Clay bar: didn't expect this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
So I know what a clay bar is and what it is supposed to do. I've seen how to's and even watched George's video on it. So naturally I felt like an expert when I got ready to start.

I only did the hood and front fenders on my truck this evening. I didn't have a whole lot of day light left but I wanted to see what it would do. I am amazed at how much smoother the surface feels on the clay barred vs. non-clay barred areas. But that wasn't the surprising part...

A little background...I've had my truck for close to 6 years bought it brand new in December of 2004. I wash it and even wax it occasionally. But this is the first time I have clay barred any of it. Like I said above, I knew what to do having seen George's great tutorial on it. But as I clayed it...there were these little dots. They were very small at first. And in some places there didn't appear to be anything at all until I started running the clay over it.

Next thing I knew I there looked to be little imperfections everywhere! Little specks of embedded crap in my paint! Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!! The more I rubbed the more they seemed to appear until they were gone. Sometimes I had to go over the area a few times to get them out.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect to have perfect paint after nearly 6 years. There are a few scratches and even a chip or four...teen. But to see the embedded crap start to materialize and then disappear....well....it wasn't what I expected. I think I could go over the paint a few more times and still get more to come out, but I'd have to devote some serious time to it.

And yes I know...after I finish I should give it a good coat of Fukken wax. I'll go ahead and say it before "someone" (everyone knows who you are :)) else does.

But has anyone else had an experience like this when clay barring for the first time?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
The first time I clayed was back in 1998. I was a porter at a Saturn dealership ("detailed" cars). There was some sort of manufacturing plant down the road that did machine work, and someone forgot to change their filters in their incinerator. Well........everyone's cars in their lot had metal shavings embedded in them. Literally, run a microfiber over it and it would rip parts of it off.

Me and 3 other porters clayed like 75 cars in a week or 2. holy CRAP - I became a believer and have been claying ever since.

and yeah, get some fukken wax on that paint! :D

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I had a feeling you would be the first to respond. :Big Laugh: I'm about to head out on vacation (so I need all my money for the kiddies) but when I get back I'm going to have to see what kind of specials you've got goin'.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I clayed my wifes brand new volvo and there was tons of stuff coming out of the paint.

TenneSS/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Maybe I need to do mine again. The first time I did it, I wasn't too impressed. Maybe I didn't do it enough.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I clayed mine last year and it was awesome how good it came out. Yeah deff put on a fresh coat of wax on it.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah deff put on a fresh coat of wax on it.

Good to point out, as the clay will generally remove wax. Usually, if I am going to do a full detail, I'll start with dish soap to get all of the old wax off, then use the clay, then wash it with automotive soap..and go from there.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Real good stuff to know, and an important Topic. I'll be sure to remember to clay and Fn wax to take care of my paint Job to come, including our next Grocery Getter/Wifes Car.

CumminsCrazed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins 24v
definitely use some sort of LSP after claying as clay removes EVERYTHING from the paint. I dont see a need to use a dish soap, as thats fairly harsh and IMO working backwards, claying the paint removes everything off the paint without needing to add another step.