Claying & Sealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbsmithram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it's been about 6 months since I bought my truck and when I did, I clayed it and put a sealant on it.

Now it's garage kept and only driven every couple weeks...but I was still planning on applying the sealant every 6 months...but do I need to clay again as well.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ive always read the best way to tell is the "baggie test". Put a plastic baggie on your hand like a glove and lightly go over the truck. If it doesnt feel smooth, clay it. You will most likely not need an aggressive clay bar if you do it. Just use a fine one

So it's been about 6 months since I bought my truck and when I did, I clayed it and put a sealant on it.

Now it's garage kept and only driven every couple weeks...but I was still planning on applying the sealant every 6 months...but do I need to clay again as well.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your paint still feels smooth, you probably don't need to clay again. If waters still beads nicely and you think you still have some of your application of sealant on there, a new layer should adhere just fine.

jayincali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of sealant did you use? Some sealants can last 4, 6, 8, 12 months, some are permanent.

I usually clay twice a year the most, although everyone's environment is different. Besides the baggy test, you can also run your hand across the finish as you are washing. If it feels smooth like glass then you are good, I would even hold off if you feel debris here and there, to me it's not enough to worry about braking the clay out.

If you want the most out of your hard work, I would throw in some type polish after the clay process, followed by your sealant. Then to protect your sealant a bit more as well as add some gloss enhancement, apply a layer of wax to finish it off. This will help your sealant last a bit longer.

e9muzik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What kind of sealant did you use? Some sealants can last 4, 6, 8, 12 months, some are permanent.

I usually clay twice a year the most, although everyone's environment is different. Besides the baggy test, you can also run your hand across the finish as you are washing. If it feels smooth like glass then you are good, I would even hold off if you feel debris here and there, to me it's not enough to worry about braking the clay out.

If you want the most out of your hard work, I would throw in some type polish after the clay process, followed by your sealant. Then to protect your sealant a bit more as well as add some gloss enhancement, apply a layer of wax to finish it off. This will help your sealant last a bit longer.

Pretty much describes the regular process. However in my opinion if you're going to use a sealant, don't layer it with a synthetic wax. Its a preference thing, I think carnuba looks much better over a sealant.

I clay bar once a season. New England has some crappy road salts in the winter time, so sealing before that hits is good.

plainsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
I use Blackfire Acrylic detailer after hand washes and the BF Wet Diamond 2 x yr. and don't forget to clay the windshield, just use water.

thzpcs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
If it's garaged and only driven every couple of weeks, I think you should be alright claying once a year, if that. Sealants are usually good for about 6 months for something daily driven, and about a year in your case if it's a good sealant.