Detailing - enclosed trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got an enclosed trailer? Well they need some loving every now and then also. I finally got tired of looking at my trailer being weathered by the elements of mother nature and thought I would clean it up some. Thankfully, it is charcoal in color and hides most defects from a distance. One downfall is the panels are not clear coated so the removing all defects is minimal. But hey, it's a trailer...

First step ...
~ washed the trailer with Dawn liquid soap using a Megs microfiber mitt
~ Polished with Meguiars cleaner wax - as noted in pics below, the cleaner wax did a good job of removing contaminates but was not abrasive enough to remove the heavy scratches as expected
~ To remove scratches I stepped up to Menzerna PG2500, if that wasn't abrasive enough I intended to step up to Menzerna FG400, M105 or 3M Perfect It... I was satisfied with the results of the PG2500

Next task was to tackle the Diamond Tread Plate panels as they were badly oxidized. I made some metal polish using green and blue jewelers rouge. You may choose to use your favorite metal polish. I used cut up pieces of carpet for buffing. Must have plenty of disposable rags for wipe up as this is a messy job. I did not complete this task all at once as it is very time consuming by hand. I would polish an area, quit and hit it at a later time, drug it out over time for sure. Best if washed again and and do an IPA wipedown, then apply a sealant of your choice for long term protection or either a wax... I've yet to do either, lack of free time. Yet to spray wheel with IronX and apply dressing to tires also

Pics below aren't that great but do show some scratches and oxidation. I did polish upper metal trim but did not take any pics

Products / Tool
~ Dawn dishwashing soap - Megs microfiber mitt
~ Megs G110V2 Polisher
~ Megs Cleaner Wax - wool pad
~ Menzerna PG2500 - wool pad

~ Metal polish - cut-up carpet - easiest with da polisher and wool pad but I needed exercise and chose to go carpet route, no clean-up required, just throw carpet pad away
~ Disposal towels / rags

IMG_1783_zps85y4aliw.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1780_zpsxgqmtwln.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1775_zpsbblm6xjd.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1773_zpspxdgooug.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1797_zpsiuwvjgtm.jpg[/URL]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AFTER APPLYING MEGS CLEANER WAX WITH DA POLISHER-
NICE LOOK BUT SCRATCHES REMAIN
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMG_1764_zpsivkrgvex.jpg[/URL]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
POLISHED ON BOTH SIDES TO REVEAL
WHAT THE SURFACE ACTUALLY LOOKED LIKE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMG_1786_zpsn0wlbdn0.jpg[/URL]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DIAMOND TREAD PLATE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMG_1732_zpstx1rmoip.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1759_zps2vtw4nz5.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1757_zpsp9v8o2fx.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1756_zps7stn7wb8.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1755_zpsjvculwjd.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1617_zpsdnehwg0a.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1615_zpsja63vkys.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1613_zpso054nqmp.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1611_zpscpqjznkb.jpg[/URL]

~~~~~~~~~~~
END RESULTS
~~~~~~~~~~~

IMG_1793_zpsb8mofrxv.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1789_zpsdzxao0vz.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1788_zpshcqjr0ur.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1795_zpsk0btclag.jpg[/URL]

IMG_1798-1_zpso1jlnogn.jpg[/URL]

OP
OP
xtr3me

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thread Updated: Pics added of polished aluminum tread plate - ATP

Bombdigitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nicely done. Id like to wax mine up this summer at some point.
What sealer would you recommend on the aluminum?

OP
OP
xtr3me

xtr3me

Reaction score
Ram Year
08 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nicely done. Id like to wax mine up this summer at some point.
What sealer would you recommend on the aluminum?

Ha ha....You may be asking the wrong person
Any metal sealant should work for protection, however some will diminish the shine leaving a cloudy or should I say a saran wrap appearance...

I've read good reviews about Wolfgang Metalworkz Sealant in the past but have never used it. The only sealants I currently use are Blackfire Wet Diamond and CQuartz UK... In the past, I've used Opti Coat but since recently depleting my inventory I will not be restocking. Ironically, that is the only sealant I've used on ATP before so I don't have much experience with sealants and ATP. I do know that once oxidation is removed, a good wax or sealant is imperative to prevent oxidation from returning... as a clean surface mixed with air creates oxidation

I'll give some thoughts on BFWD in a few weeks as I intend on polishing and sealing my tool box - it looks rough...
Hopefully others can give feedback on their experience using sealants on aluminum tread plate (ATP)

Recommendation -
If the ATP is badly oxidized, I would recommend spraying ATP with one of the following chemicals listed below to remove the majority of the grit and grime prior to polishing. Make polishing easier and minimize swirls from rubbing grit into surface

~Powerclean Acid 2033
~Hydrofluoric Acid
~Aluminum Brightener - NAPA (spray bottle)
~Nitric Acid

* Just don't leave acid on too long before washing off and keep away from glass as acid will easily etch glass. If not mistaken, it should only sit for a minute or two, then wash off... you will need to do a search online

A pre-acid wash would make using a wool pad on a polisher more ideal. Either way, you will still need carpet for cutting in the edges as rags do not stand a chance. Pick up a few carpet samples from Home Depot, Lowes or a local carpet outlet. Samples are perfect size for the job. Also, if you have problems removing polish residue from around the diamond treads, sprinkle some corn meal on the area you're working, then wipe off with rag... It works like a charm

Believe me, It's a messy job......