about getting it done,.......don't be. It's an amazing product and when cleaning the vehicle, it's a breeze. Nothing really sticks to the paint. 2 year warranty as well with Cquartz Finest. Just use RELOAD after every other wash or so and it helps prolong the life of the Cquartz.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The market seems to be getting flooded with these products lately. I've had CarPro's Cquartz Finest as well as Optimum Technologies Opti-Coat Pro done on vehicles in the past four years for about $1000 Canadian including minor paint correction.

With my current Ram 1500, I decided that the coating wasn't worth the money, especially considering it is white.

The original reason I went with the semi-permanent ceramic coating was that they were supposed to be no fuss no muss once they were on. That's not really the case, especially with the CQuartz finest. You still have suggested maintenance to have done seasonally in order to keep the coating looking it's best.

Now I just use the Carpro IronX after the winter to get rid of all the rust specks & a good sealant like Collinite 845, Zaino All in One, Optimum Opti-Seal which are the current products I have in my arsenal.

If the truck starts looking shabby as it ages, I'll pay a pro detailer to do a paint correction & then continue on my merry way doing the rest myself.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ceramic coatings will generally last longer and give you more protection than a normal sealant or wax. It will also reduce the maintenance you have to do, however a coating is not maintenance free. If you do not properly "correct" your paint before you install the coating you will be able to see all the defects through the coating. IMHO if you plan on installing your own coating remember; preparation, preperation, preperation!!!! Most coatings that are available to the general public are pretty user friendly, read the directions, watch videos and U tube. I like the coatings that you can still top them from time to time with a spray wax, polish or detailer. It just gives it a little extra "pop" and I think it helps with the longevity of the coating. Lastly, and some have found---they ain't cheap, especially if you have someone else install it.
Jay

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ceramic coatings will generally last longer and give you more protection than a normal sealant or wax. It will also reduce the maintenance you have to do, however a coating is not maintenance free. If you do not properly "correct" your paint before you install the coating you will be able to see all the defects through the coating. IMHO if you plan on installing your own coating remember; preparation, preperation, preperation!!!! Most coatings that are available to the general public are pretty user friendly, read the directions, watch videos and U tube. I like the coatings that you can still top them from time to time with a spray wax, polish or detailer. It just gives it a little extra "pop" and I think it helps with the longevity of the coating. Lastly, and some have found---they ain't cheap, especially if you have someone else install it.
Jay
Exactly Jay!!!
That is why my truck looks killer day to day. Maintenance is easy. Super easy, actually. (If you can quick detail your truck, you can apply Reload.)
Just use RELOAD after every other wash or two, and you're good to go! Plus, with a 2 year warranty, it's a no brainer. SO worth the money. PLUS, it's helps prevent against swirls and marring. I'll be keeping an eye on paint for iron spots/and other little things, and when the time comes, I'll have my detailer redo it. They did use IronX on the wheels to get them super clean.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The only thing that kinda stopped me from getting a ceramic coating or doing it myself is I enjoy waxing and polishing. With a ceramic coating these are kind of a waste as the coating doesn't let anything bind to the paint so it'll just rinse over over a couple washes. You certainly can do it but on this big of a vehicle that's a lot of product and time to waste. That's why I'm doing a liquid sealant, Jet Seal, from chemical guys next Friday. I'll be doing clay, correction, glaze sealant then wax. The liquid sealants aren't as tough as ceramic but will still prevent most things from bonding to your paint. Waxing regularly also isn't as a waste. I talked with a local retailer about all this, we actually worked out a deal we'd tackle the truck together as I don't have time to do everything and he's the one that said, despite him not getting paid more, that a ceramic coating isn't really for me based on my needs. You really can't go wrong but find a good local guy and talk it over.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went in to have a ceramic coating put on my new sport and the owner talked me out of it. Told me it's not a good idea to do it on a daily and should do a clear film instead. He said if I need any type of paint correction at all after the ceramic coating I need to redo it all and stripping it is hard and costly then having it reapplied again is also costly. Took is word on it because he could have easily just made the money and treated my truck. I appreciate honesty like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awhile back I talked about a product called Polish Angel. They have a full line of detail products available. A friend of mine who does part time detailing just completed a Hellcat where he installed a "coating" and then topped it with Polish Angel. I think the results are outstanding and it gives you a sense of how a combination of products and skill can give you outstanding results. I know there are quite a few pictures, but it's worth it to take a look.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/click...8-polish-angel-meets-pitch-black-hellcat.html

Jay

Last edited:

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just finished up a detail on my 17 Metallic Black Sport with this stuff SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating I was floored with the end result. Drove through 2 a light and a heavy rain and not much road grime stuck. I've used Klasse, Zaino, Blackfire etc before. I really like the kit. I think i may have enough to do my wifes ride or put a second coat.

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just finished up a detail on my 17 Metallic Black Sport with this stuff SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating I was floored with the end result. Drove through 2 a light and a heavy rain and not much road grime stuck. I've used Klasse, Zaino, Blackfire etc before. I really like the kit. I think i may have enough to do my wifes ride or put a second coat.

Is the Sonax an easy kit to use for an amateur?

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say yes. The first step is a wipe on and wipe off after 30sec - 1 min. I could do a fender at a time and the rest done in halfs. The second stage is a wipe on wipe off after an hour. I followed the same pattern. All of this is using light coats. like just enough to to tell you put it on there. I email the company about maintenance and they said to apply a sealer or wax every 6 months or so to extend the life. The kit comes with pads and is enough to put 1.5 coats on a crew cab.

This is my first time using the product and it is new. I just like what I have seen so far and the ease of putting it on. I also am impressed how the rain rolls off the hood and side panels even after 3 days of driving in the light rain.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dropping my truck off tomorrow to have system x pro and diamond applied for a lifetime warranty. Includes glass, wheels, wheel wells, and paint correction for $1K. Sounds like I got a good deal, can't wait to see the results and have easy cleanings!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In all my reading and research I have NEVER found any product(coating)that is or has been guaranteed for a "lifetime". Who would define LIFETIME, the installer or the customer? Can you please give me more information on this product including the manufacture's name(not brand name)?
Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That coating by the sounds of it does the outside which is what you see....Most times rust n such starts in the hidden spots ya dont see..So in my mind that would be a waste of $$,then again you boys down south have cars as old as me without rust..