DA Polishing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldGrump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This might seem like a stupid question :Big Laugh:

I'm not new to machine polishing, and I'm not exactly vertically challenged, but I have never tried to machine polish a vehicle that is so extremely large/tall. All my other vehicles have been small enough that I can operate the polisher even on the roof without having to stand on anything.

So... does anyone have any insight/suggestions as to the best way to deal with trying to machine polish the more elevated areas of the paint on these trucks? The hood/roof in particular are so high off the ground/long that even when standing on something I am having to lean so far over it is very difficult to use the polisher/apply vertical pressure correctly.

tipnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest a sturdier step ladder to reach the hood. For the roof? I just made sure it was clean and clayed, and out wax down. I wasn't concerned since people won't see it. I would do the hood and roof first and work your way down to the sides. I've seen people lay across the hood to reach the middle of it and work your way out.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Three-step step ladder works ok for me. You can actually reach the roof from standing in the bed.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I don't use a machine polisher but Im pretty short only 5'9" but I use 2 step ladder for the hood and I will stand in the back or open the doors and stand on the door sill and I can easily reach half way across. I wouldn't thing reaching with a polisher would be difficult.

OP
OP
O

OldGrump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well unfortunately I had to settle for just a quick clay/wash/wax today, so no polishing/de-badging until another weekend. At least I got the rail dust, and some other IFO off the paint, but there is some pretty nasty hard water spots... probably because it sat outside on a lot for 5+ months.

I think I'm just going to have to lean across with a x-large microfiber in between myself and the hood so I don't end up marring the paint while moving back/forth. Because it is a CC I can only reach 1/2 of the roof from the bed, but standing on the side-steps work pretty well, as long as someone can stand behind me to make sure I don't fall off :p

Too bad my phone's camera is rubbish:

truck_zpsuvjq7gdw.jpg

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Looks great hard to beat the white imo easy to keep clean and the shine nice when cleaned up. Don't even get me started on black.

ralphdees

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6 engine
Looks good and clean. I just use a microfiber when cleaning, haven't tried a machine polish coz it's a bit of work on the truck, but i'll keep these tips in mind.

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
get a werner work platform

they usually rotate on sale between home depot and lowes for as little as 20 bucks.

better than a step ladder because it is like a mini scaffolding.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Primo--Good to hear from you---I thought maybe you ran away from home:roflsquared::roflsquared:
Jay