Claying before compounding/polishing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So I've yet to do my yearly detail, and I recently bought a dual action polisher and was wondering if I needed to clay before I compounded or not? I know you want all the contaminants out of the paint, but if you're going to be "roughing" it up with compound, does it really matter?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the paint damaged enough to have to use a "compound" on it? Usually if you clay you then can use a polish then sealant then wax. Always use the least abrasive solution first.
Jay

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
you will need to clay as any abrasives in the paint will be a different shape/abrasiveness and will abrade differently/above what the pad is designed to cut - think of wiping with a towel with a few grains of sand embeded

wash - clay - rinse - polish - rinse - seal - wax

A LOT of work with as much sheet metal as is on one of these things, but worth it in the end.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's not super damaged, but I was thinking I could add some pop to it or give some of my older clear coat its luster back.
I've got Meguiars 105 and 205 compounds

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very popular choice of products
Jay

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Definitely use clay on it before polishing. Otherwise you're going to end up picking up all the contaminants/particles that are currently in the paint into the polish/pad and essentially using them to scratch the surface of your paint like crazy making your job much more difficult. They won't dissolve/wear down like the abrasives in the polish will.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright, good to know that. Thanks guys.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Can I ask a question since some of you mentioned it in the process? Some said to seal then wax. What is the sealer you speak of? I am sort of ignorant on the detail subject but I thought polish and waxing would seal the paint well enough. Purpose of the sealer?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Polishing doesn't protect the paint. When you polish, you are actually abrading the surface of the clear to remove the tiny swirls (scratches). If polishing is done correctly, waxing won't improve the perfectly polished paint. It does in most because it fills in the tiny scratches that you remove by polishing.

Think of sealer as a kind of synthetic wax that lasts longer than traditional waxes. Because it does last longer, it take the blemishes that your unprotected clear coat would. - that's why personally I put wax over the sealant (called topping). I'm actually filling in the small scratches in the polish with wax. There's a million different views on whether to seal and wax or just seal or just wax....lol. All I know is my truck is easier to maintain (shiny-wise) if I wax over the sealant.

So in my case, I'm protecting the sealer that's protecting the clear that's protecting the paint....

Last edited:
OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I put wax over my Adam's sealant and it looked great for a while.

Rather than using Meguiars 105 cutting compound, I'm thinking of using the 205 polishing compound with my machine then Adam's Revive Hand Polish and then sealant.

Too much work?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I put wax over my Adam's sealant and it looked great for a while.

Rather than using Meguiars 105 cutting compound, I'm thinking of using the 205 polishing compound with my machine then Adam's Revive Hand Polish and then sealant.

Too much work?

It's never too much work if it's something you enjoy and the results are what you want.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's never too much work if it's something you enjoy and the results are what you want.
True. I just want to bring some of the luster back to my old paint. lool

jquattro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's my secret formula

I use a clay bar once a year. No question.
Then I use Mothers or Meguires Paint Cleaner. Goes on like a light wax-type product and easy to remove with an old t-shirt.

Then (only if needed!) I use a polish, then Mother's hard wax.

(Griot's polish with the machine and the hard wax by hand. Goes on easy and not difficult to take off at all.)

When done, it gets a once-over with a microfiber cloth.

For a 1500 (vs my BMW sedan), I do it in two sessions. Just a larger vehicle. If I've got the time, its breakfast or lunch in-between!

Whole process ends up with a mirror shine. Have done this each year for 9+ years on my BMW 530 and it's showroom shine (dont mind the dings and scratches!)

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^--you forgot the beer break LOL
Jay

jquattro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct!!!

Even MichaelAngelo had that beer, sat back, looking at his work, and thought, "yeah, that's nice...."

zicemanz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In my opinion sealer is a waist of time and money. People are ignorant to the fact, that's why car dealers charge anywhere from $200.00 to $400.00 to seal a new car and RV dealers charge $500.00 to $600.00 to seal a motor home. Great way to make money. Clay bar and Klasse.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please explain your understanding of what a sealant does to your truck? How long does the protection from a sealant last? How long does the protection from your wax last? Maybe others that feel a sealant is a good investment and does a good job protecting their paint aren't really ignorant, maybe they are just more knowledgeable about detailing than you are!
Jay

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Autogeek has a pretty cool guide
flowchart.jpg