Detailing 102

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is detailing 102 (previous level). This is the stuff that I have found works to keep my truck in almost showroom condition (when I feel like detailing it). First take a feel with the back of your hand to the surface of paint. (I like the hood since it catches a good bit of road grime). It should feel smooth as glass and if it doesn't I use the Meguires claybar while washing. I take the heavy dirt off with the first wash, then claybar, then wash a second time. This is all one step to save time and this way you don't have to waste money on the quik detailer. I use the Meguires ultimate wash and wax because it contains a carnauba wax which is a long lasting wax as well as it has a great suds value. Once washing and claybaring are completed I look for any scratches or circles in the paint due to any washing mistakes of the person before me and if I find any I use the 3M rubbing compound to take them out. (Always use the rubbing compound sparingly because it tears the clear coat a new one). Once I see the paint is scratch free and smooth as glass I apply a coat of Meguires ultimate polish just before waxing and buff it off with a microfiber towel. Then I apply a coat of Collinites #845 insulator wax which is an industrial carnauba based wax which lasts about 6 months or 10 washes (depending on conditions). You must apply it in straight lines very sparingly! Then waight about thirty seconds (enough time to put the bottle down and pick up a towel) and wipe the heavy wax off. Then wait till the rest comes to a haze and then immediately buff all the wax off. If you do not do this fast enough the wax will spot the clear coat and you must buff these spots to remove them which is counterproductive. I always wash the tires and under the hood and to do this Tornado 50 mixed 50/50 with water takes brake dust and road grime off of the rims and sidewalls of the tires. Under the hood I cover the CAI with a rag and spray a little Tornado on everything and let it sit for a few minutes before lightly rinsing it off with water. Once the tires are done I apply a light coat of armor all extreme tire shine gel and wipe the tires with a paper towel the next day to take off the high shine and leave a deep black look. I don't have chrome rims so I use the Meguires chrome polish for the plastic chrome on the grille and the bumpers. The Meguires NXT glass cleaner leaves a bright shine on the windows and can be used any time something gets splashed on the windows. The Meguires ultimate black restores the factory black shine on all plastic. It normally lasts about 6 months so it's not too much of a chore to perform to keep the plastic from fading to that pretty gray. Tonno Tonic is a conditioner for tonneau covers that helps extend the life and keeps them pliable much longer than without and treatment.If I notice any scratches on the headlights I use Meguires PLASTX to buff out scratches and remove any oxidization. Last but not least the Wenol is used to buff my Magnaflow stainless steel exhaust tips as well as the stainless Smittybilt sure step tubes on my truck. Its a long way to the top if you wanna rock and roll. This takes a great deal of time but when its done the truck looks like it just came off the show room floor. Take a look at the picture and see what you think. (When I got this truck it wouldn't bead water in the rain since it had sat in acid rain for the first 70,000 miles of its life and this is the exact combination I used to restore it to a showroom shine). Best of luck, JiB-z.

Attachments

• Detailing 102.jpg
    Detailing 102.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 83
  • HEMI.jpg
    HEMI.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 81
  • Duster.jpg
    Duster.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 69

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a long read right there. I'm glad you added pictures. :)

OP
OP
JiB-z

JiB-z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hi, I'm the enter key. Have we met?

LOL!

The enter key, my arch nemesis! I sent it from my phone and it doesn't like to do spaces. Tries to freeze the page. These smart phones ain't very smart sadly.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO----If you want to protect your paint for a longer period of time you might think about putting a coat of Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant first and then top it with the Collinite 845 or Collinite 915. A good sealant last app. 6 months whereas a good wax usually lasts only 30-60 days depending on conditions and how often you wash your truck. Also I seldom if ever use a compound first and then a polish. I always try the polish first and then if I don't get acceptable results I will go to a polishing compound but I always try the least abrasive product first. This process just works good for me--to each their own.
Jay