Degreasing an engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So, pops and I replaced the bypass hose on mom's '91 Dakota. PITA but we managed. However, since we got everything apart, we figured to replace some other stuff before we put it back together.

One of the things of concern is the engine is EXTREMELY greasy. I know nothing of the history of the truck, which was previously owned by my grandpa but I'd say it's leaking oil from pretty much everywhere that it can, LOL. Not to mention it blew gallons of coolant all over the ****ing place when the bypass hose blew which didn't help anything. The area under the heater hose alone had a quarter inch of gunk under it and the rest of the engine is similar.

So, anyone have any recommendations for degreasing an engine?

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Simple green, Purple power. Long handle brushes and a pressure washer. Cover everything not conducive with water and degreaser

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
A power washer, Gunk foamy engine degreaser and follow the directions. I recommend doing it at a car wash, it will leave a mess on the ground.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Part owner of a detail company. We use a non dilluted degreaser. Do this when the engine is not hot, its ok if it steams a little when you hit it but you dont want the degreaser to dry before it can do its job. Spray everything you can see, we do hoodliner, hinges, cowl, battery, all of it and let it soad a minute of two. Then use a high pressure hose nozzle or pressure washer from 1-2 feet away. Itll sparkle like new. Try not to force water into things like harnesses or coils, you should know better.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for the input, guys. We've encountered stocking issues with the alternator so things are gonna get delayed for a few days but I'll be sure to relay this info to the folks.