clay polish and wax help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e_thorpe88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys just got my new to me 2012 black ram. I am planing on rubbing it down with the Mcguires clay bar kit followed by the turtle wax black box polish and wax kit.

First off, am i missing anything in this process (other then a good wach before i start) or are those three steps in that order the right way to go. I have heard of paint sealer but not sure where in the process i would apply this, if its necessary or if its just another name for wax.

Second, im usually pressed for time only have a few extra hours in the late afternoon or occasionally a full saturday to detail my truck. Would i be better off focusing on sections of the truck with all three process's or knock out the full clay bar job then move to polishing the next couple days and waxing another day.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys just got my new to me 2012 black ram. I am planing on rubbing it down with the Mcguires clay bar kit followed by the turtle wax black box polish and wax kit.

First off, am i missing anything in this process (other then a good wach before i start) or are those three steps in that order the right way to go. I have heard of paint sealer but not sure where in the process i would apply this, if its necessary or if its just another name for wax.

Second, im usually pressed for time only have a few extra hours in the late afternoon or occasionally a full saturday to detail my truck. Would i be better off focusing on sections of the truck with all three process's or knock out the full clay bar job then move to polishing the next couple days and waxing another day.

I would rewash or do a 15% IPA(Isopropyl alcohol) wipe down after claying. A paint sealant would go on after the wax. It's best to do all these steps in one sitting but if you have garage you could break the process up over a couple of days.

Wash
Clay
Rewash or IPA (to clean up the clay lubricate)
polish
Rewash or IPA (to remove polish residue)
wax
sealant or coating

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's important to do a thorough wash before you clay at the paint. If you leave particles on the paint, the clay will drag them across the paint and create more damage. Two bucket method of washing is the best way to ensure a good wash.

As far as that wax, I'm not a fan of them personally. That wax just covers damaged paint and is a paint to remove. Helped a buddy take it off his car. But to each their own there.

Ill do one side of my truck. Then do the other side the next day. But my back gets sore easily. So you can do just a few panels at a time. But remember to make sure the panels are clean before you clay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
e_thorpe88

e_thorpe88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the tips. Is there a sealant you guys would recommend.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many out there. I'm using a combination of griots and Colinite 845. Colinite is an amazing product for a sealant/wax. I highly recommend it.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's important to do a thorough wash before you clay at the paint. If you leave particles on the paint, the clay will drag them across the paint and create more damage. Two bucket method of washing is the best way to ensure a good wash.

As far as that wax, I'm not a fan of them personally. That wax just covers damaged paint and is a paint to remove. Helped a buddy take it off his car. But to each their own there.

Ill do one side of my truck. Then do the other side the next day. But my back gets sore easily. So you can do just a few panels at a time. But remember to make sure the panels are clean before you clay.

Thanks for the tips. Is there a sealant you guys would recommend.

There are many out there. I'm using a combination of griots and Colinite 845. Colinite is an amazing product for a sealant/wax. I highly recommend it.

Colinite is great.

For the not so OCD crazed detailer, I would recommend and AIO (All in One) product to cut out some of the steps, especially if your paint isn't that bad.

I would still Clay the surface but then you can use something like HD Speed to polish, wax and seal. There are many AIO out there so do your research, that's just the one I prefer.

3D HD Speed

OP
OP
e_thorpe88

e_thorpe88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The AIO rout seems to be a better idea in my situation given my available time to do it. May have to return the black box kit.
I know there are other products advertised specifically for black paint. Would you guys say its mostly a gimmick or are there products that are truley ideal for black paint.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After you polish you should apply the sealant. An excellent sealant is Wolfgang 3.0. It is a little expensive however it is well worth the expense and it will last a long long time. You use very little of the product to seal your paint. I usually let it cure overnight then top it with Collinite 845. Sealant will protect for about 6 months whereas a wax alone will only protect for about 3-4 weeks. After my weekly wash I use Opti Spray Car Wax as a "detailer". It is a man made product therefore it will last a lot longer than "normal" wax and it will give you longer lasting protection. Check both autogeek and autopia for detail product information---lots of great information about professional products used by professionals' and vehicle owners that are concerned about protecting their vehicles surface and interior.
Jay

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question from the peanut gallery here:

If you had scratches requiring touch up paint, where in the process is best to put it on? After claybar?

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
I would rewash or do a 15% IPA(Isopropyl alcohol) wipe down after claying. A paint sealant would go on after the wax. It's best to do all these steps in one sitting but if you have garage you could break the process up over a couple of days.

Wash
Clay
Rewash or IPA (to clean up the clay lubricate)
polish
Rewash or IPA (to remove polish residue)
wax
sealant or coating

I put on the sealant and then wax.
Waxing after the sealant makes the depth in your shine and makes the sealant last that much longer.

I never heard of anyone putting sealant on over the wax till now.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One other thing--you mentioned that you have limited time and usually it was late afternoon. Remember that a cool surface is your friend--trying to detail a car/truck in the sun is a disaster waiting to happen.
Jay

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put on the sealant and then wax.
Waxing after the sealant makes the depth in your shine and makes the sealant last that much longer.

I never heard of anyone putting sealant on over the wax till now.

Same here...sealant and then wax...don't really need wax unless you want super shiny.