Chip repair down to shiny metal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GR00VY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do I need to prime first if down to bare metal? I have 2 small chips that go all the way through to the metal. They are small at about 2 to 3 mm. I have rustoleum 2 in primer I can spray in a cup and apply with a toothpick. Should I do that or just use touch lip pen?

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
the touch up paint would probably stick alot better to the primer

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is a couple hours enough time to wait? They are small small small nicks. Just trying Tibet it done because I won't have time for about 2 weeks. And I hate the idea of having exposed metal for that long

breal201999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple hours for what? For the primer to dry? Definitely for that small an area. I'd put a dab of primer, wait 15 minutes (if even that long), then dab with touch up paint. Then, take it out for a spin and make sure I didn't break anything in the process :happy107:

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I primed it and touched it up. It was a lot of dabbing the primer on and then wiping it off with damp rag and then retrying. It was hard to prime that small of an area without it spilling over on to good paint. The spots were that small. I finally used a toothpick to dab the primer in there and that worked. I let that dry and used the pen to fill in the spot with paint and then used the sealer provided. It doesn't look the greatest but at least it is covered so it won't rust.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The key is to use just touch up paint. Do what you did and dab tiny bits on it, let it dry and do it till the chip is level. Then let it dry and do a clear like from your wifes nail polish. Then you can use a rubbing compound to smooth it out.

If you're good, sand it with 2000 and then polish that area but I don't recommend that for just anyone.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on letting it harden up for a couple days. Then taking some medium compound and roughing up the area and then polish the area. I used to detail cars so I have a good buffer and wool pads. Then I will use the soft foam pad to clean it up and wax it. If it isn't filled in flush I will dab a bit more paint and repeat the process. I am going to try and get it smooth as possible

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '14 grand caravan has 4-5 little spots like this too on the hood... They must be cheaping out on paint, because my '06 Ram's paint doesn't have any chips on it, just scratches.

OP
OP
G

GR00VY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So quick question....... When I touched up the chips it was probably about 55-60 degrees. I hit it with a hair dryer for 5 to 10 minutes and let it sit for another 15 to 30 minutes to dry. I then put the clear coat on that was provided with the touch up pen. Anyway, it got down to 40 overnight and rained a bit and today it has been upper 40s. The car sat for about 20 hours with temps in the 40 to mid 50s, mostly in the mid 40s. It is raining now and for the next 36 hours roughly. Was the paint cured enough to keep water out when it rained overnight (about 4 hours of dry time in cooler temps before it rained)? Just want to make sure no moisture is caught in there as it cures.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hard to diagnose paint/body over the internet, but you should be fine if you cant see any displacement of the paint due to moisture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963