Clay test?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can someone explain the clay test to me? And yes i am new to the truck world. Thanks!

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The clay test is putting a plastic bag over your fingers. And running your hand down the paint to feel for imperfections. If you feel anything on a clean truck then it's time to clay bar it.

OP
OP
B

BlueRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Does the clay bar remove dirt and grime or is it more of a sealer like waxing?

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The clay bar removes the imperfections on top of the paint.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Small dirt particles that hit your paint can actually be semi-embeded in the paint and won't lift out with just soapy water alone. This can cause more damage to the paint/clearcoat over time.

The clay bar will lift these particles and dirt out of the paint, leaving a smooth finish behind. Then you can apply, sealant or gloss or whatever you prefer.

Claying is generally a step in paint correction.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Do not use a heavier freezer plastic bag, use the el cheapo sandwich baggie, your sensetivity will be greater.

OP
OP
B

BlueRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
interesting. i just bought my 1500 so i'm guessing it might not need it yet. I'm guessing spring would be the best time to do it since I have to deal with a good amount of salt and slush.

I appreciate the link!

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Spring and Fall. If you have to deal with all that, I'd want to prep the car for the winter.

OP
OP
B

BlueRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
good idea. they're generous with the salt around here. any hint of snow and the DOT goes insane and throws it around like it's going out of style.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
interesting. i just bought my 1500 so i'm guessing it might not need it yet. I'm guessing spring would be the best time to do it since I have to deal with a good amount of salt and slush.

I appreciate the link!

You'd be surprised at what can get on a truck during transport and storage.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Even though your truck is new, it wouldn't hurt to clay bar it. You'd be surprised at the stuff you you will get off your "new" truck. Also remember that after you clay bar, your paint is "naked" so you should polish and either seal or wax it soon after you clay bar it so the surface is protected.
Jay